August 2014 Moms

NBR: Calling all organized people!

Does anyone have a good blog or website that you follow to stay organized or get tips from? Or any tips you can share on how to stay more organized? My life is so much more stressful with all this unorganization going on!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Calling all organized people!

• Everything in my life, lol.

I'd really like to work on keeping my bills and important paperwork organized. Also, the kids toys. So many little people and parts of toys everywhere!

• belle785 said:

Everything in my life, lol.

I'd really like to work on keeping my bills and important paperwork organized. Also, the kids toys. So many little people and parts of toys everywhere!

Do you have online banking? I set up all my bill pay accounts in my bank account online. This is better than going to each site separately to pay (ie. going to the American Express site and then going to the Electric company site). I also set up recurring billing for things like my mortgage, so I never have to think about it.

The only things I ever have to think about are random medical bills, the cleaning lady, and the dog walker... Everything else takes electronic payments and offers email reminder (and I can look at the emails on my phone... So I'm always checking email)
  • Loading the player...
  • I love organizing. Agree w/PPs, Pinterest has some great ideas for organizing - especially for household items (clothes/toys, etc). Just getting into the habit of "everything having a home" and making sure it returns to it, has helped me a lot. Clutter definitely gives me stress, I also notice staying organized helps me to buy less (like cleaning products, when I know where they are/how much is left, rather than continuing to buy more because I can't find it). We also began installing more shelving/hanging storage options, as we noticed our house had closet space but were getting cluttered from just throwing things in rather than having organized shelf/bin storage. Our garage is still a work in progress, we still have a few shelves that we need to completely clean out in the spring.

Most of my bills and paperwork are electronic, so I pretty much have one small filing cabinet/safe box for important papers. I keep the monthly bills until the payments clear then shred them (can always check past records online).  

• I do most bill pay online besides a few. I have filing cabinet but need to make better use of it. Will check out the app and Pinterest. Thanks! Keep the ideas coming!!

• belle785 said:

Everything in my life, lol.

I'm no expert but here is what I do:

I buy little totes and plastic boxes at the dollar store and each toy has a box that all the parts are stored in. So say we have a little people doll house, all the people, tables and chairs etc. go in the box and I have a lbel maker and label the box. My daughter can't read yet but she can recognize some letters so she knows which box is which. Also, we have those storage shelves that you put the fabric boxes in. Each box has a picture and word label on it. All the play food goes in one box. All the baby doll stuff goes in another etc. We have a small shelf with a rod under and dress up clothes go there with accesories on the shelf (in separate boxes labeled rings necklaces etc.) I know it seems like a lot but your are right there are so many little pieces to everything it is overwhelming.

As far as bills go I pay bills twice a month. I have two folders and separate the bills as the come in (by due dates). First half bills get paid at the end of month and second half get paid at the beginning. I then file them in a crate with hanging files, one for each bill. I also file all my stuff needed for taxes in that box (car registration, paystubs, etc).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We pick up every night. Who ever gets home first cleans up the kitchen (breakfast dishes, bottles, cat litter, sweep.. Due to the cat box) and the living room. It's much easier to stay organized if you stay on top of it every day. Most of our bills are auto pay. Mail that needs attention goes on a rack with our keys that hangs in our kitchen. I also have a yearly planner that goes week by week, and I write all our appointments, tasks, work stuff, and meal plans down in it. We also have a monthly dry erase calendar in the kitchen that I write big stuff on so we can see at a glance what appts are coming up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"