November 2014 Moms

2-month vaccines check-in (Update in OP)

deevaswanideevaswani member
edited December 2014 in November 2014 Moms
LO just got her 2-month vaccines....3 shots and 1 oral. The hysterical crying afterwards was the most heartbreaking thing ever. She claimed down after about 5 minutes and fell asleep in car ride back. From what I remember with my older son, she'll prob be more drowsy/sleepy for the next 24-36 hours and eat less. How did everyone's LO do after the shots? UPDATE: LO took a 2-hour nap after her shots and then woke up SCREAMING in pain. Gut wrenching cry. Was just awful. Tried holding her in different positions to find one that made her comfortable...holding her almost on her side and rocking her in a J-shape seemed most comfortable to her and she finally collapsed into sleep. I gave her a dose of infant Tylenol. Hope that keeps her comfortable. :-(

Re: 2-month vaccines check-in (Update in OP)

• Yep, about like that. I cried just as many tears as she did, then let her sleep on me the rest of the day. We snuggled in bed all night - she slept 7.5 hours straight. Slight temp & soreness was managed with two doses of Tylenol; one at the doc's office, and one when she woke up wailing several hours later. She still ate enough to produce plenty of wet diapers and even a decent poop, but didn't nurse as long, as often, or as ravenous as usual.
  • Cam cried hard for about 5 minutes, slept for 3 hours and was constipated for 2 days. I'm cleaning up the aftermath of the constipation now. Bleh....
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We go tomorrow.  I thought about giving C a dose of Tylenol ahead of time...thoughts? 

Poor little bug just had surgery on the 19th too.  She's going to have major white coat syndrome when she's older.

• @missnacholover‌ based on this LO's reaction I wish I had given her a dose ahead of time. However, my older son didn't cry at all except for a minute during the shot, so I wasn't prepared or expecting the type of crying this LO is doing. Heart breaking.
  • Thanks @aeandjb - I think I'll hold off and ask the doc tomorrow.  :o

• @AeandJb‌ yikes! Our pediatrician didn't tell me that so I gave LO Tylenol about 4 hours post shot when she was crying at the top of her lungs, in the hopes of making her more comfortable from the pain. She didn't have a fever. I hadn't heard of this before.
  • My LOs only cried for like 10 seconds, but I think it's because of the sucrose in the first oral vaccine- they used to give them sucrose in the NICU whenever they had to do something painful/irritating (like shots, eye exam etc) and the nurses there told me it works like a narcotic until they're like 2 months old- since they don't adjust the vaccine schedule for prematurity it still worked for them. Not looking forward to the next round of shots :(

Our pediatrician didn't recommend giving them Tylenol ahead of time, but said it was okay if they needed it after :)
  • @KatieOz920‌ LO got the oral vaccines first also. She didn't cry for more than 5 minutes after the shots...it was much worse when she woke from her nap. She just woke up again and is nursing...we're coming up on 4 hours since the Tylenol, so let's see how she does. Only plan to give her another dose if she's in visible pain and inconsolable otherwise.
  • C got her's about 90 minutes ago.  Cried for about 10 seconds, then was smiling as we got her dressed, haha.  Now home and she's pretty sleepy.  I'm going to hold off on tylenol for now, maybe a bit later.  I did put her in her swaddle sleep sack though, so I think that is helping relax her.

• gldnbearzgldnbearz member
    edited December 2014
    This thread reminds me to check the unopened box of children's Tylenol to look for a dosing syringe... might be needing it next week.

Edited for typo.

• Dd got hers the other day-two shots, didn't do liquid or hepb. I hadn't had a baby in 11 years so had no infant tylenol. The two shots themselves didn't seem too bad, she cried but I nursed her after.

So later at home she was warm and very fussy. I sent one of my teens to the store to get the tylenol. It helped. She was better the next day. I get so worried and stressed about shots. I'm so glad she's ok.
  • Beckham goes monday. I am not looking forward to this:(
    Baby "H" due November 7
    Fur mommy to Layla
    June 25, 2012image
  • Our doctor's office tells you to give Tylenol about 30 mins prior to the appointment, so that's what I'll be doing next week.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"