August 2014 Moms

Transferring to crib - need support

My LO has been consistently spending the nights in her RnP. She takes naps in the crib and does just fine but tonight is the first night I'm really forcing myself to get her to sleep in the crib- she's 4 months and a week and rolling and getting too strong for the RnP. We're off to a rough start. She keeps crying. I have been making myself wait 5 minutes before I go in and give the pacifier After 30 minutes or so of this game, I broke down and picked her up and rocked her to sleep. She immediately woke up upon hitting the mattress and is crying again. I just need someone to tell me it's for the best and it will get better and I am not causing her emotional distress.

Re: Transferring to crib - need support

• It will get better! I promise. But I have been there.

Actually, tonight found me leaning against DS's door, crying, because he was screaming and would not. Shut. Up. So I'm there too. I don't know what had gotten into my formerly goods sleeping 22 month old, but I'm ready for it to go away.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• This has been my struggle for weeks. Crying doesn't make a difference because she just gets louder instead of going to sleep. If she is full-blown crying I have to step in. It results in me holding her basically every night.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We just got out of the RnP too. I stuck two fat pillows under her crib sheet so she has a snuggly space to sleep between them. Before I did that the crib was not working out at all. She learned to roll and she was rolling all over the crib. It has really helped! She doesn't wander all over the crib this way. Just remember it's ok for her to protest something new!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• We are in the same boat! LO refuses to sleep in his crib at night. He just screamed for almost 2 hours because I dared to put him in it. I finally gave up and set the pack and play up in our room next to the bed because he shares a room with DS1 and the screaming woke him up. I thought I finally had him asleep in it and now I can hear him screaming again. How do they have so much energy to scream?!
  • It will get better!! It took us about 2 weeks for her to sleep the entire night in her crib. The first week I would let her sleep in her bassinet after the first stretch. Maybe that was more for me than her. Now....if only she would nap in her crib.
  • @JessicaTheMessica‌ you made your LO sleep on a bed of pins and needles?! While naked?! In freezing temperatures?! Wow... ;)

Thanks for sharing your experiences ladies. It helped a lot!
  • You'll be fine!  Although I don't promise no tears or worries. I'm pretty even-tempered and I still cried when we moved LO to his room.

She will take it better than you. My LO didn't even lose a bit of sleep when we transferred him cold-turkey.
  • No advice that hasn't already been given, but good luck!
  • We transitioned to the crib last weekend and it actually went great. She's sleeping much better than she was in the RnP. I put her in the magic sleepsuit and put a pillow under one end of the crib mattress to give it a slight incline like the RnP.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• I just private messaged you yesterday asking how it was going; I was thinking about you this weekend while switching LO into his crib...I remembered we were both planning this transition over the holidays.  I'm sorry it is not going so well for you.

My DS did GREAT with the transition, much better than me or the doggie (she is completely beside herself having her family split up into two different rooms now).  Not that I have much in the way of advice since I am FTM and it has only been 4 nights, but here is what I did to make the crib luxurious and the experience as least traumatizing as possible...

• inclined the mattress with a pillow underneath
    • put rolled up bath towels under the fitted crib sheet in a 'U' shape to make the crib snuggly and not so open feeling
    • I tucked a fuzzy couch throw all around the mattress and have him laying on that, it is warm and I knew DS liked it during tummy time so I figured he would enjoy it in his crib 
    • White noise machine
    • I made sure his tummy was full the first two nights so that he was very sleepy (I FF so I just gave him a couple extra oz, I believe you BF so would you be completely opposed to letting LO have a bottle and really filling up for this transition...I know when DS is full he is a much heavier sleeper)

I hope things go better for you tonight, you are doing the right thing and in the end you will all be happier!

• @mfsunshine222‌- just got your PM! I'm always mobile so I never got a notification.
  • DS slept in his crib for the first time last night and woke up several times wanting his paci and just wanting cuddles in the middle of the night. I think it was more of an adjustment for me than it was for him--he had slept in either his RnP or the bassinet since we came home from the hospital, so I've gotten used to just reaching over for him and now I actually have to get my lazy self out of bed and across the hall. I hope tonight is a better night for all of us!
  • I swear by our Baby Einstein light and sound aquarium. Getting LO to sleep usually goes well w that on. Now staying asleep.....
  • Anyway to take a picture of the way you put towels under sheets? LO will only sleep in bed with me or me holding her. Won't sleep at all in bassinet and now working with crib. She will sleep in crib for naps though! Thanks
  • Good luck with the transition! We did it at 8 weeks because she was not moving her head around enough. The only way we can get her to settle quick is if we let her go into a deep sleep in our arms at bedtime before placing her in the crib. After MOTN feedings she goes back down easily.

We also do the Ushaped towel too and inclined her bed. She still wakes to eat 2-3x/night though.

• Anybody have success stories? This is a nightmare for us.

• These discussions always make me so glad DD went in her crib from the first night. I don't envy those trying to make changes now.

Any updates from moms who have been attempting the switch? Things getting better yet?

My only thought is that it will get better. Your LOs have been used to their RnPs for months now, so naturally they're not going to like something new all of a sudden. Just like when they were born, they clearly didn't like their new environment right away either. It'll just take time.

• DS1 did fine when we went cold turkey from swing naps. His temperament was entirely different than DS2. I guess my trade off for having a happy baby this time is that he is more sensitive to sudden changes.

• @kareik01 DH and I were just talking about why people don't just start their LOs in the crib from day 1! I personally wouldn't have been able to do that this time. As a FTM, I wanted her close because I had NO idea what I was doing. We also got much better stretches of sleep (never less than 3 hours) with her in the RnP vs in even her bassinet. In hindsight, it was important for me to have that sleep back then when I was naive and didn't want to ruin my kid. Now I feel better equipped to operate on less sleep so I can tolerate the transition to the crib. Maybe for LO2 we'll try things differently.

Our update (@kandreas1, thanks for asking!)- after a rocky first night, we caved at midnight because I had to work at 8 am and was getting sick. I needed my sleep. She went into the RnP then.

Night two, we skipped the crib entirely because we were having people over for NYE and just wanted her to sleep. She slept better that she ever has :-/

Last night we were back at it. She did better than night one but it was still rough. Got one 3 hour stretch after feeding her but the rest is kind of a blur - I think no more than 1 hour stretches. At least we made it all the way to 7 am this time. I'm hopeful for tonight!

We decided CIO isn't for us. At least not yet. So, she fusses for 5 minute increments before one of us goes to give her back her pacifier but once it's a full tears down the face cry, I pick her up and bounce her back to sleep. We're also currently working on swaddle vs. no swaddle and trying to figure out what she'll do best with. I don't want to change too much at once but she seems like she wants to have her arms free lately. We'll see. 
  • We made the transition two nights ago. We are getting shorter stretches but have powered through. He is getting pissed though when he loses the pacifier and I'm ready to ditch it te paci altogether. Maybe in a week or two when he is use to his new environment.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @dvmmomma I understand! Believe me, her being in the crib from the start wasn't my choice...it was DH! But now in hindsight I'm very grateful he made me do it. FTM too so it was very difficult, but her room is right next to ours and I hear basically every noise anyway. But DH knew I'd never give her up if I had her in our room so he convinced me to just start in the crib.
  • We have also tried to transition from our bed to his crib but LO hates it. We tried CIO and like you we have decided it's not for us. I'm really at a loss for what to do because we have tried supplementing formula at night and rice cereal but nothing keeps this guy asleep or in his crib. I am truly happy for everyone who is having success!

• I'm thinking about moving LO from PnP in our room to her own room/crib next week while dad is out of town on business... I envision myself sleeping on the floor by the crib the first night or so ( more for me than her!) so it seems like a good time to try. I love having her close by but feel bad that her beautiful room and crib aren't getting used. Is that silly? Fingers crossed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm thinking about moving LO from PnP in our room to her own room/crib next week while dad is out of town on business... I envision myself sleeping on the floor by the crib the first night or so ( more for me than her!) so it seems like a good time to try. I love having her close by but feel bad that her beautiful room and crib aren't getting used. Is that silly? Fingers crossed.

Not silly. I feel guilty that our nice crib wasn't getting used either.

• DS1 was flat at night from day one. DS2 has reflux so we got a RNP. So don't assume anything about what you'll do with your next one LOL!

I ordered a magic sleep suit. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't but I might as well try. No zipadeezip or whatever it's called for us because I need him to be able to get his paci back in at some point.

• I had planned to do the crib immediately but we ended up doing a RNP the second day home...and all got great sleep. However at six weeks we transitioned because we were beginning flat spot issues. I think if I have another one I would do similar...unless there are signs of torticollis and then I would go straight to the crib.
  • I wish I had gotten a crib wedge and transitioned around 6-8 weeks. Ugh.

• We moved her to crib around 5 weeks when her room was ready. It wasn't always easy but swaddling was key. Now she sleeps in her crib in a merlin sleep suit for nights and naps. She has slept through the night fairly consistently but it takes a lot of persistence on my behalf. We have also let her fuss it out since she was months...no crying.
  • Guys!! So. We put her down at 7. She was up at 7:45. I opted to feed her because she hadn't really had a good meal in about 5 hours. Then she slept till 9. Then we had a hellish hour where she wouldn't even take back the pacifier and I changed her because she smelled like poop (I was duped- there was no poop) and all in all it was really rough with a lot of crying. Nothing red faced and terrible so I let it go on but it still sucked. Anyway. I digress. She finally fell asleep on her own at 10! And we're just about to pass the 45 minute mark. I am so hopeful to make it through a whole sleep cycle! Holy crap what if she makes it all night! Wishful thinking sure. But a gal can dream.
  • We skipped the crib because it has to go in DD1's room and I won't put LO in there until she can STTN. Otherwise, I would've put the crib in our room and started her there. We really lost bedroom space when we moved.

Anyways, update: she's still not sleeping anywhere except with me. No PNP. No fun.
  • We did it cold turkey 2 weeks ago when she was 4.5 months. I swear it's all about the timing because a couple of weeks before she wouldn't even take naps in it. She is STTN 12 hours in her crib now and loves to move around! She will start off at one end and then somehow completely turn herself around 180*. It's so funny. Just keep revisiting it maybe?
  • Ugh I don't know how many times I was up last night with LO. I am so so tired and have a long day ahead of me.

• So this is my plan.  LO is starting the night in the crib and then I will move him when it's obvious he's not going back to sleep.

We have a number of issues right now including living with my parents for 2 weeks while I wait for our stuff to make its way from VA to CA.  We fly out on the 16th, so DS2 is sleeping in his RNP or Baby Bjorn travel crib in the room with me. 

Last night he slept in the travel crib from 7-11 when he busted out of the swaddle.  I swaddled him again and he slept fitfully until midnight when he wouldn't go back to sleep.  I stuck him in the RNP where he slept from 12-2 then started having trouble going back to sleep.  I put him in bed with me and he slept solidly until 7am. 

I think he probably would have slept longer in the crib had he not broken out of the swaddle, but he breaks out consistently when he sleeps flat.  I've ordered a Magic Sleep Suit to see if it helps. 

• LO used to hate the crib at first, but grew accustomed to it quickly - she's 4 months and does better when she's full and swaddled - we've tried to lay her down without swaddling and she wakes up an hour or two earlier, so for now, we're sticking to the swaddle. So maybe try that? Keep at it, though!
  • @joy1192, how are you doing? LO still only sleeping with you? Anyone else have updates? I should retitle this thread "let's all bitch about our sleeping woes...momma's with LO's who sleep in a crib all night long not invited" ;)
  • dvmmomma said:

@joy1192, how are you doing? LO still only sleeping with you? Anyone else have updates? I should retitle this thread "let's all bitch about our sleeping woes...momma's with LO's who sleep in a crib all night long not invited" ;)

She still won't sleep on her own. I tried to let her FIO but it turns to screaming quickly. Her Zipadee Zip isn't even working anymore.

Someone teach me your ways.
  • Joy1192 said:
    @joy1192, how are you doing? LO still only sleeping with you? Anyone else have updates? I should retitle this thread "let's all bitch about our sleeping woes...momma's with LO's who sleep in a crib all night long not invited" ;)
    She still won't sleep on her own. I tried to let her FIO but it turns to screaming quickly. Her Zipadee Zip isn't even working anymore. Someone teach me your ways.
    Have you tried a Miracle Blanket? Might be taking a step back from the Zipadee Zip but it worked wonders for my LO for a while. Still works better than anything else. Also bouncing on a yoga ball has been a life saver for us and puts her to sleep. At least temporarily.
  • dvmmomma said:

Joy1192 said:

dvmmomma said:

She still won't sleep on her own. I tried to let her FIO but it turns to screaming quickly. Her Zipadee Zip isn't even working anymore.

Have you tried a Miracle Blanket? Might be taking a step back from the Zipadee Zip but it worked wonders for my LO for a while. Still works better than anything else. Also bouncing on a yoga ball has been a life saver for us and puts her to sleep. At least temporarily.

I have thought about it but didn't know how it would compare. She absolutely hates to be swaddled or stuck in one position. I'm stuck because I can get her completely asleep but the second I lay her down she's awake and screaming. However, if I lay her on my bed completely asleep she will stay that way just fine.
  • Joy1192 said:

dvmmomma said:

Joy1192 said:

dvmmomma said:

I have thought about it but didn't know how it would compare. She absolutely hates to be swaddled or stuck in one position. I'm stuck because I can get her completely asleep but the second I lay her down she's awake and screaming. However, if I lay her on my bed completely asleep she will stay that way just fine.

Your bed is more comfy! I've got DD currently sleeping on a thick blanket with a soft fleece thing on top of that. I rolled up the edges so she's sleeping in a little channel of sorts. I'm going to try to attach a picture. With her swaddled I don't worry about suffocation- she can't roll back to front yet. Granted this is night one of trying this so I have no idea if it'll work. But so far so good- she's been snoozing an hour and a half.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"