June 2015 Moms
Options

Just want everyones opinions

thay33thay33 member
edited December 2014 in June 2015 Moms
So, as many of you remember how I feel about my in laws, keep that in mind as I tell this story...
My husband has a older brother who has a girlfriend, they together have a 3 year old son. The girlfriend has NOT gone back on BC since they've had their son. Anyway, before we had gotten pregnant people would ask if she wanted another kid, she would always say "no we have no money" or "no I don't even love him" or "you have to have sex to have another kid" *side note* MH brother cheated on her 3 years ago and when they met up with each other again she immediately got pregnant with their now son. ANYWAY! I am now 18 + weeks pregnant. & on Christmas she kept saying "oh by the way I'm late" or "well this will fit me in a few months if I'm pregnant" but then she would keep saying she was joking. at first I didn't care... I can't stand MHs messed up family as it is so because she would have the newest baby, the attention would go on her and then they can all just get on a big boat out of my life... But the look on my husbands face... It tore my heart apart. Later that day when we went home MH was complaining about it. He would say stuff like "THEY HAD 3 YEARS AND THEY CHOSE NOW!?" Or "I can't stand that attention hogging b*tch"... I think he just really wanted his parents to of course be proud of him... His parents are obsessed AND I MEAN OBSESSED with their grandson, which is not a bad thing, BUT... I think he was hoping for the same attention for our son. As they've already expressed how they are upset it's a boy and they hate the name we chose. It just goes on & on with them, and I believe he hoped it would go away once they held my newborn baby which im sure I would. So very long story short (sorry) how should I react to this? I didn't even know what to say to him or how to react. I was just heartbroken by him being heartbroken I was kind of speechless. Any suggestions on how to comfort him or if I should say something to the girlfriend? I feel pregnancy is a blessing no matter what but I can't help but feel bad that my husband is upset with her maybe being pregnant?

ETA: I spelled stuff wrong

Re: Just want everyones opinions

• Options
    I think your husband is mad at the wrong people. You can't control other people or their lives. You husband should really just worry about his baby coming . I'm sorry he feels upset about it. I'm sure the MIL will love your child just as much. As far as that other situation... She's been around for at least 4 years... Looks like they don't plan on calling it quits. I'm sorry y'all are feeling upset over this.. Keep reminding yourself of the good you have going in your life. Don't let other people poop on your party.
  • Options
    I think i would be upset too if this was my family, so i cant say i blame the guy. I think as far as yourself goes, maybe just be a listening ear for your husband when he needs to vent. And im sure once the baby comes there will plenty of spoiling happening, regardless of the name you choose! Im sorry this is happening, how annoying!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Planned or not, I don't feel like it's fair when people complain about others getting married or having babies around the same time as them. Though I understand it's a special time in your life, other peoples lives don't revolve around yours.

I'm sorry to hear your husband is so upset about it. It's your first baby though, and their possible second. I don't think your husbands family's love and attention will be taken away from your sweet one.

Enjoy your pregnancy and don't waste your energy stressing on this! :-)
  • Options
    SJ1604SJ1604 member
    edited December 2014
    Just try reminding him that YALL are a family now. You, him and this new bundle of joy and if his parents choose to be negative about it then they don't need to be around. I know that sounds harsh, but sometimes someone has to put there foot down.

My boyfriends parents are awful. They are both always drunk or on drugs and only call him when they need something, his aunts and uncles are very into themselves and don't really care much about anyone else...his brother is his best friend and only amazing family member he has and I am so thankful for him. After meeting his family and seeing how they acted we had a long talk about it. I told him that it's his family and if he wanted to spend the holidays and other major events with them then I would support him 100%, but I would also be open to celebrating with just our loved ones and creating new traditions with our family and he chose that and he's always happy. Last year (along with every other) we invited his whole family to our 3 year old birthday party. They all confirmed they were coming and bringing there kids so we rented a huge bounce house and slide...there should have been about 12-15 kids...none of his family showed up...nothing more heartbreaking then watching him cry when his son would ask "when are my cousins coming daddy"...knowing they arent!

Dealing with a spouses family acting negative all the time is really hard. I would suggest just sitting down with him and talking through everything and letting him know you support him and whatever he wants to do regarding his family.
  • Options
    @SJ1604‌ I'm so sorry to hear that your SO s family is horrible! I truly is a hard thing to deal with. Thank you for your advice though!
  • Options
    thay33 said:

@SJ1604‌ I'm so sorry to hear that your SO s family is horrible! I truly is a hard thing to deal with. Thank you for your advice though!

Thankfully my family is wonderful and I honestly don't know what I would do without them. They have taken my BF in and treat him like a son and he is so appreciative of them.
    I honestly sometimes wonder how such a wonderful man (my BF) came out of such a screwed up family lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"