Baby Names

How would you spell Emmalyn/Emmalynn?

HLA519HLA519 member
edited December 2014 in Baby Names
I know spelling it with one "n" is more popular, but my middle name and my SIL's middle name's are both Lynn (my MIL's middle name is Lyn).

How would you spell Emmalyn/Emmalynn? 54 votes

Emmalyn
62% 34 votes
Emmalynn
37% 20 votes

Re: How would you spell Emmalyn/Emmalynn?

• HLA519HLA519 member
    edited December 2014
    Since when can't you spell a name how you want to? Lots of people spell names how they want to, let alone make up random names! I personally think the way we want to spell the name looks more pretty and feminie anyways. If you don't want to participate in this poll then don't worry about commenting!
  • Neither. I would spell it correctly Emmeline
  • Loading the player...
  • There's a post at the top of the board titled "Why Spelling Matters". Our lovely resident linguistics expert @bromios wrote it. She knows her stuff. You really should take a gander. Also, don't tell me how to post, Mom.

Thanks, I don't need advice from an "expert". Emmalyn was actually ranked twice higher for baby names than Emmeline, so thanks.
  • There's a post at the top of the board titled "Why Spelling Matters". Our lovely resident linguistics expert @bromios wrote it. She knows her stuff. You really should take a gander. Also, don't tell me how to post, Mom.

Thanks, I don't need advice from an "expert". Emmalyn was actually ranked twice higher for baby names than Emmeline, so thanks.
    -----MFQBF----- Oh that totes makes it legit!
    Just a fact.
  • I like the added n in your case, it makes it more special.
  • kassy66 said:
    I like the added n in your case, it makes it more special.

Thank you for your opinion! :)
  • It's still a misspelling. If you absolutely must have Lynn in there, do Emma Lynn. Fn, mn, DONE. Seriously, wtf is up with the influx of these kinds of posts lately?!

Ok you're really annoying, BYE!
  • Love, you are SO on the wrong site if you can't take a little tiny bit of criticism about a wrongly spelt name and then think it is okay to tell people how to post and then be even more rude to individuals.

And

They are awful, both spellings.
    Emmeline is lovely
    As is having Lynn as a middle name to another first name.

• What, because I'm not telling you what you want to hear? I think you may be looking for babycenter. They'll blow smoke up your ass all you want. We're blunt and honest here.

Blunt and honest? Very classy...maybe you should find something else to do rather than talk down to people just because you're hidden behind a computer screen.
  • Ugh neither. Emma Lynn if you have to but I think Emmeline is much prettier.
  • I also think Emma Lynn is a better choice
  • I have to agree with PP Emma Lynn is the way to go in this case.
  • Another vote for Emma Lynn. Because actual names.

image  image
  • Ok, wtf? Is another board running a dare or something.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• kassy66 said:

I like the added n in your case, it makes it more special.

Can't tell if serious....

• I think all you crazy bitches need to take a Xanax. It's not your child's name, so if you don't like the poll question then don't answer and move along with your lame lives. The Bump seriously cracks me up at how rude and inconsiderate most of the women are.
  • I like it with one N.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think spelling it either way suits you just fine. Both of them are perfect for you.
  • I wonder if OP is related to the "Mylez" that popped up on my Facebook feed this morning. Facepalm. I work in peds, and I'm thinking I will need to replace the Y button on my keyboard several times in the next 4ish years from wearing it out.

image  image
  • emmy236emmy236 member
    edited December 2014
    Ugh I go away for a few days and all craziness ensued.

OP, like the others I prefer the name Emmeline. Here are my reasons. One I am an Emily. Obviously a name that can be spelled several ways. I knew a girl whose parents thought they were unique and spelled the girl's name Emmalee (dad's name was Lee). She hated it with a passion. By high school she gave up correcting teachers and when she got married she legally changed the spelling when she was changing to her married name. Parents constantly made comments about it too, not saying parents should have done that, but it's life.

My advice would be since Lynn is a traditional MN in your family than keep it as the MN with Emma Lynn. Worst case scenario here, and please my BNB peeps don't shun me, but if you are dead set this combo as a first name could you hyphenate or make it a double first name? Emma-Lynn or Emma Lynn MN. At least then she'll have two real names with lots of options and she can then choose what she wants to go by.
  • HLA519 said:

I think all you crazy bitches need to take a Xanax. It's not your child's name, so if you don't like the poll question then don't answer and move along with your lame lives. The Bump seriously cracks me up at how rude and inconsiderate most of the women are.

Why would you even both asking if you didn't want honest opinions? No one was rude or inconsiderate. If you want to name your child Emmalynn go right ahead. I would certainly want to know if the name I were considering made me or my child look uneducated but that's just me.
  • HLA519 said:

There's a post at the top of the board titled "Why Spelling Matters". Our lovely resident linguistics expert @bromios wrote it. She knows her stuff. You really should take a gander.

Also, don't tell me how to post, Mom.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I love the "other people do it so it must be fine" arguement. If I decided to name my daughter Robert, would that make Robert a girl's name now? If I wrote a memo at work and decided that female accountants should niw be called "accountines" because that looks cuter and more feminine would my coworkers not laugh at me?

Fwiw I think Emmeline actually looks more feminine (not to mention correct) than Emmalynn. I swear at some point the "random y" trend will end, and all of the children cursed to live with those names will be super unimpressed. If they're not already.
  • BananaLettuceBananaLettuce member
    edited December 2014
    I did find this on BTN:
    https://www.behindthename.com/name/emmalyn

I think it's one of those names that's being used so much now that they added it. The description says everything. It even has the word "fashionable" in it, otherwise known as trendy.

*Eta looks like the name didn't exist until 2010, so...

• mjreilly2 said:

None of the above — I can't vote.

I would spell it correctly, Emmeline.
    Yup.

• You spelled Xanax correctly, why not keep going and spell Emmeline correctly? I have a "y" in my name, where there should be an "e" or "i". It didn't make me more special, unique, or feminine.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• By the way, isn't Emmeline pronounced Emma-line? That's not how we want the name pronounced anyways. Haven't you all noticed how popular the name Ellie has become? That name is actually a nickname for Eleanor, so is everyone going to get into a tizzy over that name too?!
  • HLA519 said:

By the way, isn't Emmeline pronounced Emma-line? That's not how we want the name pronounced anyways. Haven't you all noticed how popular the name Ellie has become? That name is actually a nickname for Eleanor, so is everyone going to get into a tizzy over that name too?!

Do you mean using Ellie as a given first name instead of a nn? Also no one is in a 'tizzy' you posted on a public message board and got honest opinions.
  • I mean... You CAN spell it however you please. But if you're asking how you SHOULD spell it, the answer would be Emmeline.

But you know.... Other people spell it incorrectly so you should probably just ignore all good advice and follow their lead.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Pretty

I mean... You CAN spell it however you please. But if you're asking how you SHOULD spell it, the answer would be Emmeline.

But you know.... Other people spell it incorrectly so you should probably just ignore all good advice and follow their lead.

Pretty sure I never asked how it SHOULD be spelled, I asked for an opinion about one letter. Learn how to read.
  • walbs424 said:

HLA519 said:

By the way, isn't Emmeline pronounced Emma-line? That's not how we want the name pronounced anyways. Haven't you all noticed how popular the name Ellie has become? That name is actually a nickname for Eleanor, so is everyone going to get into a tizzy over that name too?!

Do you mean using Ellie as a given first name instead of a nn? Also no one is in a 'tizzy' you posted on a public message board and got honest opinions.
    Yes, Ellie is very popular as a first name now. Everyone is in a tizzy about how it SHOULD be spelled. I don't give a damn what a baby name book says it should be spelled. Why would I want to use a name that has 3 pronouciations?! That is even more stupid! Lmao you bitches are soemthing else!
  • Even if you disagree with the opinions expressed by the ladies on this board, at least you know what a lot of people out there are going to think about the name you pick. If you chose Emmalyn or Emmalynn it's probably best you go into it with all of the information available. I've found this board is a good barometer for what people in "real life" are going to think, but not necessarily tell you in person.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HLA519‌ I need you to check your private messages.
  • You really should mind that TOU sweetie.

Don't worry sweetie, I'm good. Thanks. Bye Felicia.
  • whatevs89 said:
    Neither. I would spell it correctly Emmeline
    This
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I always thought Emalyn or Emmalyn was the proper spelling. This is just what I thought based on pronounciation and not based on any fact or research. I personally like both but I agree that Emma Lynn is probably the best route. Or at least what I would do. My SIL just named their baby emelin and I don't like that spelling at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"