Parenting
Options

Do you still use a baby monitor?

Long story short, I still use a baby monitor to hear my 20 month old twins at night, should they wake up. It drives my husband crazy. I guess I'm afraid I will not hear them if they need me, for DH could sleep through a tornado.

Am I being to overprotective/neurotic? Do you still use a monitor?

Thanks
Dirty Lurker

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Re: Do you still use a baby monitor?

• Options
    Yeah I think you are right about a compromise. I'm afraid I will not hear them but my son has been waking up a lot at night lately, mostly just to cuddle. It drives my DH crazy when I just "listen to them on the monitor all night" as he says. I need to relax a little too. He's right about that.

Thanks so much everyone.
  • Options
    To be fair, I unintentionally left out where the source of the issue is between me and DH I think. We use a version of cry-it-out, controversial to some, but it worked for us, to get the kids back to sleep if needed. If I or my H go in to comfort one of the kids that wakes up, we do let them cry it out to go back to sleep. I will listen to them on the monitor until they fall back asleep or I need to go back in to comfort, rub their backs, etc. this is where DH and I are having the problem. He thinks it's bad that I do this and that I'm making myself worry, which I do.
  • Options
    Our DS1 is 2 as of this Friday and we still use an audio/video monitor every night.

In fact, Im due with baby #2 in the next few weeks soon just purchased a new dual view audio/video monitor to keep an eye on both kids in their rooms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are both on the same page, it just affects me more emotionally than him I guess? We struggled with STTN for so long with both kids in the same room. I know they are ok, I just have some guilt that I am not with them at night if they are up I think.

I appreciate all of the responses very much. I think the solution is to buy a video monitor so I can see them with the sound low. We currently just have a cheap sound monitor. I "cheaped out" on a monitor the first time because I was freaking out about the costs and bills having twins brought us!
  • Options
    Video monitor would be a big help in this case.
  • Options
    I stopped using a monitor in the room once my kids were out of the crib so around 18 months. I did put the monitor in the hallway for a little while after that with a bell hung on the door handle. I could hear if they yelled or got out of bed, but not every little sound.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Options
    My kids are still in the crib too. I am definitely not ready for the transition to big kid beds and as of yet they have not tried to climb out. As long as they are together and can "talk" to each other, they seem content.

I am definitely adding a video monitor to my target list for tomorrow. I agree, a quick visual would make all of the difference. I am not sure why I didn't think of upgrading before :neutral_face:
  • Options
    My kid is 3 and I still use the video monitor
  • Options
    Can any of you recommend your monitors?
  • Options

I have the 2010 version of the Summer Infant video monitor.  It has a light bar on top that gauges sound so I can see if there is noise when the sound is down. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"