Parenting

Toddler shoots/kills mother

Mom was carrying a concealed weapon. Toddler found it and shot mom in a freak accident. My heart is breaking for everyone, especially this poor baby. 

Re: Toddler shoots/kills mother

• Lia1303 said:
    Oh my gosh, that's so horrible. I can't imagine how that poor kid will feel growing up with that burden once he understands it.
    I know, and he is probably confused right now wondering where mommy is. Then he will probably one day know the truth. Poor thing!
    Why have a weapon so easily accessible to kids? WHY? I don't turn my back on DS in the buggy with my purse because there is a 100% chance he will fuck with it, and I don't keep anything dangerous in it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Lia1303 said:

@NarwhalBacon‌ I agree. I can't leave anything near my kid cause he's guaranteed to grab it. I'm not anti-gun, but why does one need a handgun at Walmart when out with 4 children?

The article mentioned she had traveled. A lot of people who owns guns carry them when they travel. At least that's why I assumed she randomly had a hand gun at Walmart. Though obviously locked in the glove box would have besn a lot more sensible. If she regularly toted one in her purse with four kids around that seems irresponsible to me, but I don't know this woman's circumstances or how she ended up with a firearm in her bag at Walmart, so I'm trying not to judge. It's a sad sad story.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • pobrecita said:

How was the safety not on. Among other questions.

It could've been on and easily flipped. Safety switches are not toddler proofed. Another reason to store more safely.
  • pobrecita said:

A poster in my BMB said a lot of guns don't have safeties because they require strength to pull the trigger.

Me:.............

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • pobrecita said:

A poster in my BMB said a lot of guns don't have safeties because they require strength to pull the trigger.

Me:.............
    Yup. Some only have internal safeties and whatnot. Totally bonkers.
  • It is incredibly easy to turn the safety off of a gun. If your kid can turn a toy on that has an on/off switch, they can turn the safety off of a gun. They are so accidental discharges don't happen, but besides that they're basically useless. 
  • pobrecita said:
    It is incredibly easy to turn the safety off of a gun. If your kid can turn a toy on that has an on/off switch, they can turn the safety off of a gun. They are so accidental discharges don't happen, but besides that they're basically useless. 
    Yes. But the combo of the two is improbable for a 2 year old.
    IDK. My kid can find the switch on a toy, turn it on and push every button on the toy in less than a minute. I think flipping a safety switch and pulling a trigger isn't much different. Especially if it had easy pull.
  • edited December 2014
    unheardof said:

I know H's handgun takes 10 lbs of pressure to pull the trigger.

Also, it's a bitch to chamber a round. I have trouble doing it.

Yup. That kid is way stronger than I am of he could pull all that off on a pistol.
  • pobrecita said:
    pobrecita said:
    It is incredibly easy to turn the safety off of a gun. If your kid can turn a toy on that has an on/off switch, they can turn the safety off of a gun. They are so accidental discharges don't happen, but besides that they're basically useless. 
    Yes. But the combo of the two is improbable for a 2 year old.
    IDK. My kid can find the switch on a toy, turn it on and push every button on the toy in less than a minute. I think flipping a safety switch and pulling a trigger isn't much different. Especially if it had easy pull.

FINE. Jesus.
    Not sure if srs?
  • Guns are all made so differently it's hard to judge how easy it was for the kid to use without knowing the exact model.  The Beretta we sold last year was hard as fuck even for me to use. It was a bitch to chamber a round. The Pheonix .22 we still have, I have no doubt a toddler could disable the safety and use it in less than 1 minute. The safety is a gigantic red button and it has a hair trigger pull. Basically everything my kid loves, colorful switches and buttons.
  • SAFETY <----------------------> READINESS

• NarwhalBaconNarwhalBacon member
    edited December 2014
    pobrecita said:
    No I'm not serious. I just think the point is what Marla is saying. I just cannot even fathom carrying a loaded gun that easy to shoot.
    Yeah, I agree 100% on that. My point was totally separate, I was just saying a safety is not hard to disengage. But yes, don't be a fucking moron and carry a gun when it isn't necessary or keep a loaded gun where a kid can access it and problem is solved.

We got rid of our guns, except the one that we can barely even give away, because the amount of security needed in a home with a toddler makes it useless for protection. If I have to keep it in a locked safe with the mag out, then I'm dead anyway.

• unheardof said:
    Guns are all made so differently it's hard to judge how easy it was for the kid to use without knowing the exact model.  The Beretta we sold last year was hard as fuck even for me to use. It was a bitch to chamber a round. The Pheonix .22 we still have, I have no doubt a toddler could disable the safety and use it in less than 1 minute. The safety is a gigantic red button and it has a hair trigger pull. Basically everything my kid loves, colorful switches and buttons.
    I'd look into selling that. I wouldn't be comfortable with that in my home.
    It is in a locked safe and we don't even have the ammo it uses. It's as useful as a paperweight right now.
  • This makes me feel sick. How tragic for the child and his siblings.

In my state no one but law enforcement can carry a weapon, you can own one for your home but not carry. As for those who can legally carry, it has to be on their person, so carrying it in a purse is illegal. I don't know the laws where this took place but that came to mind when I heard this.

I have a gun. It does not have a safety. Many do not. My gun is locked in a safe. I keep it loaded but there is no bullet in the chamber.

I don't understand. Don't put your damn purse with the gun in it next to your toddler with no safety and loaded and .... There is just too much wrong with this.

I can't. I'm so upset.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"