August 2014 Moms

I don't know what to do anymore

jenniferursjenniferurs member
edited December 2014 in August 2014 Moms
For months now, LO has only been able to go to sleep if she's been bounced to sleep on our exercise ball. At first, it wasn't a big deal, because within 5 minutes, she'd be passed out. Now, she's so much more alert and aware that it takes even longer for her to fall asleep and then she inevitably wakes up when we try to put her down in the crib, starting the process all over again. All in all, each time she goes to sleep, we end up bouncing for 30 minutes to an hour. And with 3-4 naps per day, along with nighttime sleep, that ends up being quite a lot. It's to the point where I've developed chronic pain in my abdomen, which I read is common after a c-section if you're engaging in frequent abdominal muscle contractions (which I am while bouncing), and I just can't go on in pain any longer. I don't need to sleep train insofar as she already sleeps through the night, but I'm thinking that it's going to be necessary to sleep train so that she'll actually go to sleep without this need for bouncing. 

What do you guys recommend? I've tried waiting until she's given sleep cues (yawning, rubbing eyes, etc.) and then putting her in the crib, but she just cries incessantly until I eventually can't take it anymore. I'll go up every 5-10 minutes to soothe her, and by 20 minutes out, I just don't have the heart to hear her cry any longer, especially when she gives me those adorable smiles upon seeing my face. Should I just suck it up and power through? Or are there any other alternatives that have worked for you? Thanks in advance for listening and for any insight you might have! 
I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

Re: I don't know what to do anymore

• I don't have any great advice but wanted you to know that I can totally sympathize. DD was exactly like this. It would take forever to get her down at night and for naps. It was pretty much like this until we did sleep training between 6 and 7 months and I was able to put her to bed drowsy but awake.

One thing that did help me when I couldn't get her down was the 30 minute time limit DH and I set. If one of us couldn't get her down within 30 minutes, we would switch out and the other person would take over. This was a sanity saver for me since it could get really frustrating. Hang in there!

• My LO has to be bounced on a yoga ball as well and it doesn't bother me so much as does the 6+ wake ups a night!! I did the Ferber method yesterday and he only woke up 3 times to feed and didn't need to be bounced.. We sucked it up and although it's only night 1 I'm glad we did it!

Hope this helps!

Oh yea, I just bounced him for a nap and like always be woke up immediately and wanted to be bounced again... I sucked it up and let him cry... He's been asleep for 25 min now and only cried like 8 min.... It's hard but worth it in the long run I think....
  • Loading the player...
  • This was EXACTLY me except exchange the ab pain for back. I would rock standing up. Once she started waking up freaking out once I put her down I knew I couldn't go on like this anymore. This is where I knew she was ready to sleep train. So one day I just put her down in her crib for a nap and left her. Sure enough she was asleep in 15 mins! She wasn't crying though, just fussing. I totally get it it's torture when they CIO. She now goes down for naps in under 5-10 mins but night time it's taking about 25 mins. I started the sleep lady shuffle which is similar to ferber except you are in the room with them.

I too think you need to cold turkey the bouncing. Is she going down okay at night? They say you're supposed to focus on bed time first and then naps. Meanwhile trying to get them to nap however. Will she sleep on you? You could try being in the room with her while she CIO? It might make you feel better like you're not abandoning her. I'm kind of on the fence about it because it almost seems worse from her POV because I feel like she's like why arent you picking me up? Whereas if I'm out of sight she just has to work it out. Maybe just let her CIO and visit her every 5-10 mins? Have your husband switch off? Ear buds help too! Good luck good luck! I totally get it and it sucks. I never thought I would be doing any form of CIO but it's been a lot easier than I thought!
  • Do you have a rocking chair/glider?  My DS needs to be rocked and sang to in order to go down for naps.  He's at the point now that he hears me or my mom sing the naptime song and he immediately starts eye rubbing and grexing.

I'm with you in that I couldn't just lay LO in the crib to CIO, but I agree with PP that I think you need to bite the bullet and stop bouncing.  Just hold or rock her and let her CIO in your arms as a first step, then once she is broken of the bounce you can try putting her down tired but awake.  But it sounds like if the bouncing continues you may end up seriously harming yourself and then what will you do?

• jenniferursjenniferurs member
    edited December 2014
    I've tried literally everything. I've tried bouncing standing up. Tried rocking in the glider. Tried wearing her. Tried letting her sleep on me. Anything to get me off of that ball in that position. But she will ONLY go to sleep after being bounced on that ball. I just tried to do CIO again for this nap, but after she screamed for 5 minutes, I went up there to sing her a song and then leave...and then couldn't leave. So now I'm crying, because I can't bounce her and I can't let her cry, and she literally won't go to sleep on her own. 
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• I'm so sorry I've totally been there and feel for you! Will she fall asleep in the stroller? I bet a walk would do you good too to get some fresh air. Or will she nap in the car?
  • I'm so sorry I've totally been there and feel for you! Will she fall asleep in the stroller? I bet a walk would do you good too to get some fresh air. Or will she nap in the car?
    Ugh. She screams literally the entire time in the car. No exaggeration. I hate going anywhere, because I can't handle hearing her so distressed. She's okay in the stroller for a few minutes, but she inevitably starts fussing thereafter. She's never fallen asleep in the stroller, and it's been months since she's fallen asleep in the car. 

I guess I just have a difficult baby? 

• We have the same baby to the T! Sorry you're going through this!
  • We have the same baby to the T! Sorry you're going through this!
    I'm sorry you are too!

And thanks to all the rest of the ladies for your thoughts and advice! It's much appreciated! 

• ChrisseB said:
    I know all our LO's are getting to the point of swaddle transition, but any luck swaddling? LO has recently started to refuse to nap unless swaddled. I'm still using the super swaddle, though I did just order the Baby Merlin's Magic Sleep Suit last night.
    Yeah, she only sleeps swaddled, and we also super swaddle. That was the thing that got her sleeping through the night. But it hasn't seemed to make a difference with getting her to sleep, only with her staying asleep. When the whole CIO thing wasn't working swaddled, we also tried to do it unswaddled, since I figured she might want her hands accessible to self soothe, but it hasn't really seemed to make a difference either way. 

• Ugh that's rough:/ Maybe she's just going through a leap. Do you follow the wonder weeks?
  • I'm in the same boat, only she has to be bounced while standing. It wasn't a problem for us before, except she's getting heavier, it's taking longer, and now she's fighting naps so she's squirming/bending and crying while being bounced which is killing our backs. Why can't she just nurse to sleep like a normal baby? Ugh.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just did night 2 of Ferber CIO and as much as it breaks my heart my back is so happy! Yesterday it took almost 20 minutes and he woke up 3 times (which is nothing to us)... Tonight it took 10 min of CIO and I only when in once....

I bounced for maybe 3 min and when he closed his eyes he went down. Of course he cried but he started to self sooth with his hands which he never did!! I'm not advocating for CIO but to save my back and sleep a bit I had to try it!
  • Sounds like you've done everything but leave her to cio (longer than 5 minutes). You may want to try 10 minutes next time. Then 15, then 20... I'm not sure what else you can that doesn't involve cio.
  • I second Ferber. We've had a wonderful experience (for night time). I used to have to put her to bed up to 4 times until it stuck. Tonight was our fourth night and I put her in her crib, she talked to herself and played with her hands, then went right to sleep. She's about 5 months though and I don't think you're supposed to do it too much earlier than that. Hope you find a solution because we all know how much you can start to dread bedtime!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"