June 2015 Moms

Back pain - Hydronephrosis

After 3 days of severe odd back pain I went to see my midwife. I have experienced back pain and back injuries, and this just felt different. It would come and go and not change with positions. I got some tests done and went to get an ultrasound for my kidneys. I got a call from my midwife about an hour after my ultrasound. She told me I have hydronephrosis of pregnancy. From what I understand hydronephrosis is when your urine backtracks up into your kidneys, causing swelling and possible pain (I don't know if I understand it all correctly though). It is usually caused by a blockage, like from kidney stones, but the ultrasound showed no blockage. Hydronephrosis of pregnancy is usually caused by baby pushing up against things. I do not see how baby could be causing this because I am only 17 weeks. It seems like baby would not be big enough. I am waiting for my appointment in two weeks to ask more questions. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Baby #1 DS born August 2012
Baby #2 DD Born January 2014
Baby #3 ?? Due June 5 2015

Re: Back pain - Hydronephrosis

• No experience but just wanted to say sorry you're going through this suffering. It sounds really unpleasant. .wishing you a speedy recovery and best of health!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: June 10th 2015 ~ Aussie Bumpie~FTM

** June 2015 ~ January Siggy - Pinterest Fails**

• junch817junch817 member
    edited December 2014
    Yes. I had hydronephrosis when I was 25 weeks with my first. Was hospitalized for 5 days because of it and almost had to have a stent put in and wear a urine bag for the remainder of my pregnancy. I kept running to the bathroom one morning and not being able to pee. Thought it was a UTI, went to see my OB, was tested for a UTI, but then I ended up having excruciating pain in my back and had to go to the hospital maternity ward. It was a terrible experience. Are you home? Are you able to pee? I was not able to pee (they stuck a catheter in me in triage before we really knew what the issue was because I told them I couldn't pee - but of course barely anything came out). Terrible terrible. I'm not sure how you are functioning to be quite honest. I was throwing up from the pain and the pain meds I had to take

They also looked for a kidney stone (by ultrasound since they couldn't do anything else really) and couldn't find one. That's when they determined it had to be baby's position. But I was at the hospital during the ultrasounds and we literally watched my urine being released/spraying out from my left ureter, and my right side was doing nothing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • junch817 said:
    Yes. I had hydronephrosis when I was 25 weeks with my first. Was hospitalized for 5 days because of it and almost had to have a stent put in and wear a urine bag for the remainder of my pregnancy. I kept running to the bathroom one morning and not being able to pee. Thought it was a UTI, went to see my OB, was tested for a UTI, but then I ended up having excruciating pain in my back and had to go to the hospital maternity ward. It was a terrible experience. Are you home? Are you able to pee? I was not able to pee (they stuck a catheter in me in triage before we really knew what the issue was because I told them I couldn't pee - but of course barely anything came out). Terrible terrible. I'm not sure how you are functioning to be quite honest. I was throwing up from the pain and the pain meds I had to take They also looked for a kidney stone (by ultrasound since they couldn't do anything else really) and couldn't find one. That's when they determined it had to be baby's position. But I was at the hospital during the ultrasounds and we literally watched my urine being released/spraying out from my left ureter, and my right side was doing nothing.
    Oh my goodness! I pray it does not get that bad for me! So far it must be very mild because the pain comes and goes, and actually after the 4 days of terrible pain, the pain hardly comes at all and isn't too bad to deal with. But it's only been 1 week and a couple days since the original pain started. I have so many weeks to go, so I don't know what it will be like for me. But I can pee just fine it seems.

My midwife does not seem to be concerned. They said they would just do urine tests every visit.I really hope it stays mild but it really concerns me that I started experiencing this at only 16 weeks

• Yeah I had no idea that anyone could be affected like you. It stinks that you have it, but I sooo hope it stays manageable for you. Mine was so instant. Woke up fine, constant urge to pee within 2 hours, extreme flank (back) pain on my right side within another 2 hours. I couldn't sit, couldn't lay, couldn't stand. I just rolled around on my bed and sobbed until my husband decided to leave work, came home to see me, and we knew I had to do something. The first urologist I saw very much pushed for the surgery and the stent. Day or 3, she was away on vacation or something, and the other urologist did NOT want me to get the stent. He said there could be tons of issues and may not even fix the problem, could make the pain worse (which seemed unbelievable to imagine), and that they would have to replace it every 4-6 weeks throughout the remainder of the pregnancy, which meant another 3-4 surgeries. Thank God he was patient with me and waited for my pain the hopefully subside - and it did. It was one of the worst experiences in my life (because of the pain) I am so worried about it happening again. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope it stays on the mild side for you. Please keep me/us posted. If you have any more questions, ask on here or PM me or whatever. Sending positive thoughts your way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Oh and don't be so concerned with it happening so early on. If it really is the baby - which it sounds like - it should really just be a fluke thing. Even though the baby will grow a ton, and it seems like it will only make it worse, it just depends on its position, not its size. I think it's a great thing your pain isn't around as much. :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @junch817 Thank you so much! It is so good to hear from someone who has actually experienced it, even if our experiences so far are so different! 

I keep reading online that 80% of pregnant women get hydronephrosis of pregnancy, but with how few people have even heard of it when I mention it, I'm guessing most of those 80% must get a really mild version.

• No personal experience but a good friend of mine had it during her first pregnancy. Between weeks 16-26. After that it got much better. Her doctor couldn't really give her a straight answer on why it was happening though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"