April 2015 Moms
Options

How do you know if you can breastfeed?

I would really love to breastfeed, and have been shopping and comparing pumps, etc. Then, someone commented "you might not be able to breastfeed!" As a first-timer, I didnt know theres a chance you cant! Will I know if my breasts start making milk before the baby is born? Do I buy a pump just in case and then return it? How do you know if you can or cant? Do I get formula just in case? My mom didnt breastfeed because she said hers didnt come out? Is that a predictor of how mine will be? Any advice appreciated!

Re: How do you know if you can breastfeed?

• Options
    You won't know till you try. Plus there are ao many more natural and medicated ways to help depending on any bumps in the road. You just try.
    This is like asking if you will be able to eat an apple 2 weeks after you get your wisdom teeth out. You won't know till you try. You need your baby first. Unless you have some preexsisting boob issue, that has already been discovered you won't know till then. Good luck. It's stressful not knowing.
  • Options
    I agree, it's stressful not knowing.  My mom couldn't breastfeed either, but I don't know a lot of detail of how much she tried or what support she sought.  Get a good lactation consultant, and know that it's just hard/impossible for some.

Meanwhile, do your best not to worry about things you can't control.
    Me (29), DH (30), Married 6/16/07
    #1: BFP 8/02/14, EDD 4/11/15

~~TEAM GREEN~~

BabyFruit Ticker   

****** April '15 January Siggy Challenge: Exercise/Workout Fails ****** image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As others said, the only way to know is try. Do research to become informed. There are some other breastfeeding posts on page 1 with some good suggestions of books and websites. You can check your insurance to see what they offer for pumps. Also, you can rent hospital grade pumps at first if you aren't ready to buy one.
    imageimage 
                                                                                January Siggy Challenge-Exercise Fail
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Check with your hospital to see if they offer a breastfeeding class you can take during pregnancy. You'll get a lot of information through that which will help prepare you. Also, seek out a Lactation Consultant. My Pediatrician and my hospital employ LC's, so ask around to find one. If you don't want to commit to buying an expensive pump, check with your insurance, or look into renting one. And have lots of encouraging support!
  • Options
    Make sure you meet with a lactation counselor if you can after the baby is born. Breast feeding is really difficult and it takes some time, so don't give up. You may not be able to BF but that doesn't mean you can't pump. I exclusively pumped for a few months...it was really f'ing hard.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We also have to remember in the 70's and 80's they thought it was easier and better to bottle feed , so there wasn't much support around , if you didn't get it they said to bottle feed , now days they have much more support for everything ! Including what my mum calls baby blues but I know it as post natal depression , I'm getting a breast pump anyway and giving it a crack when he's born then go from there ..
  • Options
    Not actually producing milk is very very rare, other complications aren't as rare but generally speaking can be over come. But there is no way for anyone to tell if your circumstances will work out for you to nurse. Take a breast feeding class. Read a few books. Maybe talk with mothers who have nursed.

And the milk comes in after the baby is born. But you start making colostrum before and that is what the baby eats until the milk comes in.
  • Options
    You try it. That's the way you know if it's right for you.
  • Options
    Medical reasons related to lack of milk production are extremely rare, but some women can't produce milk for a variety of mechanical and functional reasons. There is no way to predict this. Please remember that when our mothers were having babies, medical professionals did not stress breast feeding. My aunt was literally "given a shot to dry up her milk." The medical profession is more equipped to prepare and support women in breast feeding now. Chances are you will do just fine, so try not to worry about it. Focus the energy less on worrying and more on reading up. We are all here for you!
  • Options
    I couldn't. He never latched and we had about 10 lactation consultants help while in the hospital. It was so frustrating. I pumped for 5 months then switched to formula. He never took to a pacifier either so I think some just don't like nipples, lol.
  • Options
    go to a breastfeeding class, meet with a lactation consultant soon after birth (either in the hospital or outside) even if everything is going well. Get support in your breastfeeding.

And remember, no matter how you feed your baby, you're doing the right thing.

• Options
    ally3242 said:
    Make sure you meet with a lactation counselor if you can after the baby is born. Breast feeding is really difficult and it takes some time, so don't give up. You may not be able to BF but that doesn't mean you can't pump. I exclusively pumped for a few months...it was really f'ing hard.
    Actually some people can not pump. I was able to breastfeed, but had the hardest time getting enough milk with the pump. I would hold off on buying a pump until after you start breast feeding and then maybe rent one to try first.
  • Options
    @Sharon&Paul I agree that for me pumping was way harder than breastfeeding. I think some women get caught in the "not producing enough" panic as well when they try to pump and only get a few ounces (I know I did!). For some reason I could let down no problem when snuggling my daughter but the machines could only eke out like an ounce from each. I know for a fact that I produced more bfing than pumping because I breastfed exclusively for 6 months before introducing solid foods (and went on to bf for over a year and a half) and my daughter thrived. So don't think that because you can't pump or hand express you aren't producing enough. I also found that I had to be relaxed to let down at first. If I felt panicky or stressed I would have to calm down before I could nurse.
  • Options
    rlc1128rlc1128 member
    edited December 2014
    My mother wasn't able to breastfeed either but I had no problems at all feeding my first daughter. Like others have said, educate yourself and get help when needed. Good luck!
  • Options
    More women can breastfeed than cannot and the only real predictor is if the woman was able to in the past and even then a lot changes between births.  Having a good LC is key.  My first birth was tongue tied and had to have it snipped, I also have PCOS and that made me not produce enough milk which combined with the poor latch of the baby meant I had very low supply but because I don't work and didn't have other children I was able to devote the time needed and had a great LC.  I had to nurse exactly 20 minutes on 1 side, followed by 10 on the other every 2 hours and really had to devote all my time to it for over a month and had to take a ton of fenugreek and have the baby weighed once a week but I was able to do it, after 8 weeks of really having to put a lot in I was nursing like anyone else but did not have enough supply to pump, baby #2 my milk came in on time and never had a single issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"