February 2015 Moms
Options

GBS Testing

I was hoping to start a discussion about GBS testing to hear people's thoughts/opinions/knowledge/experiences/plans...

I discussed this with my midwife today - testing, not testing, managing by risk factors, etc.  She mentioned that many European countries don't test but manage by risk factors alone.  Some may choose to manage with risk factors to avoid unnecessary antibiotics and possible blood test for baby if you don't get the two rounds in where some may go with the 'better safe than sorry' route. 

Me: last time I was + and only got one round of antibotics, DD needed the blood test and we stayed at the hospital longer than we normally would have. I'm leaning towards testing this time again just to be safe. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GBS Testing

• Options
    My OB didn't even hint that this was an optional test. Regardless, I don't see why you wouldn't. Maybe I'm missing something...
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• Options
    My OB never hinted that this was optional. Maybe I just didn't really pay attention because I thought why wouldn't I test? I tested positive with DD and got all my rounds of antibiotics before she was born. Again, I don't see why this would be something not to test for. I could also be missing something.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of my patients was born completely normal, but due to complications after a strep B infection at birth now has very severe special needs. I wasn't aware it was something you could skip, but I certainly wouldn't if it were an option.
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I haven't had it brought up at my appts yet, but I was under the impression that testing wasn't really optional?
  • Options
    I've been positive every pregnancy. I don't stay at home waiting and waiting...I go in during early labor to make sure I get the antibiotics in time. No regrets.
  • Options
    My OB didn't even hint that this was an optional test. Regardless, I don't see why you wouldn't. Maybe I'm missing something...

I would guess that the choice to take the test is still yours to make and you could refuse if you wanted. Based on things I've heard/read people may opt out as they believe the test is flawed, they are very anti-antibiotics, they prefer to manage risk factors. But this isn't something I'm very knowledgable about - still doing my research.
  • Options
    If you tested positive the first time I would definitely get tested again. I'm confused too because I wasn't aware it was optional either. But is it because you have a MW vs OB? Just wondering, I never really considered using a MW and am not sure of how differently they do things.
  • Options
    If you tested positive the first time I would definitely get tested again. I'm confused too because I wasn't aware it was optional either. But is it because you have a MW vs OB? Just wondering, I never really considered using a MW and am not sure of how differently they do things.

The model of midwifery care is informed consent, meaning they give you options and information and its your decision. I would imagine that depending on the situation and the test in question they may strongly encourage an option that would be in your best interest.
  • Options
    @mishka29‌ thanks that helps me understand where the option came from. Not that my OB doesn't give me "options" but that was one that he did not.
  • Options
    SaraL1175SaraL1175 member
    edited December 2014
    Some states mandate certain tests. My state mandates STD testing (thanks, Baltimore). I see midwives and they send me down to the lab for my STD tests, just like the OB in the next office over would.
  • Options
    @dreemkin84‌ I agree that it is very serious and not something to mess around with.  It's great to get a prespective from someone in your field. 

I guess my concern with the test is that it can be unreliable.  You can test negative but become positive a few days later.  Or test positive but be negative at the time of labour and get unnecessary antibiotics. 

I was reading about the protocol in Europe for treatment - hibiclens. It's an antibacterial that is used to wash the outside of the vaginal during labour. Interesting. 
  • Options
    My OB does a vaginal and rectal swab at 36 weeks for GBS. I guess this is the dumb science question, but how do you test negative but can then get a positive days later? Don't they culture the test a few days to see if it grows and if it does you get the antibiotics?? That's what I've read...again totally not a science person...
    Baby Nolan  is on his way! EDD 2/22/15 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @magsame‌ i have no idea how they conduct the test. From what I understand of GBS can come and go, usually in 6 week cycles - someone correct this if I'm wrong. So it is possible that at the time of the test you may be negative but by the time you are in labour you could be positive. (I probably shouldn't have said a few days).
  • Options
    Oh I didn't know that. Haven't read up on it a lot but did read they do a culture to see if it grows so that's about my knowledge on the matter...and if it is something that could come and go..oy!
    Baby Nolan  is on his way! EDD 2/22/15 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It is better to test just to be safe, even more so because you tested positive before.  I had a GBS test done the Saturday before last when I went in with PTL and as a precautionary I was put on IV penicillin for 48 hours because they treated it as a just in case scenario.  

The test is really not that bad, personally I would rather do the test than put my kids at risk.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I know this woman... she was the one who advocated to make the GBS test common practice:

After reading what she went through, I'm thankful so much of this can be prevented so easily, so I would not decline the test nor the suggested treatment... 
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I haven't talked with my OB about it. I'll bring it up at the next appointment since I'm allergic to penicillin.

When you come into the hospital in labor, they definitely ask if you are allergic to any meds. That should also be on your pre-registration.
  • Options
    I tested positive for it early in this pregnancy. My doctor said it showed up in my urine culture early on, so he isn't even doing the 36 week swab because he said it has shown up multiple times in my urine. I have had fast labors with the first two, so I have already planned to go on to the hospital as soon as labor starts so that I can have time to get the IV antibiotics before delivery. 

I guess I don't see an issue with taking antibiotics for this since it is for the well-being of the baby, and I hardly ever have antibiotics. I can't see how one round of antibiotics can hurt unless a person has a long history of taking antibiotics unneccessarily. 
  • Options
    I tested positive with DD and didn't even get the first of the two doses in prior to her delivery because I had a precipitous delivery. She got blood cultures and we stayed in the hospital for 48 hours before discharge. Thankfully she didn't get any complications, but I would absolutely be tested for it. No one loves getting IV antibiotics in labor, but I'd rather have that than a newborn with sepsis. 
  • Options
    I really need to do some more research on this. I will get tested but I'm currently on the fence about antibiotics if I'm GSB+.

It seems from my minimal research that most baby's born to GSB+ moms won't get GSB disease even without antibiotic use. And, among those who do the majority (normal birth weight and non-pre term) can be successfully treated with antibiotics if caught early and escape long lasting effects. The long term and scary sad complications appear to be rare (although very devastating).

It seems that there is a hypothetical link (with some research making the link more empirical) between the use of antibiotics in newborns and the development of allergies and asthma. In the same vein some researchers have suggested that the absence of vaginal microbes passed to c-section babies might explain the higher incidences of asthma in c-section babies. More research is being done on this and the research that has been conducted is *far* from conclusive.

Typically, the risk averse person in me would go with the antibiotics to avoid the rare but extremely devastating potentially serious complications of GSB disease in my baby. However, as someone with multiple serious allergies (the kind that kill you) and extremely severe asthma, I weigh the risk of increased development of these two immune disorders pretty high as well.

Typically my GP or midwife would be my go to person to help me make a medical decision. While I'm going to have a long chat with my midwife and GP about it I also plan to have a chat with some researchers at my university because I know the research in this area is still rather new. The problem is, I don't expect most midwives, or GPs (who we typically see in Canada) to be as informed on this issue as researchers, so I'm thinking the researchers will be my chosen source. Unfortunately I've come across some doctors who fail to understand how research works so they rely on best practice protocols rather than actively being up to date with their field or, frighteningly, they rely on individual research study findings that they hear about at a conference or in their shitter papers (causing me to question their professionalism - or the ability for professionalism in their work circumstances - but that's another issue for another day).
  • Options
    I honestly didn't know anything about this until I had to see a urologist at 30 weeks due to a para urethral cyst. She wants to aspirate it, but needs to see if I'm GSB+ so she knows if I need antibiotics following the aspiration. My OB hadn't even mentioned the test until I went in last week and told her what the urologist said. Guess it wasn't optional for me? Not that'd I'd skip it anyway due to the cyst. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    It's never been optional here. And it's not a terrible test. My midwife lets me do it myself. You stick a swab in and try to scrape your cervix a bit, then run it up your perineum and around your bum (it's not required to go in).

I don't see why you wouldn't.

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    CogDis said:

I really need to do some more research on this. I will get tested but I'm currently on the fence about antibiotics if I'm GSB+.

It seems from my minimal research that most baby's born to GSB+ moms won't get GSB disease even without antibiotic use. And, among those who do the majority (normal birth weight and non-pre term) can be successfully treated with antibiotics if caught early and escape long lasting effects. The long term and scary sad complications appear to be rare (although very devastating).

It seems that there is a hypothetical link (with some research making the link more empirical) between the use of antibiotics in newborns and the development of allergies and asthma. In the same vein some researchers have suggested that the absence of vaginal microbes passed to c-section babies might explain the higher incidences of asthma in c-section babies. More research is being done on this and the research that has been conducted is *far* from conclusive.

Typically, the risk averse person in me would go with the antibiotics to avoid the rare but extremely devastating potentially serious complications of GSB disease in my baby. However, as someone with multiple serious allergies (the kind that kill you) and extremely severe asthma, I weigh the risk of increased development of these two immune disorders pretty high as well.

Typically my GP or midwife would be my go to person to help me make a medical decision. While I'm going to have a long chat with my midwife and GP about it I also plan to have a chat with some researchers at my university because I know the research in this area is still rather new. The problem is, I don't expect most midwives, or GPs (who we typically see in Canada) to be as informed on this issue as researchers, so I'm thinking the researchers will be my chosen source. Unfortunately I've come across some doctors who fail to understand how research works so they rely on best practice protocols rather than actively being up to date with their field or, frighteningly, they rely on individual research study findings that they hear about at a conference or in their shitter papers (causing me to question their professionalism - or the ability for professionalism in their work circumstances - but that's another issue for another day).

My midwives are constantly checking for newly published research, and using it in evidenced-based care. Researchers shouldn't be sharing anything with you that isn't published/peer-reviewed, right? I don't know why you would go to the researchers over starting the conversation with the medical professionals--their job is to read, understand, and incorporate valid research into care.
  • Options
    Here's the thing with me. If I test positive, I will get antibiotics, regardless of the actual chances my baby could get sick. I'd much rather put antibiotics in my body to help keep my baby from getting sick vs putting antibiotics in his or her tiny body in the slight chance s/he contracts it. This is one of those no brainers to me.
    J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We were just talking about this with our MW today. The test and tx are optional but she recommends at least testing so you have some knowledge going into it. I'm super anti-antibiotics at basically all times except for life threatening infections ( in which case I'm so glad they exist). I haven't taken any in years, probably over a decade. No need to. I've managed to treat everything with natural remedies. I also really worry about basically killing off all the beneficial microbes in my body, breast milk, etc by taking antibiotics which makes me even more trepidatious about taking them when part of my reasons for vaginal delivery and breast feeding is the lovely benefit of all my healthy flora etc.

However, there are always the scary statistics.... But I haven't allowed scare tactics to advise my pregnancy up to this point, and don't intend to start. I too, will be reading more research on the risks and occurance rates etc.

Basically we haven't decided if we will treat if I'm GBS positive. We will test. I'm pumping up my probiotics for the duration of my pregnancy though in an attempt to build up the good stuff
  • Options
    Also, you as a healthcare consumer should never just blindly accept that your GP, MW, OB etc is keeping up with the most current research. Sometimes it's truly laughable what some doctors will still quote or tell you. You are your own best advocate.
  • Options
    nhamic said:

Also, you as a healthcare consumer should never just blindly accept that your GP, MW, OB etc is keeping up with the most current research. Sometimes it's truly laughable what some doctors will still quote or tell you. You are your own best advocate.

Agreed, but neither would I call up researchers at the local uni. They can't give you any info that isn't published--It's remarkably easy to google research summaries on the Internet and read the abstracts myself.
  • Options
    No, scare tactics are telling mothers that their babies will die or have horrible problems if you don't agree to IV antibiotics, or that you will give your baby brain damage if eat sushi/red meat that isn't cooked through/cheese/etc. The list of scare tactics goes on and on and I'm always the biggest supporter of people making the best decisions for them and their babies. I was merely pointing out that I haven't made mine yet.

And really the comment about eating some yogurt or take a probiotic.... Really... Me thinks that a little deeper understanding of gut flora and immunity might go a ways. Yes I know I'm about to be attacked for this comment
  • Options
    @DBride2006‌ thank you for sharing your friends story

@unconventionalatbest  I had a little laugh when you mentioned garlic pills because this is one of the things people suggest to try to eliminate gbs. However, for those seriously committed to trying to avoid a gbs + apparently its best to stick raw garlic in the gina (as my DD says) lol! 
  • Options
    I love garlic but even that is way too hard core for me! lol. Good for you!
  • Options

I wouldn't call one round of antibiotics a 'scare tactic'. I don't use antibiotics (and haven't had any in decades) either. But you better believe that if I'm GBS positive, I'm not going to risk my baby's health for the need to haughtily look down on modern medicine.

Get the antibiotics, then take some probiotics or eat some yogurt. Really.

Yesssssssss
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options
    So I just had a long talk with my doc about this because I have already tested positive.

Here is her take. I'm worried about a fast delivery since I had a 10 hour labor with DS and then less than 5 for DD. My doc said that it happens that some labor a progress so quickly that the antibiotics aren't possible. She said the risk of transmission goes up the longer labor lasts, so if my labor progresses too quickly for antibiotics they will just monitor the baby. She said the antibiotics is the best route to make sure everything is okay for baby though. She said we would take it as it comes and do what is best, but I did state that I would rather come in when labor starts to get the antibiotics and she agreed that would probably be best due to my history.

Just my two cents after talking to her today.
  • Options
    @lotsofdotts‌ did your dr say what monitoring included? Just looking for warning signs or doing the blood work? Last time since I only got one round they went straight to the blood test for LO. It made me think if it MUST be 2 rounds and it looks very unlikely you'll make it to the 2nd, then wouldn't make sense to skip the antibotics all together? Of course labour can be unpredictable but with a history of quick labours and signs of a quick delivery...
  • Options
    I have midwife care at a birth center and I was given a consent sheet to fill out and bring back for GBS testing. I wasn't aware it was an option either nor that it was an option to decline the antibiotics after testing positive. I have decided to take the test and take the iv antibiotics if positive, but am declining hospital admission for observation opting for parent observation (there is forms to fill out) for 72 hours. Our pediatrician would like a visit within 24-48 after birth anyway which is another condition of opting out of hospital observation.
  • Options
    @mishka29 She didn't say what the monitoring would include, but she did mention that it is common to only get one round with a fast labor. She said that they just start to get concerned when the water breaks and the labor is slow to progress. She said that once the water breaks there is more of a chance for the bacteria to go up the birth canal and such. I didn't even think to ask about the monitoring. 
  • Options
    Just FYI, I had a friend test positive and refuse antibiotics. When her baby was born, he had some respiratory distress and they had to do a full septic work up (trust me, you don't want your baby to go through that) in case it was the GBS.
  • Options
    My OB tests since it's routine. And I have been positive both times, so I expect to be positive this time, too. Given that I've lost a child to respiratory illness, it's not one I'd risk. However, my OB did also inform me that current research is questioning the effectiveness of predelivery doses as opposed to testing and treating the newborns.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"