September 2014 Moms

EBF and SSTN (advice please!)

Our dd has been SSTN since she was 8 weeks old which is something I'm beyond appreciative about - but ever since then I've had constant issues with plugged ducts, I think mastasis once, and sometimes it feels like I got literally kicked in my boob because it's so sore on the breast tissue (usually all in my right boo). I would have thought my body would have gotten the clue right now as to be regulated.
<<br> I typically feed just one side at a time. right now my schedule is to feed her and pump at the same time at 7am (woke up at 5 today bc I couldn't sleep thru the pain, feed at 1030, 130, 430 and pump at 715 when DH gives her a bottle and the again around 9pm to try and be empty before I go to bed at 930/10. I do all the tricks, massage my breasts while pumping, new pump parts, brand new pump, hand express and I couldn't get my right boob to empty enough within 30 min (got 2.5 oz) and bc it's sore compressions hurt. When I go back to work on the 5th I will nurse her for her bedtime feed. I just feel this is a constant cycle and very discouraging. Does anyone have any suggestions or can relate?

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: EBF and SSTN (advice please!)

• I know one of my friends ended up on a maintenance dose of abx because she was constantly having issues with mastitis. She had a good supply, but because of her work/breaks she wasn't able to completely empty her breasts when she pumped at work. I wonder if you talked with an LC or your dr, they would have some suggestions you could try. 
    image        image
  • I was having a problem with constant plugged ducts the first 8 weeks (not because LO was STTN). At the recommendation of my LC, I started taking Lecithin 1200mg and it made a huge difference. I took 4 a day while I was having issues, then cut down to 2 a day. I haven't had any problems in almost 2 months, but I still take 2 a day because the change was so drastic after I started taking it. It may or may not help you, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the supplement.and also agree that you probably shouldn't pump until empty (unless you have a supply issue) pumping until empty will just tell your body to keep producing that much milk and potentially irritate the problem further.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I was having a problem with constant plugged ducts the first 8 weeks (not because LO was STTN). At the recommendation of my LC, I started taking Lecithin 1200mg and it made a huge difference. I took 4 a day while I was having issues, then cut down to 2 a day. I haven't had any problems in almost 2 months, but I still take 2 a day because the change was so drastic after I started taking it. It may or may not help you, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

I've been doing that for 2 weeks now :(

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

• I know one of my friends ended up on a maintenance dose of abx because she was constantly having issues with mastitis. She had a good supply, but because of her work/breaks she wasn't able to completely empty her breasts when she pumped at work. I wonder if you talked with an LC or your dr, they would have some suggestions you could try. 

I think I might reach back out to the LC but I feel she's going to tell me get up in the night to nurse

• what about adding/keeping that motn pump where you pump to relieve... and then slowly cut back on the time you're pumping?? or instead of drastically going to just relieving the pressure. Start off emptying the boob motn to make sure you don't have any clogs and then slowly start subtracting time off that pump or add more time between the pump and when you go to bed until it meets your wake up time? 

• okay here's a page about dropping pumps. Obviously it's for EP'ers but I think the principles can still be applied to those who are nursing

https://exclusivepumping.com/dropping-pumps/

• what about adding/keeping that motn pump where you pump to relieve... and then slowly cut back on the time you're pumping?? or instead of drastically going to just relieving the pressure. Start off emptying the boob motn to make sure you don't have any clogs and then slowly start subtracting time off that pump or add more time between the pump and when you go to bed until it meets your wake up time? 

I dread waking up to pump but I might have to. I was so uncomfortable all afternoon today after I put a cotton ball with vinegar on my nipple to break up the dried milk. Now it's slathered in coconut oil OWWW but the white spots r gone and I hope this helps with milk removal tonight

I dread waking up to pump but I might have to. I was so uncomfortable all afternoon today after I put a cotton ball with vinegar on my nipple to break up the dried milk. Now it's slathered in coconut oil OWWW but the white spots r gone and I hope this helps with milk removal tonight
    Sounds like you had milk blisters/blebs?  Holy shit they hurt.  I just had one a couple says ago. I though my daughter bit me. But upon close examination noticed a tiny white dot.  Who knew that little speck could cause some of the worst pain I've ever experienced.  And yes, for sure, those tiny demons can lead to plugged ducts. For future reference:

it's horrendous and keeps happening! I was very surprised the midwife said everything looked perfect when I had several white spots clumped together.

• Milk blisters are such a pita. I was getting them and got mastitis 3x. I started taking soy lecithin granules from whole food once a day (not the pills version!) And haven't had any problems since. I hope it gets better for you soon

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"