February 2014 Moms

Awkward situation re: changing pedis

Before LO was born, we met with 3 pedis at 3 practices and picked our favorite, a super friendly old man at a great practice, Dr. Nice Old Man. Fast forward a few months and LO is having some weight gaining issues and then gross motor delays, but Dr. Nice Old Man keeps blowing them off.

We talked to our friend who is a pedi in another city and she said that she's concerned about LO and tells us to see her friend who is local (but about an hour away) for a second opinion.

Literally as we are walking out the door for the second opinion appt we are told that she can't do second opinions and that we'd have to make her LO's pedi. We are unsure, but in the end decided to make the switch to get LO's issues under control.

This new pedi is very good and has been watching LO's development closely, had us start physical therapy with EI, had us do some more testing, etc.

However, the fact that she's an hour away is killing us. It's really really inconvenient, so we'd like to switch to someone closer to home.

I loved Dr. Nice Old Man's practice, but feel weird going back. In retrospect, I also think a younger female would probably be a better choice for LO. Could we switch to a younger female in the practice or is that just too weird? I feel meh about the other drs/practices in the area.

Also, how do I ensure that this new pedi will be proactive about LO's issues?

Tl;dr: Can we go back to the pedi practice that we left to see a different dr? How do we know that a new dr will address LO's issues?

Re: Awkward situation re: changing pedis

• I agree with PPs. You need to do what is best for your LO and your family, period.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the reassurance! DH really thinks we shouldn't go back and -- if we do -- we need to make up a lie about why we left. I think that's dumb. He even thinks we should go back to Dr. Nice Old Man to make it easier. I think that's really dumb!

I'll see if we can have a meet and greet appt with one of the younger female drs (yeah, LO is a girl :smile: ) to try to get her thoughts on LO's development.

As for the hour drive, I don't mind so much for check ups, but it's been terrible for sick visits and LO is sick all.the.time from daycare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"