Baby Names

POLL! Two middle names are....

pblgepblge member
edited December 2014 in Baby Names
I ask this question specifically for the US, as I know multiple middle names are common in other cultures.
**********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage

POLL! Two middle names are.... 126 votes

Never a good idea and a PITA to deal with
19% 24 votes
Not a good option, better to choose
22% 28 votes
Okay if you really, really have to (e.g., family reasons)
48% 61 votes
Cool and different
7% 9 votes
SS
3% 4 votes

Re: POLL! Two middle names are....

• I know you said only US but they are not the norm near me either so I can feel I can answer

I have 2 middle names - and can't say they have been difficult, yes on some things they can be but mostly not. 
    DS has 2 as well and so far no issues.

It is more a consideration of length not how many names

• My brother has two middle names, and it's never been weird or a problem. Only issue is if you're a big fan of monogrammed things, as they usually have a 3 letter limit.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on the names and how long they are. Someone I know gave her daughter a hyphenated first name, 2 middle names and a hyphenated last name which IMO is just too much.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers 

• We considered two middle names but eventually decided against it. It just seemed too much and I was worried it might cause problems or confusion.

I wouldn't side eye it though.
  • My sibling, cousins, children and I all have two MNs, it's really not an issue.

• IMO, it just ends up looking very indecisive and sounding like a mouthful. But, the middle name spot is kind of the primary place to put your unique mark on the name, so if the double middle is your thing, then I think it's fine. I would never side eye it. I just think it takes away from the name and the flow a bit.
  • Thanks for the responses! I really don't want two mns, but DH and I are just going around and around, and this would be one solution--both grandmother's names would be used. I'm beginning to suspect that DH is just being contrary. The last time we talked about this he said he's not even sure on the fn that I thought we were in agreement about, and he wants to go consult name books. Sigh.

The other problem is the precedent. If we use both grandmother names, then what do we do if we have a boy next time? This is very likely, as we did IVF with genetic testing and the vast majority of our frozen embryos are male. He's already said he wants a boy to have his father's name as a mn, which I'm okay with, but wouldn't that sort of give the middle finger to my dad?

Rhetorical question, really. Happy new year, all!
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • It's not that big of a deal but I would never do it. I had one friend who said it was an annoyance. 

I see double/triple FNs all the time at work, we don't live in the US and naming laws are different here because MNs are always the mother's maiden name. I'm not as against double MNs as I was before I moved here but I still just wouldn't do it.

Unrelated but we had a woman with five names at work once and we couldn't fit her name on the document she needed :/ it seemed borderline embarrassing to her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"