2nd Trimester
Options

Taking Effexor and subutex during pregnancy

I am a recovering drug addict, and have been in recovery for 2 years. In order to help me with that, part of my treatment has been both physical and mental. I have been prescribed 75 mg of Effexor and 16 mg of subutex. Have been on these meds a couple years or so. The dr. Says I must see a psychiatrist to determine whether or not I should continue the Effexor throughout whole pregnancy. In years past, I have been unable to find a psychiatrist who takes my Medicaid insurance. Is there anyone else out there with these sort of concerns?

Re: Taking Effexor and subutex during pregnancy

• Options
    Also, I was told that I MUST stay on the subutex throughout. THAT part I understand, but would like to know if anyone has any experience they could share with me. So far , everything with baby boy is completely healthy. We had our first ultrasound screening on the 23rd of December and I can't even begin to tell you how joyous it was to see HIM! We could see it was a boy right away! Not to mention, he was so active and we could see him so clearly!!! I am unsure about the whole Effexor thing because the good of me taking it may outweigh the bad. Need a psyc dr. To help make this decision. Feeling happy and a little unsure. Please, I just need to know that I am not completely alone in this debacle. Anyone?
  • Options
    I guess I just wanted to hear from other women who may have faced this problem. I know what happened last time I stopped taking it, it wasn't pretty. I guess my question is, do you think it is really bad for the baby?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be more concerned about the subtex as I ASSUME the baby would have some withdrawal symtoms when born. Maybe something like naltrexone would be a safer alternative?? Best of luck to you and your little one and congrats on your soberity! Great accomplishment!

(RN in substance abuse/mental health)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Subutex is perfectly fine and if you Google the drug theres alot of prego woman on it with perfectly healthy kids. Also there is no withdrawing with subutex compared to methadone. Im currently taking 4mg a day of suboxin but trying to find a M.D to give me subutex that'll except my insurance. Regardless theres tons of children out there with mothers that have taking suboxin also.
    Best of luck
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your positive input!! I too was on suboxin for a while. As soon as my Dr. Found out I was pregnant, he switched me to subutex. He said that the naloxone was no good for baby. Whoever is giving you the four mg. should switch you. Best wishes to you and yours! Thank you again. Hope you find that Dr.!
  • Options
    I was on methadone for my first two pregnancies. 110mgs and 83mgs. Our first son came home with us, no huge issues. Our second had a 3 week nicu stay that was hell. I was down to 12mgs when I unexpectedly got pregnant and weaned down to 1mg with my last dose being November 2nd. I ended up increasing my Zoloft however. I don't know much about suboxone and subutex, but it would prepare yourself just in case baby does have some withdrawals from either that or the Effexor. I wasn't prepared even though I knew there was a chance.

Regardless, you are doing the right things. If those meds are what it takes for you to stay healthy, happy, and sober, then that's the best thing. You should be extremely proud of yourself for getting and staying sober. I know how hard that can be. Feel free to message me!
  • Options

I hope you can find a psychiatrist to talk with. I'm 15 weeks, and my psychiatrist & OB have agreed that it's best for me to continue taking 75 mg of Effexor for the duration of my pregnancy. I also consulted with an OB who specializes in genetics & tetratrology (side effects caused by medication) and she also agreed that in my case, the benefits of Effexor probably outweighed the risks.

Whatever you do, please don't stop taking your meds without consulting with your physician first. Everyone is different & there is no research saying Effexor is unsafe - there's just more research on other drugs that have been on the market longer. Try not to compare yourself to others who say "Well I went off all my drugs when I was TTC" blah blah blah. I'm glad that worked for them, but it doesn't work for everyone, and baby does best when mama is happy and healthy, and for some people, that means taking anti-depressants and other meds.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"