January 2015 Moms
Options

Macrobid during 3rd trimester/breastfeeding

I've had to macrobid for most of my pregnancy due to recurring bladder infections. I'm now almost 36 weeks. I recently did some research on macrobid and read that it should not be used in the final weeks of pregnancy or during breastfeeding. My doctor never mentioned this to me. When I asked the OB nurses that would not tell me whether or not it was safe but that I could discontinue it. I'm extremely angry that is not given this information by my doctor ahead of time and it did not sound like she planned on telling me. So I stopped the macrobid and asked my pharmacist. She said the half life was 20-60 minutes if I remember right, and it was in fact not safe for breastfeeding. I'm hoping that it completely leaves my system before baby girl gets here.

Has anyone taken macrobid long term and then breastfed? How long after stopping it were you able to breastfeed? My doctor said she would discuss this with me at my next appointment but I'm anxious to know if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Macrobid during 3rd trimester/breastfeeding

• Options
    I was also on multiple doses of Macrobid for recurrent UTIs during second tri. I ended up in L&D 3 times because I had so many contractions. After the third time, around week 26, my doctor put me on a lower dose of Macrobid as a suppressant. I was on it for 10 weeks and he instructed me to end it at 36 weeks. He said if anything happens at this point, he would not stop labor. He said I couldn't be on that medication past 36 weeks for the baby. I also plan on breastfeeding which is another reason why he had my stop it. I know every doctor is different, but I am surprised they didn't explain that to you.

Ella Rose

1/17/15 born via IVF w/ ICSI

Spontaneous Twins!

Due January 2016

Follow our Journey

• Options
    That half life is very short, so unless you are already in labor I wouldn't worry, but as PP have said talk to you doc about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"