November 2014 Moms
Options

Supplementing (BM and formula combo) moms

mamaluzimamaluzi member
edited December 2014 in November 2014 Moms
Hi all! So I have a moderately low supply and have been supplementing with formula, usually in the late afternoon/evenings. Ialso try to pump 1-2 times a day (1xAM and 1xPM), usually getting 1-1.5oz each session (after a feeding). I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around my little ones' cues...sometimes she does hunger cues when she is wet, or gassy, or tired, so I never know if she's "satisfied" unless she is very obviously so. Sometimes she has a supplement after the morning feeds, but not always. I worry that the 2oz of formula I offer her is too much and will make her overfull...is this possible? (ie, is she fussy after a feeding because of tummy trouble and not hunger? So many things to worry about lol) Usually, when my hubby gives her a bottle, she takes about 3oz. We did a weighted feeding in the evening at around 2 weeks old, and it seemed she was getting 1.5oz from me. I'm not sure if this is still the case, and/or if it's different in the mornings when my supply is higher, but if it is, she should be only wanting 1.5oz formula after a BF session, if anything. Lately, if I've offered a 2oz supp, she's been taking the whole 2oz...is this because she's now bigger (1 month old), or because I'm offering the supp too much, or offering too much supp after each feeding in general...? I do paced bottle feeding, and use very slow flow nipples - she does really well, especially since I use a shield so she's used to the plastic feeling during both BFing and FFing. Also, it's hard for me to guage when she's "done" - it seems like she'll always take the bottle if I offer it, even if I sit her up and do paced feeding, and also sometimes when she's BFing, she'll pop off the breast on her own and clamp her mouth shut, but then 15 min later is giving me hungry cues (I think?) and will go back on the breast or want a supp...? I'm not quite sure what my question is here, but I guess I'm just looking for other supplementing moms and wondering what's worked for you, what your goals are, any struggles, how you read cues, and where you're headed? Thanks - sorry for the convoluded mess I made of this post! :-P
October Challenge: How I feel about the 3rd trimester:

Throwback: Hubby and I on our first date (Nov 2007), and then again on our wedding day (Nov 2012)

Re: Supplementing (BM and formula combo) moms

• Options
    My son is 5 weeks and I'm exclusively pumping right now but supplement with formula when needed. The first three weeks I had to supplement daily. I think the quantity you're discussing is right on with what we've experienced.

I found that there was no difference in the amount he wanted regardless of whether it was formula or breast milk, or a combo of both. We use the pre-mixed liquid formula at the recommendation of our doctor. At first he wanted two ounces, then 2.5. The last week has been 2.5-4.5 with a typical feeding being 3-3.5.

He is going through a growth spurt or at least a hungry phase- eating those 3oz much more frequently during the day, so right now my goal is pumping enough to keep up with his demands. If I can't, back to supplementing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have similar issues.  Do you have an LC you can work with?  Ours is the best thing in the whole wide world!  I can share our experience and what we do, but that of course may not be what you should do.  

When she was littler we fed her until she stopped eating and she puked a bunch, so we stopped that.  Yes, I do believe you can overfeed them.  Someone else might know better than me.

Weighted feedings are pretty tricky and I was told you really shouldn't go by them hard and fast.  It could be that your baby was just having a snack that time or something else.  A larger set of weighted feedings might give a more accurate picture.  Having said that, we've done two weighted feedings with our LC and then supplement there in the office.  She helps us watch for the cues.  

What we do is give her more in small portions (like 1 oz or 1/2 oz at a time) and burp in between.  This is supposed to help babies get the "I'm full!" signal from their belly.  If she is still unhappy, we give more.  This two weeks, our LC encouraged us to offer 1 oz after feeding (I transferred 2.4 oz in the office) and monitor if she is hungry faster than usual.  Due to traveling for the holidays, etc, I have been giving her more supplementing and less time on the boob because I'm in public, etc so I didn't do this very well, but it seems like a good method!

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"