High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Question for those with GD

At what point did your doctor recommend medication? My ob freaked out about my fasting numbers (averaging around 115-125) despite evening snacks and following the diet. I'm never below 130 an hour after eating either-usually around 150-160. She insisted that I start medication but she won't prescribe anything. I can't get into my mfm until 1/12. I'm worried about going so long with high numbers. Would you seek out a different doctor or not worry about it?
 image image image
TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
PAIF/SAIF welcome
Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time

Re: Question for those with GD

• Options
    With my last pregnancy and my GD I had about 5 above normal waking numbers before my doctor prescribed something before bedtime.

Seems really strange your doctor is freaking out, but won't prescribe something. I think I would insist she prescribe it, or seek out another doctor at this point.

bfp #1 10/15/2009 m/c 11/4/09 10 weeks Lily you are not forgotten
    bfp #2 4/5/2010 CP, m/c 4/12/10 5 weeks Baby Lo
    Diagnosed PCOS 10/10 RX 1500 mg Metformin/day
    bfp#3 4/5/2011 Missed m/c discovered 5/24/2011 (10w 5d) baby Asher stopped growing at 6 weeks
    I know he is playing with his siblings in heaven right now...

rx'd factor II gene mutation 7/11 prescribed 5000 units Heparin daily
    rx'd Sjogren's Disease 8/11

bfp #4 9-6-2012 RAINBOW Baby Ky born 5-9-13
    bfp #5 8-26-14  RAINBOW #2 Due 5-8-2015

baby development
  • Options
    I've been able to control mine with diet...but I would definitely be asking for meds. That is just too high by my drs standards. Especially for fasting #'s. Hope you hear something soon.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They have been high since Thanksgiving too.
     image image image
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    I don't have anything useful to add, but am following this thread because my numbers have been higher than I'd like and I'm not sure what my own doctor will say when she sees them. Im curious to see what ends up happening for you.
  • Options
    I've tried the only two mfms in town. The soonest they can get me in is January 12th. My ob knows this. You'd think if she's not sure of the dosage she'd call over there and ask rather than just having me go for almost 2 months without being medicated. I'm so frustrated.
     image image image
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    After the first week of trying to manage it without medication and checking blood sugars four times a day, I was having fasting levels similar to yours and after meals, sometimes going into the 200s-220s.  My OB started me on glyburide.  After adjusting dosages a few times, I now take 5mg in the morning and then another 5 mg again around 4 pm.  Since then, my numbers have been much better and pretty much always in range.  However, if I eat crap, I'll still have a reading above the 120 two hours after a meal but nothing like before the medication.
    Me: 31 DH:36
    DSS: 15 DS: 7
    DD born 1/3/15

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was given glyburide after about 5 above normal numbers in a week (fasting) my after meal numbers are fine unless I eat badly. They have upped my amount 1x and I expect it to be upped again soon since the numbers are starting to inch up again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I didn't even have high fasting numbers, but a few high numbers after eating and she put me on Metformin. My highest number has been 150.
  • Options
    I'm on humulin now twice a day but still haven't seen a difference in fasting numbers. At least I got in to talk to my mfm about it. She will most likely adjust my dose next Wednesday.
     image image image
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    My nutritionist wants my fasting numbers under 90. They are typically between 86-95 with a few over 100 here and there. She told me if I have they start trending over 100 at all, we need to talk about insulin (even though my 1-hour post eating numbers are always within range). 

If my numbers were as high as yours I'd be pretty aggressive about getting on medication. GD typically comes on around week 26-28, so in most cases it can only effect the baby for 12 weeks or so. I'd be concerned that each week that goes by can have an impact. That said, I don't KNOW if your numbers are in the danger zone, but if it were me, I'd be pretty anxious to find a solution. 

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    abookwormabookworm member
    edited December 2014
    My fasting numbers used to be 100-110, and after meal numbers were 130-145, and I was put on insulin for 2 pregnancies. I've had a lot of experience tweaking my diet, and have needed to not only adhere to the upper limits of 30g carbs for breakfast & 45 g for lunch and dinner, I have eliminated white breads, all pasta, bagels, granola, and instead have switched to organic bread (I like Dave's 60-cal a slice bread), organic steel cut oatmeal, organic brown rice and organic corn. Corn chips and too much rice raise my sugars too much. I can eat organic ice cream, but I have to cut back on other carbs during the day to prevent my morning readings from being too high. I can also have organic dark chocolate. I mostly follow the Paleo diet, although I haven't done it as well recently because I'm still in the first trimester. Also I have a treadmill at home and if I had numbers like yours I'd walk for 20 minutes after every meal, and also an extra time before bedtime. If I ever have high blood sugars, just running for 60 seconds will lower my sugars a lot, followed by 10 minutes of walking.
    my age: 40 but will be 41 in 2 months, DH 38 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"