April 2015 Moms

Worried about heart

I've dealt with heart palpitations for several years and the doctor always thought it was from anxiety. I've had several EKGs and worn a heart monitor and everything came back with no concerns. I'm 22 weeks pregnant with my first child and the palpitations seem to be more prevalent. I'm terrified that my heart won't be strong enough for labor. Irrational fears seem so real when pregnant. Can anyone relate?

Re: Worried about heart

• My new OB diagnosed me with a murmer today.. I'm not much encouragement but I'm worrying about the same things too! Hope all goes ok!
  • Loading the player...
  • @maldiaz are the palpitations worse while standing vs. laying down? Before I was pregnant with my first I had POTS which is heart racing on standing or sometimes even sitting. Due to that I read a book on the Bradley birthing method because they show you how to lay down during labor and relax. It was also put in my chart before hand that if I needed an epidural to start with a low dose to make sure my blood pressure didn't drop. The last 3 weeks of pregnancy I was so tired I couldn't imagine giving birth, but when the day came I had a great labor and delivery.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • I've always had heart palpitations which seem to correlate with stress. During my first pregnancy, they were pretty bad. My MFM said that is very typical during pregnancy. He wasn't at all concerned. You should def discuss with your own doctor.
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Had a conversation with my OB about this last Tuesday. I have a small heart murmur which feels like an extra beat/flutter every once in a while. Lately I've been having more thundering heart beats when I go to bed at night and they have really scared me (I'dsay 2-3 times a week for about 2 min). She told me the excess of blood generated at this point in pregnancy can often "overwhelm" the cardiac system especially when getting up or laying down (going from vertical to horizontal or vice versa). She ALSO said -- and this really surprised me-- that many of her patients report this going away or at least lessening by the beginning of the third trimester!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"