Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D & C and follow up u/s questions

We have our "to be sure" ultrasound on Tuesday. We know that there is no longer a heartbeat. I'm guessing that means the embryos shouldn't have grown any more, but I just wanted to know what to expect. Is it possible for them to have grown a bit? Also, I read the sticky for the d & c questions and it was so helpful. Did anyone have "twilight sleep" anesthesia? I saw that someone had general and I've never had that. Thank you all for sharing.
Me: 34 | He: 40
TTC since 08/2012
DX: DOR

Re: D & C and follow up u/s questions

• I'm so sorry for your loss.  I've had two D&Cs, both with propofol and versed, which is often referred to as twilight sedation.  For me though, I was totally out.  It is basically like general anesthesia except that you are breathing on your own and are not intubated.  I don't remember a thing.  

With respect to the follow up ultrasound, with my first loss I had a follow up ultrasound after a week.  The embryo had not grown at all.  I'm not sure if it is possible for the embryo to grow at all after there is no heartbeat.

I am so sorry you are going through this.  :(
    Married to DH since 6/30/2007
    Me: 32  DH: 32
    BFP #1: 4/1/2010 DS born: 12/3/10
    TTC #2 since 5/2014
    BFP # 2 : 6/16/14 EDD: 2/25/15  Missed Miscarriage discovered 7/10/14 D&C 7/17/14 Pathology results normal
    BFP #3
    : 10/21/14 EDD: 7/6/15  11/24/14:  Saw heartbeat! 
    Missed Miscarriage discovered 12/22/14 at 12w0d D&C 12/23/14 Pathology: Partial Molar Pregnancy/Triploidy
    ~~Currently benched following PMP~~ 
    **all AL welcome**

image image
    TTCAL January 2015 Siggy Challenge:  Animals in the snow
    Scumbag Penguin

• Oh, this is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your losses. I have never had a D&C so I have nothing to offer but my sincerest condolences.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. I also have no experience with D&C's but wanted to offer a hug.
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• I had 2 ultrasounds. You phrased it as "no longer any heartbeat" which leads me to believe there was and then there wasn't. I think it is probably just a confirmation scan.

I wasn't intubated for my D&C, but I was out to the point I absolutely do not remember anything past being wheeled into the OR. It may have been twilight drugs, but the functioned for all intents and purposes as general anesthesia. Don't fret, I found it to be relatively quick and not very painful. It also offer immediate closure which was a blessed relief.

Best of luck to you.
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking it'll be twilight sedation because I think it will be done at the surgical suite at my RE's office. Did anyone else have testing on the embryos to try to determine the cause?
    TTC since 08/2012

• katerbug0607katerbug0607 member
    edited December 2014
    Deleted comment as I meant to post under my new screenname MySunshine0629 that doesn't have a ticker at the bottom.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was put under general anesthesia during my D&C last week. Having never been put under before, I was beyond terrified. I asked about just doing twilight vs general and the anesthesiologist said due to the nature of the procedure they prefer to be sure you're completely out with no chance of waking.

I am so sorry you're going through this :(
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you @katerbug0607‌. Did you get a pathology report? Also, your ticker is still showing.
    TTC since 08/2012

• @ronniesgirl1981‌ First off, I want to apologize for tagging you in the check in on 3T before really checking into the boards. I am so unbearably sorry for your loss. I seriously wanted to punch something.

I was put under general for my D&C, afterwards it basically felt a bit like after ER. I also got the embryonic testing, which was reassuring but didn't help, as we were revealed to have a chromosomally normal female.

I also had them run the RLP and all came back normal.

So basically after everything we know as much about the loss as at the beginning, which leaves us to cross our fingers for the reminder of our embryos (we didn't do CCS or PGD).

(((Big Hugs))) love. If you need anything. I'm only a PM away.
  • @Sha259‌ There is absolutely no need to apologize. This just happened and you had no way of knowing. I'll probably re-intro on IF within the next week. I have no words for the loss of a chromosomally normal child. I'm trying to prepare myself for that possibility. I keep telling myself that information is good even if it doesn't answer all the questions.
    TTC since 08/2012

• @ronniesgirl1981‌ I hope you are doing okay. Just take it a day at a time. I won't lie, for a while, I felt very numb, empty, and hollow knowing that it was over. I started to heal mentally, and then the news of the chromosomal analysis came back and hit me again. I felt like a complete failure. But time does heal you. You will never forget, and it will always make you sad, but you will eventually start to feel better, and dare to hope again. But you are right, it is better to have the knowledge that the panels can give you, as at least it rules out some things, and helps us to feel we are doing what we can to work toward a healthy sticky pregnancy. Many many (((HUGS))) to you.
  • For me they wouldn't test since it was my first loss. Given your IVF though they may.

About Me: 

My Ovulation Chart
  • @meredithcarole‌ my RE ok'ed me for the embryonic testing because they would have the sample from the D&C, and the repeat loss panel because even though it was my first loss, I have frozen embryos, and wanted to check as much as possible before doing any further transfers.
  • That's wise. I hope they are able to find out some useful information. Good luck with the D&C.

About Me: 

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"