Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty Training away from home

DS has started potty training at school. I've been pretty lax about it at home because he really hasn't shown interest yet, but we are seeing some interest and progress, so I'd like to be more consistent when he isn't at school. I don't have any issues with what I need to do while home, but what do you do while you're out/away from home? I've seen the "travel" toilet seats, but all I can think about is how gross that would be to carry around and use. Am I overthinking it and should just pick one up (with a bottle of Lysol) so we're always ready when the feeling hits him, or is there something else we can/should do to keep up with his training when we aren't near the potty at home?

Re: Potty Training away from home

• Options
    When DD was first potty training, we didn't really go out much. It didn't take her long to catch on though once she got the hang of potty training (I'd say 2 weeks), and after that we could get around pretty easily without her having to go for a while. We brought her potty with us if we were going somewhere she'd be able to use it, and if we were out somewhere we couldn't, we just held her over a toilet, or in the summer if we were stuck at the park (where the nearest toilet is at least a 10 minute walk away), she'd just pee in the grass.
  • Options
    ClaryPax said:
    We had a foldable potty ring that could go over public bathrooms.  We also bought a piddle pad that would protect the car seat in case of accidents. 

ETA- ours was never gross.  I think the way it was made he never really hit it with his pee, and if he did we would clean it of course.  It was no where near as gross as those little potty chairs- ew.  You can also just hold them over the potty but I always ended up getting peed on (way worse).  Or have them sit backwards on the potty- which I did but only a couple of times. 

I'm less concerned about possible peeing on the seat and more thinking about putting something on a public toilet seat that I am then going to fold up and take with me, germs from the seat and all. Again, I could be overthinking it, though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kid always just sat on a public toilet.  I'm not sure what the big deal is.  Unless he has open wounds/sores on his ass or upper thighs he's not going to "catch anything" from the toilet seat.   There are way more germs on the sink handles and door handles of the bathroom than the seat itself.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My kid always just sat on a public toilet.  I'm not sure what the big deal is.  Unless he has open wounds/sores on his ass or upper thighs he's not going to "catch anything" from the toilet seat.   There are way more germs on the sink handles and door handles of the bathroom than the seat itself.

Not worried about him sitting on the toilet itself, just that it's too big for him to sit "normally" on it with out falling in or me holding him up (which I'll do if that's the easiest answer), thus possibly requiring the travel toilet seats I've seen around, and that's what I'm thinking will get covered in germs (yay for toilet spray on the seat after flushing) and taking with us. I wasn't sure what others do about the whole sitting on the big toilets for the little kids. Good to see some ideas on this.
  • Options
    never occurred to me to spray his potty seat. i clean it regularly, although he mostly pees standing up and never wants to use it. i bring it with me for long day trips where he might want to poop, but usually he poops at a friend or family member's house when we're out, not totally random places.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD is really tiny, so she has a hard time getting comfortable on a big seat.  If we are just out for the day, I don't bring a potty ring.  She will go on a regular potty if she really has to.  But it came in handy for our recent 2 day road trip with lots of visits to rest areas and travel plazas.  I brought wipes to clean it and kept it in a plastic bag in the car. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"