April 2015 Moms
Options

Advice re breastfeeding after a c-section?

Hi ladies. I'm doing my own research on the subject and will meet with an LC prior to baby 2's birth, but I'm always happy for advice from those with experience. We had our first baby summer 2013. She was an unplanned csection, following 57 hours of a failed induction. For medical reasons, baby 2 will be a planned csection. I was not at all prepared for the first csection and truly believe it affected my ability to get off to a good start with nursing. Any suggestions of things to do/not do after the csection to facilitate breastfeeding? Did you need to use a pump while in the hospital? If yes, why? Any advice is most welcome. Thanks!
Baby girl Lila born 2013.
Baby boy Henry born 2015.
Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.

Re: Advice re breastfeeding after a c-section?

• Options
    I also had an unplanned c-section with my daughter but we did not have any issues breast feeding. We didn't have nearly the length of labor you had so it is no wonder it was hard for you and your baby. I suspect every situation is different.

I have heard that your second c section is much better considering you know what to expect and you aren't undergoing surgery after hours or days of labor. I suspect you will be in a much better situation this time around since you and baby won't be so exhausted from such a long labor.

To answer your other questions we did not use a pump in the hospital but she was a natural latcher so I lucked out. I would enlist the help of nurses and lactation consultants if there are troubles. Best of luck! You can do it!
  • Options
    I've had two c-sections and nursed both babies. My first was an unplanned section after 24 hours. I was separated from DD1 while in recovery but nursed her once we were in our room. We only encountered problems that I would attribute to being a first time nursing mom. My second section was planned, and I was nursing DD2 in recovery within 20 minutes of her birth. The recovery from the RCS was a million times better than my first. I did not pump in the hospital with either one.

My only suggestions would be:
    1. Nurse as soon as possible
    2. Utilize the LC
    3. Experiment with different holds (football may be more comfortable than a cradle position)
    4. Make sure you stay hydrated and your post delivery diet is adequate.

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OP, I am in the same situation as you are. My first pregnancy ended in an unplanned CS after 2 days of labor as well. Thank you for posting this. I think my struggles with nursing my first all revolved around my son's tongue tie. I know when I was in recovery he would not latch well, so they gave me a hand pump for stimulation that worked well. I was unable to do anything but the football hold for about the first month. After that I stuck to cross cradle until I stopped nursing at 11 months. 

I think the major thing I did not expect last time was that I was going to need so much help while recovering from surgery. This time around we have planned for my husband to take off work for a full 2 weeks of paternity leave. My mom will be around a lot more as well. I also asked family members to not visit for an extended time since I will be recovering. (I had to lay down the law with my MIL who wanted to stay overnight for several days when we came home. Um, no thanks. Maybe if you were actually going to help us instead of just steal the baby away from me for "snuggles".)
  • Options
    Aw man, this just reminded me of the shakes, I had forgotten about that part.

I had an unplanned c section last time as a result of complications. DS went to the NICU and it was 12 hours before I could see him.  I did not pump during that time at all.  I nursed as soon as I was able to see him and continued to nurse every 3 hours until he joined me in my room. I had a rough recovery and I missed a few feeding and they supplemented with formula (I did not pump). Once I was well enough, we went back to nursing without issue.  I just made sure to stick with it and nurse whenever I was able. I continued for 9 months without an issue or need to suppliment again.
    imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had a planned csection due to complete breech presentation. I had zero problems BFing. And I also didn't have the shakes that others mentioned.
    Good luck with your section and BFing! I hope it is a smooth transition for you.
  • Options
    I was nursing in recovery. I didn't have any specific problems with nursing from my C-section. The only issue I had was that my milk didn't come in for 4-5 days. I had one baby that was not pleased with that (I had twins). We started supplementing the night before we went home and I started pumping at that time, after nursing. I ended up with a huge stash and not only nursed my 2 babies for 2 years but donated over 30 gallons.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had no issues starting breastfeeding. The only advice i can give you is bring the boppy to the hospital to help with breastfeeding and the way you hold the baby, so it doesnt hurt your incision.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I nursed as soon as I was in the recovery room. Right after baby was cleaned up daddy did skin to skin then when I was wheeled in the recovery room I was able to nurse right away.
  • Options
    This is good info to know. My first two were vaginal labor, but this third baby will probably be a c section due to complications from my last birth. I've been wondering the same thing, so thanks for the comments. Also, I'm now terrified of the shakes.
  • Options
    Do not fight the shakes! It seems like the more you tense up to stop them the worse they get.  Just know it is normal and try to stay relaxed.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and helpful advice everyone!
    Didn't have the shakes with my first section. Didn't even know about it u til I read the responses here. Lol.
    It's nice to hear that many women had no issues with BFing after a section. That just wasn't the case for me. As a couple of you helpfully noted, my problems were probably more a result of the extended labor preceding the section than anything else. I was so drugged up that I couldn't hold my daughter in recovery. We tried but I couldn't do it. The section was also at 9:30pm following days of labor, so I was essentially out of commission through the night. Hoping it's much more normal this time. Just have lingering worries after a somewhat traumatic birth experience. Really appreciate your help.
  • Options
    Thanks rsaj! I will remember that.
  • Options
    My best advice while in the hospital, is to use your nurse. Honestly, half the job is supposed to be assisting with breastfeeding! (Atleast in the birthing hospital I used to work in.) Proper positioning while breastfeeding is everything after a csection, so if you have a boppy bring it, that way you won't be scrounging for pillows. Have your nurse teach you how to properly hand express. I found a lot of times if you can express a few drops before latching the baby, it motivates the baby to latch on.

I agree with a PP who said ask a LC to help you, but they usually only come once a day, and aren't there to help with the night time feedings, but definitely request to be seen by one.
    < Pregnancy Ticker >
  • Options
    I hope our recovery nurses are better this time. They were awful with our first baby, and the Hosital LC couldn't have tried less to help. We ended up working with outside LCs after we got home from the hospital. I'm glad to hear you say that the nurses should be helping. Given our first experience, I just assumed they don't offer that kind of support. Turns out, our nurses just sucked.
  • Options
    Yeah I've heard that happen a lot, unfortunately, but if the nurse is taking care of you and baby, they are responsible for ensuring the baby is properly (or at least attempting) to feed. They should be pretty familiar with how feeding is going. Don't be afraid to be your own advocate and ask for help, if they aren't providing it for you! :)
    < Pregnancy Ticker >
  • Options
    My hospital does not remove babies from their mother's care unless it needs to go to the NICU so mine was not out of my room, she was wheeled out of the OR in my arms.  We started trying to breastfeed once we were wheeled back to the room, so sometime in the first hour she was on the breast.  At first the nurse had to prop the baby up on pillows and help me to hold her or my DH had to help, but within hours I was sturdy enough to do it on my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"