2nd Trimester

Asking for a raise?

edited December 2014 in 2nd Trimester
Earlier this year, my boss was having issues with his assistant (we'll call her T) and asked me if I would be willing to take over both positions (mine and hers) so they could let her go. Through no effort of my own, I actually found out that T was earning a much higher salary than me. We just had our annual reviews and I was given a small salary increase, but it's not even close to what T was earning. I am due in the summer and plan on taking 2 months of unpaid time off (my company doesn't offer paid maternity leave). Do you think it is a good idea to ask for more money now or should I wait until I come back from leave? I don't want to seem ungrateful...
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Asking for a raise?

• edited December 2014
    I really regret not bringing it up at my review...I knew a raise was coming either way, I was just expecting something more significant.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh- and I'd do this now rather than wait.
  • I'd recommend scheduling a meeting with your boss to review your career trajectory. At the meeting thank him or her for the feedback at your review and the small increase in salary. Share that you've been reflecting on his/her thoughts and since you've increased your workload significantly since T's departure, you'd like to revisit your compensation package. Come prepared with a document outlining what you did before T's departure vs. your responsibilities now. You will not come across as ungrateful... That's something that we as women have been conditioned to feel. Most men in this situation would not have that thought enter their heads. I totally understand the hesitation having recently been there myself, but if you keep reminding yourself that this a transactional business relationship it will get easier. (I was able to ultimately negotiate a significant raise). Also keep in mind that your pregnancy and upcoming leave are mutually exclusive to your performance and responsibilities. Don't even bring it up, and if your boss does, gently remind him or her that these are two seperate issues. Good luck!
    This is fantastic advice. Thank you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"