December 2014 Moms
Options

what would you do? BFing related.

angeladowns1angeladowns1 member
edited December 2014 in December 2014 Moms
Hi ladies, I need help/advice/strong opinions/etc. My little man joined the world 2 weeks ago and I never anticipated how difficult breastfeeding could be.

I had a failed induction due to high blood pressure and ended up with a c section. Breastfeeding seemed to be going swimmingly the first couple days of his life, and he was a very peaceful baby for our hosptial stay duration. After being home for a couple days, things changed. He started being incredibly fussy, inconsolable, and I sensed something was wrong. We went to see a LC and he had lost 15% of his birth weight. I was so confused, I'd been feeding the kid CONSTANTLY. what was the deal?

She started me on an intense every two hour ritual of nurse 20 mins per side, pump 15 mins, and supplement with formula until he was full. Also started taking fenugreek and drinking 80+ ounces of water a day. This was supposed to remedy me.

Two weeks later of this crazy routine and my supply has barely improved. He still drinks 2-3 ounces to be satisfied of formula each feeding and when I pump I get half an ounce or less. When he hasn't fed before hand, I might get .75 of an ounce between both breasts. After a follow up LC visit with a weighed feeding a week ago, he had gotten a quarter ounce from me.

This routine is killing me. I really did not forsee this being an obstacle and it's so incredibly frustrating. I'm feeling like my supply is like, freakishly low. Everything I read online is like "I'm only producing 2 ounces!" And I'm producing a 1/4 of that...

What would you ladies do? I am struggling with my sanity I feel like at this point but know how beneficial BFing is. Anyone been through something similar? Any advice or experience is much appreciated, I'm at my wits end. :(

Re: what would you do? BFing related.

• Options
    Like you the doc told me to supplement because LO wasn't gaining enough weight. I was told I needed to nurse 15 mins per side then supplement with formula. This was very time consuming especially because LO would only nurse 5 mins then fall asleep so I would try everything to wake her up which was stressful on top of having to prepare formula in the middle of the night. I had low supply also. I did what worked for me which was give a full bottle of formula until I'm able to gather 3-4 oz of breastmilk (LO is 3 weeks). Once I have a full 3-4 oz of BM then I feed her just that and don't supplement. I don't breastfeed, I only pump since this works for us. I was too stressed. I'm able to see how much BM she is getting by pumping. She is given 60-70% BM and the rest formula. She is gaining good weight. You will figure out what works for you. I think even just a little breastmilk is better than none. Make sure you have a good quality pump & try to pump every 2-3 hours, 3 hours at night. Your supply should increase. I went from 1oz to 2-3oz. Also try not to stress cause that could affect supply. Hang in there :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've been having troubles with BFing too. We saw the LC for a third time yesterday and she gave us options of either--feeding at the breast with a nipple shield and a syringe with a tiny tube so LO was getting my milk and supplementation. The other option was to bottle feed LO and I would focus on pumping.

DH and I chose the latter and we both admitted it was like I was trying to do too much with breast feeding and pumping.

Another possibility is the quality of your pump--we bought a Medela Symphony (they are usually available to rent), a hospital grade pump and it makes all the difference in the amount that I pump. You are not alone in this, BFing is hard work and you are an awesome mama for making your baby the first priority!
  • Options
    I would supplement, preferably at the breast with a SNS.

My LO lost around 13% of her birth weight due to my PPH-induced (anemia lowers prolactin levels) low supply. I take 9-12 capsules of Fenugreek, More Milk Plus, and mother's milk tea. I may order Domperidon soon. I have noticed a big increase, but still not a full supply: I know it can take a little while, couple months, before I reach a full supply, if I do at all (when iron levels in the blood return to normal range).

There's no way I'd ever stop breastfeeding, so I supplement with either donor milk or formula, about 10 oz a day. LO also predominantly nurses from my left. She's gotten better at taking the right side, but it's only a handful of times a time.

Starter SNS is for short term. The Lact-aid is best for long term use. Bottles are an option at 3+ weeks to reduce the chance of nipple preference. I tried a few bottles and settled on Comotomo. Love that bottle. It mimics breastfeeding the best.

My fourth baby also needed supplementation in the beginning due to tongue tie issues resulting in insufficient milk transfer and low supply. I EP'd for a while. After 6 weeks he nursed at night, but I pumped day feedings. I stopped pumping at 5.5 months where he went back to the breast, but I weaned my right side and began supplementing since I never got up to a full supply using just my left. I supplemented with formula from 5.5 to 11.5 months. About the same amount, 10-12 oz, which was the equivalent of what I pumped from that side toward the end when I stopped pumping.

We struggled a tremendous deal. He was declared FTT at three weeks, and I had a love/hate relationship with the pump. It was exhausting for months. I was determined to see it through and make it work. He successfully nursed until 21 months.

It is possible to continue having a nursing relationship even during some challenges like low supply. It sucks to struggle with breastfeeding complications, but it can get better with the right support.

(((Hugs)))
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    We are working on a plan to supplement breastfeeding. LO still has his weight down 10% from.his birth weight (2W & 2D) He is still taking over 30 minutes during feedings (45 - 60 min session).

We saw a LC who was helpful but LO still didn't put on weight. So we are supplementing with a bottle of BM or formula (when milk is not available).

Pediatrician recommended we breastfeed for 30 minutes, provide bottle, and then pump. That routine is a little difficult and will be difficult to keep going on a longer term. We are starting to read and determine how feasible Epumping (or primarily epumping) would be for us.

Test
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited December 2014
    We are working on a plan to supplement breastfeeding. LO still has his weight down 10% from.his birth weight (2W & 2D) He is still taking over 30 minutes during feedings (45 - 60 min session). We saw a LC who was helpful but LO still didn't put on weight. So we are supplementing with a bottle of BM or formula (when milk is not available). Pediatrician recommended we breastfeed for 30 minutes, provide bottle, and then pump. That routine is a little difficult and will be difficult to keep going on a longer term. We are starting to read and determine how feasible Epumping (or primarily epumping) would be for us.
    This is a standard recommendation, and it makes sense in terms of stimulating more production. That routine just isn't feasible long term for many moms. The LC I saw this time recommended pumping for 10 min after nursing/supplementing via SNS. I rented a Symphony pump and used it a handful of times. Yeah, pumping on top of regular/frequent nursing sessions can be so time consuming. I didn't/don't have time or energy for it.

EPing is actually less work than nursing, supplementing via bottle and pumping. I was using the SNS, but it's also quite a bit of work getting it to work efficiently. It's easier to just supplement with 2 oz after some of her feedings. I nurse, offer 2 oz, and then usually nurse again. Usually for 5-6 feedings.

LO didn't hit birth weight until 4 weeks. I started supplementing and taking galactagogues at 11 days, when she was 1 lb 2 oz under birth weight. She's put on 23 oz within the last 20 days. Rough start, but she's gaining well now. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    You story is almost word for word the same as mine.

DD lost 13% of her birthweight and I was doing the same routine- I was a crying mess all day and dreaded feeding her- my DH fed her the formula and would have a happy baby where as I would have a fussing starving baby and then have to torture myself with the pump.

I really wanted to breastfeed but we made the switch to formula and I feel like a new person. DD has gained back up to her birthweight plus a pound, we have peaceful feedings and she is happier because she doesn't have to work for over 30 minutes before actually getting fed :(

It was really tough to make the choice to switch to formula in some aspects, and incredibly easy in others. I was making milk but not nearly enough so that messed with me, but after a few days I have no regrets.

I wish things had worked out, but the important part is that I am much happier and DD is healthy and happy as well.

Whether you decide to continue trying, make the switch to formula, or find a solution somewhere in the middle know that your choice will be the right one for you and your family. I'll be thinking of you!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Options
    I am like you and barely get anything. I nurse and was doing SNS with each feeding but we introduced the bottle last week and it was the best thing I ever did. I actually enjoy nursing now. And my kid eats 4-6oz after each feeding (about every 2-4 hours). He is 4 weeks old.

• Options

I FF'ed ds#1 and he's perfect.  I BF'ed ds#2 and had an awful time and he's perfect.  I'm FF'ing #3 and she is perfect.

So....moral of the story...you need to feed your kid the best way that makes sense for you and your family.  BFing is great and so is FFing.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"