March 2014 Moms
Options

LO Has the Flu

Anyone else? I have no idea how to even process that my 9 month old baby has the damn flu. Any tips/advice or commiserations? Anyone with firsthand experience?

All help is truly appreciated!

Re: LO Has the Flu

• Options
    MeggsMMeggsM member
    edited December 2014
    Oh man no experience just wanted to send healthy vibes your way. I have a cold right now and I'm hoping LO doesn't get it too.

From what I've heard steamy bathrooms, a cool air humidifier in their rooms and the snot sucker do wonders. Also cuddles, many cuddles. When I had a terrible cold while pg I swore by the cool air humidifier- we kept that sucker going long after the cold was gone.

Hope lo gets better soon!
  • Options
    Yeah we've already been to the ER today bc of his fever and symptoms, which is where we found out. They told us to try to give him lots of different liquids of different varieties to get him to drink and to watch for signs of dehydration and a persistent high fever. That's what we're gonna do! I just feel so bad for the little guy, I want to make him as comfortable as possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    laurenann89laurenann89 member
    edited December 2014
    He had been whining and woke me up every hour last night in his sleep. I thought it was teething at first so I gave him some Ibuprofen, but at about 2 AM I noticed he was burning up to the touch so I took his temp and it was 102, even after the ibuprofen. At that point I still thought it might have been teething, though I was also kind of suspecting it was something more.

I called his Doctor this morning bc they're usually open on Saturdays, but their phones were doing something weird (pretty sure they were just trying to avoid being contacted bc of the holidays this week). So I called his insurance's nurse triage line. They told me it sounded like it might be teething or a virus and it could most likely be treated from home, just to keep an eye on his fever and hydration and to call them if it's gets worse. Oh, and to not give him a fever reducer if his fever was below 102 bc that helps his body to fight off whatever it was. (Not so sure about that advice, the nurse at the ER disagreed with it).
    So he kept getting warmer and more lethargic, which isn't like him. He wasn't even fussy, just super tired and whining. I took his temp again and it was 103.3 so we decided to take him in to the ER. He tested positive for type A influenza.
    The best advice I would say is trust your instincts. I knew something was wrong and it wasn't just teething.

Sorry for the book, I just think details are helpful in cases like this.
  • Options
    Hope he feels better soon! I second that you need to trust your instincts in regards to LO being sick.
  • Options
    mfarmer0811mfarmer0811 member
    edited December 2014
    :( poor baby. Prayers for all the sick babies!

Eta: spelling
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"