Parenting

Worst Gift

What was the worst gift you witnessed someone getting this season?

H's grandma sent E this giant stuffed frog that "croaks" (not like any frog I have ever heard), flaps it's giant mouth open and closed, and rolls it's eyes when you pet it. Totally creepy. He might mysteriously stop working soon
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Worst Gift

• DS1 just turned 4 three weeks ago. MIL asked what size he was, I told her 4 but if she gets pajamas get a size 5. She bought him underwear in a size 6. Then i got to listen to him cry about how he can't wear his new Ninja Turtle underwear.

The worst gift dh and I got were also from MIL. They are decorative plates and bells that are from our birth years. Mine has a deer on it and DH 's has a bunny.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I've been a cake baker for about 10 years now. I've done all sorts of cakes and do it pretty frequently. My ils got me a bunch of baking basics from Homegoods - measuring cups, decorating tips (cheap ones), a whisk, a spatula and one of those hand held plastic decorators...

I was a good girl and told her I didn't need b the receipt but don't need any of the stuff. Ugh

Engaged: 7/19/09 Married: 9/19/10
    BFP: 10/14/13 EDD: 6/16/14 DD Arrived: 6/21/14

June '14 Siggy Challenge: Warm Places

• I got 4 individual serving bowls that are just NMS otherwise I didn't really get gifts this year.

• CTGirl30 said:

Sugar cookies

Oh God, perfect gift for someone who is gluten-free! :-q

We got so many sweets - cookies, pancake mix, hot cocoa mix, etc - that we won't use. It's like people don't even know us.
    I feel like this with my mom. Not with sweets but just gifts in general. I mentioned I wanted a sephora gift card and my hair done (we go to the same person) I got a fleece jacket ( I'm in ohio) and a bracelet thang looks like pandora ( I only ever wear 1 bracelet) I'm not really a jewelry girl.

• I didn't get anything horrible, but my MIL got me a random clutch/purse thing from Costco I think. It's meant to be a fancy going out one and I have no real use for it.

• Does anyone have experience with jcpenny.com returns?

• wino2006 said:
    This is why I don't exchange gifts with most of the adults in my family. My grandma still insists on buying us gifts so we end up with some gaudy, ugly xmas decoration every year. This year it was a plastic santa doll. 
    I get that kind of stuff from H's grandma too, only the stuff she gives me smells like a damp basement.  She goes to After Christmas sales and buys ALL THE THINGS, then stores them in the basement for next year to decorate her house with.  Any time she forgets to buy gifts for someone, she goes "shopping" in her 8+ giant plastic totes in the basement.  I am normally one of those "forgotten" people and end up with something that is usually tacky, old, or used.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• All the candy DH shoved in my stocking. Awesome for right now, DH, as im largely pregnant and craving sweets, but you do realize that as soon as I deliver this baby sometime in the next few weeks, I will be officially boycotting all chocolate/candy from our house, right?

• MrsT0514MrsT0514 member
    edited December 2014
    Other than that, eeverything else has been good. Although, my ILs are coming tomorrow to exchange gifts, and they are notorious for getting us a bunch of shit we dont need, purely for the sake of "having something to open".

But, my MIL did ask what we actually needed this year, and she gave us a check for 100bucks in the mail with the card she sent ( its going towards putting some new gutters on the house). We also told her diapers and wipes for the kids and she asked me what size DS wears...so I'm hoping this means she actually got us what we needed instead of wasting her money on piddly shit
  • cringe @nochill! What happened after that?
    I had to leave the room it was so awkward.  Like I didn't know if I was going to laugh or cry, so I figured leaving the room would save me from making it worse.  I don't really get along with my in laws, so I was uncomfortable to begin with.  She ended up staying and hanging out.  I have heard whisperings that there is an unexpected pregnancy, and if that's the case, I'm kind of proud of her for saying no and not just accepting because there is a baby in the near future.  

• nochill said:

nochill said:

cringe @nochill! What happened after that?

I had to leave the room it was so awkward.  Like I didn't know if I was going to laugh or cry, so I figured leaving the room would save me from making it worse.  I don't really get along with my in laws, so I was uncomfortable to begin with.  She ended up staying and hanging out.  I have heard whisperings that there is an unexpected pregnancy, and if that's the case, I'm kind of proud of her for saying no and not just accepting because there is a baby in the near future.  

Omg. I can't imagine being there to witness that.

His mom was videotaping it.  Oh lord, my face is turning red just thinking about how embarrassed I was for him.  

Omfg. What. Shitty situation all around.
  • MH just brought home a roadkill deer. Does that count?
  • My great aunt used to give my sister soaps from hotels. She always gave my brother and I $5 coupons to burger king lol. She was pretty rich too!
  • @Joy1192‌ that is super weird.

I thought so too. My H said it isn't possible since they live too far away and he wouldn't give them access anyways. If they could get access, I would be returning it ASAP.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got this jewelry set from DH's cousin (the bells jingle, and the pendant can be turned into a pin!), but I regifted it at a white elephant thing, so it's NBD.

My mom got me a big fluffy robe, which is thoughtful since I'll be having a baby in 3 weeks, but I get claustrophobic / freak-out-ish with clothes that are too fleecy or fluffy, so I'll be returning it.

@KMW08, I like the idea of that gift box that gets reused every year. I hate all the waste of giftwrap. I am the crazy person who removes giftwrap really carefully and refolds the tissue paper so I can reuse it next year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"