Blended Families

Introduction!

I just discovered this board, I have read through a few recent posts and really like the support and feedback I am seeing.

I am newly married, my husbands son turns 5 tomorrow. We knew we wanted to grow our family right away and are expecting a little boy in May. I think I share a lot of common fears and problems as any FTM starting a blended family. I am very excited, and my SS is very happy to have a baby brother on the way.

I truly love his son, he is a great kid. I however can't help but wonder what a new baby will do to our relationship with him. I do not want him to feel replaced in anyway but I know some things will with out a doubt change. It has always been about him!

Wondering if anyone can tell what they did to help prepare their step children for the new addition and what they found worked after baby arrived. I know every kid is different and I am sure it was a learning process so any advice is welcomed!

Re: Introduction!

• No advice but wanted to say welcome!
  • Welcome! For the most part, just include him in what's going on with the baby, it's really the same as any other family and prepping for siblings. Now that my LO is here DH and I make sure to do individual activities with SD while LO is sleeping. Also SD loves being my big "helper" and just adores her baby sister. I wouldn't worry too much as our situation was similar with a lot of our focus being about SD but we talked to her often about how she would be a big sister and wasn't as little any more so we would need her help with baby because baby can't do anything on her own yet. She's done wonderful and I'm sure your SS will too. Congratulations!
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome, so far we've just make sure to include SS also 5. Our hospital offered a "becoming big brother class" that we attended as a family and he loved it! LO is due Feb so not sure about how he will be after he is here but we will find out shortly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"