how to prevent "extra" stretching caused by sandy sea water? — The Bump
3rd Trimester

how to prevent "extra" stretching caused by sandy sea water?

edited December 2014 in 3rd Trimester
So when you have stretchmarks forming on your baby belly you know that exfoliating, scratching anything like that will make then stretch more.
Combine that with salty sea water that dries out your skin i feel like im setting myself up for dissaster.
This year im spending xmas at the beach because it is Way too Hot and im scared im gonna make my stretchies worse by swimming in fine sandy salty water

Does anyone have any solutions??
my mum said wear a bikini and use vaseline.. then she sounded like as if it may not work.. then to plastic wrap my belly and cover it with a tight singlet. I feel like a singlet will create extra friction and the plastic wrap won't stay on for long.

Not a great big problem just wondering if anyone has any great ideas?

Re: how to prevent "extra" stretching caused by sandy sea water?

  • Um, the salt water doesn't matter! Just use lotion. Stretch marks are mostly hereditary and they come from the inside, not the outside.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks to the one person who gave me the sort of answer i was asking for. I dont remember asking, How do i not get stretchmarks? I did say i have them already. I was asking for anything to help them from getting roughed up by the sand and the waves.. its the same as scratching which im sure you all try not to do so that you dont make what you Do have worse. I will of corse be enjoying myself its Christmas :)
  • ilyxo said:

    Thanks to the one person who gave me the sort of answer i was asking for. I dont remember asking, How do i not get stretchmarks? I did say i have them already. I was asking for anything to help them from getting roughed up by the sand and the waves.. its the same as scratching which im sure you all try not to do so that you dont make what you Do have worse. I will of corse be enjoying myself its Christmas :)

    Yeah even with this explanation, you are still not making sense.


    ghostof5letters[Deleted User]
  • Scratching makes it worse? I think you're thinking of chicken pox. 
    And poison ivy.  ::shudder::


    Stretch marks, not so much.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

    TTC #2 since 9/2014

    image
    My Ovulation Chart

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I went to the beach around 32 weeks and did have a few stretch marks at that point. I'm happy to report that the sand and sea water did not make them worse.

    I put coconut oil on them (even when I'm not at the beach) because it's a good moisturizer and I like the smell. I don't think it does anything to prevent them from forming or make them go away, but it may reduce the itching a bit.
  • Stretch marks are on the bottom layer of your skin. Nothing you put on the top layer can affect them at all no matter what coco butter companies want us to think. The elasticity of your skin is hereditary and the only things you can do to help is to stay hydrated and limit your weight gain to whatever is necessary for you so you aren't stretching more than you need to.

    Gentle exfoliation actually stimulates collagen production which helps repair skin and prevent stretch marks. Sand is a rough exfoliant but isn't going to hurt you or your skin. Salt water can dry out your skin and cause itchiness by stripping the oils from your skin although it's nowhere near as harsh as practically any soap you can buy at the store. As your skin stretches faster than your body can keep up, you will get tightness and itchiness. This is the top layer of skin and not at all related to stretch marks. The best thing you can do is not use soap and only use an oil scrub when you wash every few days. That way you are not stripping off the natural oils of your skin, but are stimulating collagen production in the process. Even the moisturizing body soap you get from the store that makes your skin seem soft is actually stripping oils and replacing it with synthetic emollients and will make itchiness worse long term. I'm 34 weeks and haven't had the slightest bit of itchiness but am carrying all out in front like I swallowed a basketball. I scrub my belly and chest with a mix of sugar, coconut oil, and essential oils every few days and slather on coconut oil afterwards. Works like a charm. I will probably still get stretch marks though, they run in my family. 

    Enjoy your vacation. Shower after your beach time and keep your skin hydrated for itchiness. There is nothing you can do to prevent or make stretch marks worse than they are going to be. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]ruemorgan
  • Just wondering.. is it a myth that if you scratch your new forming stretch marks you make them worse? I was told by most preggers women that i know.. to try not scratch them because youll tear your skin and make em worse. I will absolutely scratch the hel outta them if its all a myth. Somethinh about the heat makes them so much itchier. I use after sun cooling lotion to take the itch away. It works ++
  • ilyxo said:

    Just wondering.. is it a myth that if you scratch your new forming stretch marks you make them worse? I was told by most preggers women that i know.. to try not scratch them because youll tear your skin and make em worse. I will absolutely scratch the hel outta them if its all a myth. Somethinh about the heat makes them so much itchier. I use after sun cooling lotion to take the itch away. It works ++

    It is a myth. As explained above, the stretch marks start very low in the deepest portions of your skin. Scratching or any topical applications do nothing to affect them.


    LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:



    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

    ghostof5letters
  • Why not roll in the sand, Ill do whatever I fucking want Jane no need to swear about something that doesnt concern you morron. I did research thanks and as you can see the water dries your skin out. Dry skin equals Hello stretchmarks. Dam i dont even really give a shit i just thought that google doesn't have answers maybe other beachies did. And yes they do. Thank you.
  • ilyxo said:

    Why not roll in the sand, Ill do whatever I fucking want Jane no need to swear about something that doesnt concern you morron. I did research thanks and as you can see the water dries your skin out. Dry skin equals Hello stretchmarks. Dam i dont even really give a shit i just thought that google doesn't have answers maybe other beachies did. And yes they do. Thank you.

    Oh this one is a real peach.
  • image

    Dude, your spazzing out over something that is really isn't that big of deal.


    LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:



    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  • IMO this is your attempt to brag about your beach vacay Christmas. Otherwise you are just being ridiculous.
  • etoille said:
    Starting to think that either op is 17 or NZ is not as advanced as I had previously thought.
    You might be surprised. ...I say that with the deepest love.

    OP, I'm visiting for the holidays. Let's slap on our togs and jandals and hit the beach together. You have to bring the Saran wrap, though.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards