October 2014 Moms

has anyone transitioned to formula?

I currently EBF but am going to start transitioning to formula. I'm starting with one a day using a gental formula for colic babies just too be safe (no she is not colicy). Just wondered how the transition went for others.

Re: has anyone transitioned to formula?

• I'm not versed in formula types, but why are you giving your LO formula for colic babies if she's not colicky? Is that standard?
  • It's not any more expensive. I thought this type of formula would be easier on her tummy. ???
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't do any specific type of transition- just started giving a formula bottle here and there to supplement. I would ask your doc if you are concerned.
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely use the soothe or gassiness formula... Why not? I use formula and BF (1-2 bottles of formula /day ~ 5-10oz). I introduced it at 3 weeks when I guess a lot of babies appear colicky and I've just stuck with it. My DS took to the bottles and formula fine. Since you waited a little while you may want to have someone else feed LO with the bottle at first. Sometimes he'll act like he's not going to take the bottle so I just stop trying for a minute then reintroduce it and he takes it. He's not gonna starve!
  • We are almost done transitioning. We used the enfamil newborn because we still had samples from the first week when we had to supplement when she wouldn't latch.

We started with one bottle of formula a day to start and make sure she was still good with it. After a week I added another feeding a day, or whenever we were out and about. We had been about 50/50, but as I get lazier with my pumping sessions my milk is tapering off. I prefer this gradual approach because it keeps some of the benefits of breast milk for a bit while also saving me from dealing with engorgement from stopping.
  • I haven't transitioned but have a f/u question. Can you use multiple brands of formula or do babies typically only like one?
    January siggy contest - Snow Fail
  • I havent but every time I pump MOTN I think about it lol. Gross ? but does switching to formula from breastmilk make their poop start to stink?
  • Gentlease is a formula you could use that might be a little easier on Lo's stomach but doesn't cost anymore than "regular" formulas.
    We are exclusively bottle at this point as I'm just not able to produce enough milk to satisfy my kids (sadly). DS and DD both had milk protein intolerances so we used Alimentum and are now using Nutramigen with DD, but only through her pedi GI.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that your child would have a sensitivity but I personally don't see any harm in using a gentle formula. That said, you may want to consult your pedi for their advice in the matter.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• NavyFlyer said:

I havent but every time I pump MOTN I think about it lol. Gross ? but does switching to formula from breastmilk make their poop start to stink?

Honestly, yes. It makes it darker too.
  • @sweetsurprise2014‌ I was told to use the same one, but at the bottom of my enfamil gentle ease my baby started rejecting it so I bought some gerber. But you use twice as much as the scoop is bigger. I went back to enfamil since I had a coupon and to see if maybe the formula had spoiled since it took me weeks to get to the bottom. Sure enough he was fine with it. I've also used the newborn one they sent as a sample... So he's had 3 different kinds and hasn't minded.
    I think it just depends on your baby.

@NavyFlyer‌ yea it Stanks!!
  • My lo couldn't tolerate Enfamil newborn but does great with the gentleease. We use the Sam's Club generic version which it half the price of Enfamil. Our pediatrian is cool with generic.
  • @sweetsurprise2014 - You can switch formulas but shouldn't do it on a day to day basis but more to try different kinds out to see which one is best for your baby. Switching back and forth regularly can cause tummy troubles for them.

I also agree with Gerber Gentle as it doesn't have corn syrup (sugars!) as the first ingredient. Using colic formula is gentler on their tummies so that would be fine. Also, I would do it slowly to make sure it doesn't cause any problems. With my son, I supplemented only 2 oz a day of Enfamil Newborn and even that small amount per day caused constipation and tummy pain until we switched to Gerber Gentle.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards