2nd Trimester
Options

Low lying Placenta

I just went in for a doctors appointment today (I am 27 weeks and 3 days pregnant). My ob/gyn mentioned that during my last ultrasound it is noted that I had a low lying placenta (nice to know I find out 7 weeks later! Last doctor visit, the doctor, who was different than this visit, never mentioned it). She said not to worry just yet because as the uterus expands, it usually pulls the placenta up. I go in for an ultrasound next week.

On that note, I am still curious/slightly worried about this if the placenta should NOT be pulled up. Did you have symptoms? What precautions did you need to take? Did you HAVE to have a c-section? (from what I read it seems that even w/a partial, women need to get a c-section).

Re: Low lying Placenta

• Options
    With DS my 20 week a/s showed a low-lying placenta.  I had to go for another scan I believe about 5 weeks later, still 'low-lying' but it hadn't moved any closer to my cervix, just closer than they like it to be.  I had a third scan about 5 weeks after that (at 30 weeks) and it had resolved.  Because of completely unrelated issues I had about a million ultrasounds after that and my placenta was never an issue again.

So, to answer your questions - no symptoms or anything (there's really nothing at that point to have symptoms of....?), no precautions, and no, I did not have to have a c-section even with being induced (again for reasons unrelated to my placenta).  I don't know what the stats are of it moving back up once you have placenta previa though, but my midwife at the time was very (rightfully) optimistic that it would move on its own, which it did.
  • Options
    I also had a low lying placenta. I was told in 95% of cases it will resolve itself. Mine did. No symptoms, and I was told no heavy lifting, rest when I can.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a low lying placenta up until around 27 weeks. At my last u/s, they said it had moved up 3 cm, so I'm in the clear. Most of the time it will move. 
    I had no symptoms when mine was low, no restrictions, but was told if it didn't move I would have to have a c-section (mine was only up to the cervical OS, not covering it) because the risk of hemorrhaging was just not worth it. FX for you. 
  • Options
    Agree with pp, most the time it will move up. If it does not, yes a c-section is required. The worst case alternative is bleeding out and both you and baby not making it.

My mother almost bled out with me for this same reason, however at that time they didn't do routine ultrasounds so she didn't know until after the fact why. Not to mention she lost so much blood that it took days before she realized she even gave birth.

Symptoms can be nothing or bleeding towards late pregnancy. If you google placenta previa there is lots of info.

Besides my moms backstory I also know because my a/s showed complete previa. I am 26 weeks with no symptoms. But I would gladly take a c section over risking my life or the life of my baby.

Good news is with partial or low lying placenta your case will likely clear on its own.
  • Options
    I had a low lying placenta at my 20w scan. They told me that it moves with the uterus as it expands and in 99% of the cases it will not be a problem.
    At 28w I started bleeding heavily so we went to L&D and had a little scare... They thought maybe the baby had kicked the placenta in some way, which caused the bleeding. While trying to stop the bleeding, they also prepped me for a c-section in case the placenta was too damaged. Luckily, the bleeding stoped and the placenta looked good and the baby had a good heartbeat (and really strong kicks)! But the placenta was still lying very low according to the scans they made at L&D. I have another u/s coming up in a week, hopefully it will have moved a bit by then.
    I was told by the doctor that if it doesn't move from it's current position (about 25 mm from the cervix), I can probably still have a vag delivery, provided it starts by itself. Don't know about what happens otherwise... But mine is just low lying, not partial or previa.
    I think in most cases there are no complications and the placenta moves by itself. Hopefully yours will too! GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"