Breastfeeding
Options

mixing cold and fresh milk

So I recently found out you are not suppose to mix fresh milk with cold milk. I have approximately 50 ounces frozen that were previously mixed. What I would do was pump a few ounces and then put the bottle in the fridge. Next time I pumped I would pull the bottles out of the fridge and pump directly into them. Once I got enough I would freeze them. Do I need to throw out all this milk since I mixed cold with fresh?

Re: mixing cold and fresh milk

• Options
    When I've accidentally mixed fresh and cold, it's always gone bad so you may want to give it the sniff test once it's defrosted. Mine would always get chunky, which is how I knew.
    Married since April 2011-Homeowners since January 2012-TTC since June 2012
    Welcomed DS June 2014
  • Options
    Silly question...would it smell like regular spoiled milk if it's bad?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I heard you can mix cold with cold ... I put fresh in the fridge & wait until it's cold then mix the two
  • Options
    I would do the smell test. If it smells ok and baby takes it then it should be ok. I'd check each bag individually as you need them. Some may be ok if they were more similar temps even if others don't make it.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, this is risky for spoilage.  You'll know if it's spoiled by smelling it and/or tasting it. For future reference, you will want to mix milk only when it's at the same temp. It's best to freeze in small amounts, no more than 4 oz, I froze in 2,3,4 ounce increments. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"