May 2015 Moms
Options

Christmas Phone Call

MrsPDXMrsPDX member
edited December 2014 in May 2015 Moms
I knew DH might get to call today (from Marine training), but might not. Deep down I was convinced he would call though. Then at 10:30 he did, but it was only 1 min max and it was on speaker....

He hadn't gotten any of my recent letters, so I had to tell him he was expecting a son in front of his whole platoon.

It didn't sound like him at all. He was silent after I told him. It just felt awkward. I feel it would have been better if he didn't call at all.

And after I hung up I burst into tears. I thought his phone call would make my Christmas and instead it has worsened it. I've never been sadder on Christmas... :(

ETA: kind of random, just felt like I wanted to share somewhere...
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Christmas Phone Call

• Options
    I'm sorry- I can't imagine how tough that must be to have such limited contact with him :(
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Options
    I'm sorry you had to go through that, sweetie! Sending hugs to you that you have a better Christmas!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What a bummer! Sorry girl. :(

He probably just needs sometime to process. My hubby never called during bootcamp, only letters.

It'll be different when you get to see him. He's just in a different mindset right now.

Hugs to you!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

TTC: Started May 2012
    Bloodwork - potential ovulation issue which seemed to be fixed by clomid.
    SA - Mot (36%) and count low 9.3 mil (updated) 
    HSG - Oct 16 2013 - came back clear
    Clomid #1 - Nov. 2013 - BFN
    BFP#1 =  Clomid #2, Dec. 2013 - EDD 9.9.14 Loss Jan 9
    Femara #1 + Trigger (2/21) Feb. 2014 +ruptured ovarian cyst - BFN
    SIS clear
    April 2014: 50IU Follistim CD3-CD9 + 25IU CD10-CD13+CD13 trigger 1 mature follie= BFN
    IUI #1: May 2014 50IU Follistim + trigger + IUI = BFN
    IUI #2: June 2014 50IU Follistim + IUI (3 mil sperm)=  BFN
    TI #2: June 2014 50IU Follistim  + Trigger = BFN
    BFP#2 = IUI# 3: Aug 2014 75IU Follistim+ Trigger + IUI (2 mil sperm) EDD May 15

BabyFruit Ticker

Love bugs unite!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm sorry - maybe he was shocked/happy and you can't see? I mean the stinky part of the phone is you don't get to see the reactikn
  • Options
    I'm sorry - maybe he was shocked/happy and you can't see? I mean the stinky part of the phone is you don't get to see the reactikn
  • Options
    It is SO hard to have a normal conversation in those circumstances. He was probably overwhelmed by the news but froze given that he was surrounded by so many other people! These are special moments that are not normally shared in such a public way so when that is the only option, we are not at all prepared how to react. 

The long distance thing with limited communication is SO tough and it's so easy to misunderstand what's going on on the other end. The fact he didn't get any letters doesn't help either - what a bummer. Your thoughts go to the worst possible outcome, when for all you know he was choked up with happiness.

Hang in there. I bet you will have your wonderful moments with him just as soon as he is back.

• Options
    I agree with PP, maybe he was just shocked and surprised. Hopefully you'll get to speak to him soon.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Me (34) PCOS

DH (36) Poor morphology and motility

TTC since 2011

2013 cycles 1, 2, and 3 on Clomid, all BFN

2013 cycles 4, and 5 IUI with Clomid, both BFN

DH and I took a break for several months

7/15/2014 started Acupuncture 

7/26/2014 start Follistim for IVF cycle, ER on 8/8, develop OHSS, ET almost cancelled

8/13/2014 ET proceeds on our wedding anniversary, transfer 2 5DB, 8/23 BFP

EDD 5/1/2015

• Options
    I'm so sorry, I cannot imagine what you are going through. But congratulations on you little boy, he just needs time to process. I know he must be super excited! And you should be too!erry Christmas and I'm sending you a creepy Internet hug!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel a bit better. It just didn't feel like him at all, and that is so hard since we have so little communication, to talk and for it to sound like a complete stranger, especially when I am telling him about our son, is like heartbreaking!

I'm hoping in the next 1-2 weeks I'll get a letter and it will reassure me everything is ok...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you had to tell him that way.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you had to experience this. I remember when my husband was deployed. I loved the phone calls I got but they often had me crying when we hung up because it just didn't seem like him. We talked about that once he got home and he said it was weird talking to me because he was so far away and things were so different there he just couldn't connect and it made him miss things even more.
    Hopefully the next time you talk it will be better.
  • Options
    I don't know what to say, but I am sending you love and hugs!!
  • Options
    I'm sorry this happened. Let me tell you though, they are not the same people while they are in boot camp. I could tell with DH, he would rather write me a letter than talk to me in front of everyone - he felt very awkward. Also, one time I called him (towards the end of boot camp when he could have his phone on him), he answered, and he got sooo much shit from his instructor even though they were DONE with boot camp. It's like they don't let them be human sometimes and have normal reactions... I know your husband's reaction was a big disappointment but I would save any big news to when he can talk to you on a normal basis and not for only one minute, you'll notice the difference in his voice right away. He is probably super excited but I'm guessing he didn't feel like he was "allowed" to express it. I hope you feel better soon :)
  • Options
    I completely agree w PP. You enjoy this holiday season, I'm sure ur DH is super happy but couldn't quite express it in a 1 min call.
  • Options
    He could have been holding back years of joy and couldn't speak because then they would have flown out in front of the superiors/ instructors.

Me (28) DH (34) actively TTC since 2010

2011 dx by RE: Severe mfi- Treatment option: IVF w/ ICSI ( I declined the RE recommendation to use ds),  2012  IVF#1 w/ICSI long Lupron protocol + follistim + menopour.  Transferred 2 day 3 embys, ended in early m/c, 2013 IVF#2 w/ICSI bcp, lupron, & a lot of friggin follistim. Received a call the morning of transfer that they ceased, 2014  1/11/14 -cycle day 1, unmedicated AI w. DS.  AI #1 1.23.14, scheduled again for 1.25.14, & 1.27.14

My baby lives in my heart.  Juliette Marie 1/17/2008 - forever 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"