Breastfeeding

FTM - need some reassurance

LO is 6 days old today - we are back at the pedi tomorrow for a check-up, but in the meantime I jsut need some reassurance. 

I hear everyone else who has a newborn is just constantly feeding & attached at the boob - and mine isn't!  We feed about every 2-3 hours, and feeds last at most 20 mins, but usually only about 10 mins or less per side.  After he's done sucking, he unlatches himself, and dozes off to sleep.  I keep the breast available of he wants it, but rarely will he latch back on.  And if I switch sides he may suckle for just a minute and then refuse to maintain his latch.  He is having the normal #'s of wet/poop diapers.  HE also doesn't seem like he is doing any of the "cluster feeding" that everyone seems to talk about.  LC at the hospital said his latch was great.  

Last night we fed at 9:30p (12 mins), 12:30a (9 mins), 3a (7 mins), and then we were up at 5:45, did both breasts 10 mins on each.  

Any input?  I'm starting to feel like I am starving my baby, but its not like my breast isn't available any time he wants it.  It not like I can force him to nurse, right?Very curious to see where his weight is at tomorrow's appointment.  

Re: FTM - need some reassurance

• Both my kids were good like that. Sounds normal to me! I think people who have easy babies don't post lots of questions on message boards, so you don't know how common it is
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Sounds normal to me! You could also be blessed with a healthy supply that came in well so LO didn't have to demand so constantly to boost your supply. Keep it up :)

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone! He was just 1oz shy of birth weight at his 1 week appt yesterday, so I feel a lot better now. The pedi told me to stop looking for things to stress about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"