April 2014 Moms

Ask an A14er

2»

Re: Ask an A14er

• @Roufi‌, no, I'm a faker. My mother is of Irish descent and gave me an Irish name, but that's about it. Her dad knew his cousins in Ireland, but contact died with his generation. My mother is so far from speaking Gaelic, she called a classmate of mine named Siobhan "See-ob-han" for years.

DH's family is mostly Irish and Scottish, and we've traveled a lot around there, and I guess we feel kind of a connection with that bit of our heritage and gave our kids super irishy/scottishy names. Or it could just be that German names sound god awful in English. I used to threaten my grandma I'd use names from her family tree, and my firstborn would be "Gottlieb". She always told me, "Don't you dare!"

And back at you - aren't you Quebecois? How did your baby wind up with such a super Irish name?

Gottlieb would have been awesome! Haha. I'm so jealous that you've travelled in Ireland and Scotland.

I'm from the Eastern Townships of Quebec which is a very Anglophone area with Irish and Scottish heritage. My grandparents on my dad's side were farmers of Scottish/Irish descent, and Shea's middle name is from my grandpa Roderick. My H's father has Irish ancestry as well and Seamus was almost his name instead of Sean.

Funny thing is when I first encountered the name in Harry Potter a million years ago I thought it was pronounced Seem-us.
  • Who has to work this week? and who is actually WORKING if they have to work this week?

My brain is running on limited resources- I just want to relax!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Holljade said:
    Who has to work this week? and who is actually WORKING if they have to work this week?

I'm working... This is our busiest time of year.  I cannot wait until January when I can relax and laugh at this madness that has occurred the last few weeks!
  • This is a busy time of year for me as well. Whoever does the staffing forecasting to have people start in January when we have three weeks where our background team has short weeks was obviously drunk.

• I haven't worked in almost 2 years but I've been collecting a paycheck the whooooole time. Mouahaha...I'm going to actually die when I go back in April I think. X_X

I am ridiculously jelly of you and kinda sorta hate you a little bit right now. I'll probably get over it eventually.

Over it.

• Who has to work this week? and who is actually WORKING if they have to work this week?

I start my new job Saturday - ugh!
    Hopefully you get to enjoy your final week of freedom!

• I'm "working" though tomorrow.  It is so frickin' slow here.  I'm bored.  My Mom has the kids, and I would love to be home wrapping presents.  Or sleeping.  Or weaving.  Mainly sleeping.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• @deidremaria

Are you a fraternal or identical twin?

Do you have any advice on how to be a good mom to twin girls? Mine are fraternal. I worry a lot about treating them equally and them being compared by other people. I can already tell their needs and personalities are very different. They also look different and I worry about people labeling as the "smart" one or the "pretty" one. Did you ever experience this?

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Roufi said:

@Roufi‌, no, I'm a faker. My mother is of Irish descent and gave me an Irish name, but that's about it. Her dad knew his cousins in Ireland, but contact died with his generation. My mother is so far from speaking Gaelic, she called a classmate of mine named Siobhan "See-ob-han" for years.

DH's family is mostly Irish and Scottish, and we've traveled a lot around there, and I guess we feel kind of a connection with that bit of our heritage and gave our kids super irishy/scottishy names. Or it could just be that German names sound god awful in English. I used to threaten my grandma I'd use names from her family tree, and my firstborn would be "Gottlieb". She always told me, "Don't you dare!"

And back at you - aren't you Quebecois? How did your baby wind up with such a super Irish name?

Gottlieb would have been awesome! Haha. I'm so jealous that you've travelled in Ireland and Scotland.

I'm from the Eastern Townships of Quebec which is a very Anglophone area with Irish and Scottish heritage. My grandparents on my dad's side were farmers of Scottish/Irish descent, and Shea's middle name is from my grandpa Roderick. My H's father has Irish ancestry as well and Seamus was almost his name instead of Sean.

Funny thing is when I first encountered the name in Harry Potter a million years ago I thought it was pronounced Seem-us.
    Neat! I had no idea there was a bastion of Britishness in Quebec. I know eastern Canada has some really Scottish areas mostly because I love the Glengharry Bhoys. :P

Seamus is one if the names DH always insisted he'd use. Like 10 years ago he told me our kids would all have very Irish names - Seamus, Patrick, Liam, and Molly. I asked what if there were multiple girls, and he said they'd all be Molly. LOL!

Not actually what we went with, but I think he predicted the spirit of our naming pretty well.

I LOVED traveling in Ireland and Scotland. DH studied in Belfast, so he took me in a sort of unusual tour mostly of the North, and I spent New Year's in Scotland with one of my BFFs - singing Auld Lang Syne in Edinburgh? Super cool! We went to all the castles and battlefields and the history is sooooo bloody.

DH also taught me to pretend to be from Boston in Ireland. It's amazing; everyone's suddenly your best friend. (He actually grew up in Boston so it wasn't completely sociopathic lying. I was so worried they'd catch me out by my accent, but DH laughed and said the Irish think all Americans sound like we're from Texas anyway.)
    Montréal has one of the biggest st - Patrick's day parades outside Dublin. Thousands of Irish orphans came over during the potatoe famine and most québécois have irish descendents somewhere. These orphans were adopted by French families so you get a lot a francophones with very irish last names. We considered the name Molly to go with our Finnegan but we went with something more uncommon, Aislyn (Aisling)
    I love all thing celtic/Gaelic, highland dance, play bagpipes.
  • @roufi My name was actually pretty random! Originally I used my real name for the Knot, but when I moved over to the Bump and started frequenting the forums I didn't want to use my real name anymore and asked the Bump gods to change it for me.

I just looked around the room and saw DD's Easter basket (bluebirds on it) and then at my computer (was playing a game at the time and the first # I saw was 2318).

I do have a thing for birds though, especially little birds (songbirds and the like). I have a little necklace with a bird charm on it, bird pattern cloth wipes, etc. My DD got some Digi-Birds for Christmas and I almost wanted to keep them for myself!
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Are there A14 ladies that are friends in real life? I thought there were a few...
  • @joytomylifex‌ I have met a few. Mamamonzo, jellysparkles, Rogue237, and Pineconey. Pineconey and I actually went to the same high school. I live near-ish to Rogue and Jelly so they're the only ones I have met more than once.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Are there A14 ladies that are friends in real life? I thought there were a few...
    There have been a couple of New England meet-ups I think, and quite a few of the California ladies are friends. BIRL, @poru, @KatieGummow and another one that has twins, but I can't remember her exact screen name. @LittleLady77 or something? I think @mamrotu73 met up with a few CA ladies during her travels within the past few months and @mrscrcalli also.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • @joytomylifex‌ I have met a few. Mamamonzo, jellysparkles, Rogue237, and Pineconey. Pineconey and I actually went to the same high school. I live near-ish to Rogue and Jelly so they're the only ones I have met more than once.
    I don't think I ever knew that about you and Piney! That's so neat! Did y'all not know each other in HS? How long did it take before you realized that you had gone to school together? And did you know I PMd you? :D

• Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited December 2014
    @edoliesmom‌ I didn't know her since she was a few years older, but her younger sister was in my graduating class! I don't even remember how it came up! I think we knew we were both from Michigan and it just came up that way. When we met up while pregnant last winter it was at a local restaurant in our home town.

And no I didn't! I have issues getting to my inbox on my phone. It always treats me like I am logged out. I will have to check when I can access a computer!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mamrotu73 said:
    More on flying/not flying anymore. It's a lot like "Giants in the Sky." The fun is done, you steal what you can and run. And you scramble down and you look below and the world you know begins to grow: The roof, the house, and your mother at the door. The roof, the house, and the world you never thought to explore. And you think of all of the things you've seen. And you wish that you could live in between. And you're back again only different than before After the sky. https://youtu.be/SBF5KO4iuK4 ETA: fuck you paragraphs for not working.
    So excited for the movie.  I really hope it lives up to the hype.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• zazu13 said:

@deidremaria

Are you a fraternal or identical twin?

Do you have any advice on how to be a good mom to twin girls? Mine are fraternal. I worry a lot about treating them equally and them being compared by other people. I can already tell their needs and personalities are very different. They also look different and I worry about people labeling as the "smart" one or the "pretty" one. Did you ever experience this?

I love this question! We're identical. It's good that you see differences in your girls. The best thing you can do is embrace those differences and allow them to be individuals. My mom was one of those dress them alike kinda parents. People naturally expect twins to be alike so if you're the one person they can count on to let them be different they'll love it. I did experience guys flirting with me by calling me the pretty one which got them NOWHERE because in my eyes it was an insult to my twin which will never be ok with me. Also, as close as they are, they WILL have the occasional fight. Let them work it out on their own unless it gets too out of hand. Trust your judgement.
  • @mamrotu73 so he needs to come to Jacksonville next move! I tell DH all the time now that he should have joined the Navy or air force because I like their bases better
  • @deidremaria‌ Have you always lived on the island? I know you've mentioned relatives in NY...

Nope. I was born in nyc. So was my mom and big sister. My grandparents were from here and met in NY. my mom and all her siblings were born and raised in ny and would visit throughout their childhood. My mom hated the city and relocated us here when my twin and I were 5. My big sister hates it here so my mom let her go back to ny to live with my grandma. She was 14 at the time.
  • @edoliesmom‌ are you guys planning to try for another? If yes, when?
  • Any other STM+ mess up the holidays this year? I made the mistake of getting DD a big gift (new bed/desk set) which had to be set up before Christmas, so she really isn't getting much else. I will never get a big gift like this around the holidays again/ it kind of ruins it when you can't open on Christmas Day YKWIM? Also, Bc of work and the baby we didn't even decorate or anything. We took no holiday pics nothing.

In fact it hasn't just been the holidays. I feel like I have been slacking on the whole being a good mom thing the whole year.

Another question for STM+ how do you have the energy/mental capacity etc to make childhood awesome with less time? Less sleep? I feel like I need to cut back if I'm gonna make this work (even though as it stand I'm not getting that much anyways!)

• chichi589chichi589 member
    edited December 2014
    @edoliesmom‌ did you always know you would be married young? How did you meet Edolies dad?
  • @tlp2558‌ Just another example of how we're really supposed to be BFFs. ;)

• @Vinny424 Haha do tell.

• tlp2558 said:

@edoliesmom‌ are you guys planning to try for another? If yes, when?

We're like.. 86.5% sure we're going to try for another. lol On the hard days we're like, "Edolie can be an only child. It'll be fine," but deep down we know we really want at least 2 kids. We would like a 2-2 1/2 year spacing, so probably will start trying when she's around 18 months. I got pregnant from one time, so we're relying on that happening again.

chichi589 said:

@edoliesmom‌ did you always know you would be married young? How did you meet Edolies dad?

I think I did, yeah. When I was a teen, I knew I didn't want to date for fun. I wanted to date with the intention of being serious and eventually marriage. I met my first husband, Josh, when I was 17, and I knew I was going to marry him after just a couple months of dating. :) I met Brent at work. We both worked at a school. I met him on my 21st birthday actually, just 7 months after Josh passed. We became friends after a few months, started dating a month later, got engaged and married all within 11 months. :)

---------------

My H and I were quick too.. Met to married in a year. My family thought I'd lost my mind. But we just knew.

Edit: quote fail

My SO and I were hs sweethearts, went our separate ways for 8 years or so, got back together & were expecting DS 4 months later ;)
  • @Ashleypixie‌ you are a hairstylist right?

What is your opinion of people with long, fine but thick hair? Do you find them hard to style? Do you come across people with this type of hair often? When you realize someone with this type of hair is sitting in your salon chair do you cringe?

I have a follow up question to this but want to hear your opinion first.

• I don't know, fine, thick hair is definitely not the hardest to work with. You can always count on it styling straight and smooth, but too slippery to hold a curl. Fine hair damages easy, so I cringe when a client wants to go a lot lighter or wants a ton of layers, because it roughs up the cuticle and looks whispy. It's the perfect texture for shoulder or chin length styles because it can smooth out well and has enough thickness to support a style like that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know, fine, thick hair is definitely not the hardest to work with. You can always count on it styling straight and smooth, but too slippery to hold a curl. Fine hair damages easy, so I cringe when a client wants to go a lot lighter or wants a ton of layers, because it roughs up the cuticle and looks whispy. It's the perfect texture for shoulder or chin length styles because it can smooth out well and has enough thickness to support a style like that.

Oh interesting I thought layers were ideal!

I was told at dry bar one time they couldn't give me the big hair southern comfort style BC I had no layers and my hair was too long and fine ( this coming from a chain that says they are experts in styling any kind of hair- sadly it's not true)

I have issues with anyone being able to curl/wave my hair except for myself which makes me kind of sad bc I would totally love to pay someone else to do my hair (and know that it will come out right) I don't think I look good with my hair stick straight bc it looks too flat (unless I use dry shampoo I can't get volume to save my life and even then it can still fall flat as even so straight hair makes my face look fatter I feel)

I appreciate the detailed answer!

#FirstWorldHairProblems.

• Nah, just go a little shorter and focus your layers in the front. You're probably not going to get super big Texas hair but a large barrel curling iron will give it some swing. And all over layers are fine just as long as they're still long.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"