Breastfeeding

Thinking about weaning

So my little one is 3 and a half months old and is doing great. Since he was in the NICU for two weeks, I was never able to establish nursing well. However, I have been pumping like a champ the entire time. I kept waiting for my nipples to toughen up and for the pain and cracked nipples and soreness to go away--it never has. My breasts have been in some form or pain the whole time I have been pumping regardless of what I do. I am exhausted, I'm tired of pumping so much to avoid more pain and I am tired of never wanting to be intimate with my husband because hormones are keeping my libido from existing and again--super tender breasts.

Part of my wants to pump until 6 months, and another part of my wants to be done with it all. I don't know if I want advise so much as to vent and know if this is normal. I am so tired.

Re: Thinking about weaning

• Quick question, are you saying you are exclusively pumping, yet your nipples are still sore? That shouldn't be the case.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Im not sure how to explain it, but that is what is happening.
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe you have your pump on too high of a setting. Pumping shouldn't hurt, and should not cause cracks. Even if you give up BF, your libido may not return right away. Even FF mamas are exhausted and that can still interfere. If you want to wean, I'd slowly cut out a pumping session every few days to a week, but if you want to make it to 6 months maybe try adjusting the suction, and get some lubrication for downstairs...that usually helps.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• agree with PP - initially my pumping was causing pain. i wasn't aware that i didn't HAVE to have it on the highest setting all the time. i must've read the manual wrong.  i used to dial it up to the max but now find i get good output at about 1/3 the dial.

fwiw ... umm my boobs don't hurt but i pretty much don't want to be intimate EVER bc i'm exhausted from working, feeding, pumping, etc!!

hang in there!

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agree that pumping shouldn't hurt, so try a few of the suggestions If you'd like....but if you want to be done don't feel guilty! Pumping exclusively for that long is a huge accomplishment. If you are thinking about it try offering some formula now so your LO is used to it. Took my LO some time before she took a full bottle of formula (I combo feed now and am currently weaning off nursing and pumping)
  • Def look at your flange size. Had too big of flanges and my breasts ached, however it sounds like yours might be too small. Your nipple should not touch the sides of the tunnel at all. 

Also same as above, just because you stop BF doesn't mean your libido will return.  With my first DD I stopped nursing at 6 weeks and had pain with sex until she was almost a year. That def killed my libido.
  • I also vote checking the size of the flange. The ones that came with my pump were too large and I ended up with dark purple bruising around my nipples. The right size made all the difference and pumping was no longer painful. GL!

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"