Infertility

Acupuncture tips & advice?

So I had my first acupuncture appointment on Friday-- and I loved it! You were so right @vballbaby! Thanks for the encouragement!
Now I'm just wondering about a few things... My acupuncturist wants to see me once a week starting now, until transfer (probably early Feb the way things are going...) On the day of transfer she wants to see me twice, once before and once after, then 5 days after that. She also mentioned that acupuncture and IVF together is 60% more effective than IVF alone. I'm not blindly believing everything she tells me, since so many "statistics" are made up... but does anyone have any tips/advice/success stories? Is once a week too often? Should I go more often closer to retrieval? 

She also told me to "keep my baby oven warm", not really sure what she expects from me there... :)

Thanks everyone! I'm just excited to finally feel like I'm DOING something to prep for this roller coaster

:-bd
Married since September 2014
Me: 32, Addison's Disease causing premature ovarian failure
DH: 32, Testicular cancer survivor
*Gameday decision** IUI or IVF cycle #1 beginning January '15 postponed to February '15
Change of plans-- Donor Egg Cycle beginning Dec '15
Currently we have our little fur-baby Milo to keep us busy! 

Re: Acupuncture tips & advice?

• That sounds in line with my acupuncturist(s)'s recommendations; I've seen two. My RE thinks it helps with stress relief, and that's why studies show it improves results, but I think there really is something to be said for it increasing blood flow to the uterus. I think the pre/post transfer appointments are the most important.

Mine was a little more specific about staying warm- wearing warm socks, especially at night, avoiding ice cold beverages and foods. Using a heating pad on my lower stomach when it feels cold. 

Good luck!

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

• I wax told twice a week at my clinic, but during my last cycle I was going every other day (I volunteer there so I get mine for free).
    I also did right before and after at my clinic (they have their own acupuncturist).

My Dr. said it added between 5-15% depending on the study if done right away.
    me 33- everything looks good
    mister 34- PCD zero motilty 
    TTC#1 using donor sperm
    IUI#1 Dec 2nd-BFN
    IUI# Dec 28th-BFN
    IUI#3 Jan 26th-BFN
    IUI#4  Feb 26th-BFP
    mc March 2014
    IUI#5 April 6th prometrium-BFN
    IUI #6 cancled ovulated too early
    IVF# 1 July
    ER: Aug 3rd: 18R 15M 14F
    10 embryos frozen
    ET: Oct. 7th 1x5BA blast-BFN
    ET: Jan 9th 1x3AA blast- Beta 1/21

imageimageimageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My acupuncturist has me go once a week until after my period and it is time to build lining.  Then he has me come twice a week until the ET.  He had me come the day before and the day of the transfer.  It definitely helps!!  Such a stressful time!  Well worth the time for acupuncture!!!  Good Luck!

My TTC Story:

Me: 40,DH: 48, Married 10/07/2011, TTC since 09/2011, 03/2012 Started Clomid, 04/2012
    Clomid, 05/2012 Clomid, 06/2012 Went to RE, he found a plum size fibroid in uterus, husband has low sperm count, 06/06/2012 Removed fibroid, 08/2012 Hysteroscopy
    IVF #1 October 2012 - Retrieved 8 eggs, 5 fertilized, 10/13/2012 Transferred 3 embryos - 8, 5, and 4 cells,
    the other 2 eggs did not survive freezing, 10/26/2012 BFP!! Beta: 11, 10/26/12 Beta: 2 = Chemical Pregnancy
    IVF #2 - March 2014 - Mini IVF - Retrieved 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 4 Frosties - 8, 9, 7, and 7 cells all in good condition. 

IVF #3 - May 2014 - Mini IVF - Retrieved 2 eggs, 2 fertilized, 2 Frosties - 6 and 8 in good condition. 
    FET #1 - September 2014 - Transferred 2 embryos - both 8 cells - BFN

FET#2 - November 2014 - Transferred 2 embryos - BFN

FET#3 - February 2014

*PAIF/SAIF Welcome*

image image  image image   image image

• That's awesome :) yes mine said once a week now, twice per week once I start stimming, day before ER and the day of ET. We didn't get so far as to discuss after that. She also told me to stay warm and recommended fresh ginger/hot water with honey upon rising for digestion. I've been bundling up lately I already go to sleep with a heating pad. She also said to eat beets every day which builds the blood. I can't wait to go back tuesday :) so glad you had a good experience @saysjess! Really relaxing right? Did she cup your back?
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• katers79katers79 member
    edited December 2014
    I must be the anomaly. Yes, it relaxes me AFTER, but I can't relax much during acupuncture. I'm too hyperaware of needles sticking out of me.

I did weekly appts leading up to FET, and then went the friday before (FET was Monday) and the day of.

Other than that, just stay relaxed and as stress-free as possible. I'm a dietitian, so I already eat pretty well. I hadn't heard to keep warm...interesting!

If anything, I think any little bit "extra" helps. GL!

ETA damn autocorrect

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

• @katers79‌ I don't sit still well, so I know what you mean. She keeps telling me most people sleep, I definitely could not! It's a great feeling after it's done, but it feels like I'm laying there forever.
  • @katers79 and @CML11 I've seen two acupuncturists for my fertility treatments (the first one retired to Mexico!) and with the first, I couldn't really relax at all and would sometimes sneak my phone and play games while lying there. With my new one, I'm very relaxed. The new one uses music or a sound machine and keeps the bed heater on for me, which I think helps, and she does a few different spots than the other one, did, which I think must help with my relaxation, too.

I also started listening to the Circle + Bloom IVF/IUI Meditation discs and during my last cycle, I listened to that day's disc while having my treatment and found that very beneficial.

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

• @vballbaby‌ -- she didn't cup my back! But I'm going to get her to do it next time! She also mentioned ear seeds, which I might try as well! And it looks like I'm buying some beets :)
    *Gameday decision** IUI or IVF cycle #1 beginning January '15 postponed to February '15

• vballbabyvballbaby member
    edited December 2014
    Had my 2nd treatment yesterday and it was even better than the first! She started with electrodes and needles in my back and let me relax for about 30 minutes, it felt great and I was just about asleep, then removed and some acupressure massage. Flipped me over and she put some needles in my tummy and lit some kind of herb out of the top of one of the needles, it smelled good and she said something about breathing but I'm not really sure what it all meant! Then I had more massage. I admit that I did feel the slight pricks this time with the needles in my lower back, it didn't hurt, I was just aware of them going in unlike the first time when they were placed differently. I'm really enjoying this therapy. She also takes my pulse, looks at my tongue, we go over foods I'm eating, etc. She's a little hard to understand as she's Chinese, that's been my only difficulty "what was that?" lol.
    Edit OP - have you been keeping warm? I seem to be hyper aware now anytime I'm cold, or my feet are cold, I'm quick to bundle up. I've been drinking the ginger tea in the morning with seems to perk me up and aid in digestion. I've read some studies on acupuncture helping with IVF but nothing I read said 60%. It was closer to 30% vs. 15% sort of numbers - but hey, that's huge in my opinion.
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN

• Definitely! My second appointment is after Christmas, but I already can't wait! Where else does your acupuncturist put the needles? Mine don't go into my back, just my feet, legs, stomach, ears and arms.
    I've been trying to keep warm, especially when I'm outside, Hubs thinks I'm paranoid, but everything helps, right?!?!
    I wanted to ask you about the ginger tea, do you just put fresh ginger in boiling water? Or is it actual tea bags?

• @saysjess‌ yes this second appt she put needles in my lower back and up on my shoulders, she said that since the spine leads to your female organs it's good to work on the spine too. On my front this time she only did my belly, literally one needle. Last time she did a bunch around my belly, feet, wrists, ears. She said she would do something a little diff each time. Ginger tea, yes I just peel and put a few big slices and put boiling water over it. I am going to start chopping it tho because I want more flavor and spice! Play around with it. I happen to love ginger, the hotter the better! :) sometimes I put local honey in it as well. She said the antibodies are good. Hope that helps!

• Awesome! Thanks @vballbaby‌ i'll try the tea tomorrow :) i'll let you know where my needles go next time!

• @kbojo24‌ My acupuncturist works with all different types of fertility patients, so I would bet they all do. It supposedly has many fertility benefits.
  • Hi! I'd definitely try it! Google fertility acupuncture in your area and see if you can find one. It's supposed to help with relaxation and it helps to bring blood to the reproductive organs, so it couldn't hurt :) good luck and let me know if you need any advice or tips!

• I feel asleep today and started dreaming during acupuncture, it was the best nap I've had in a while! @kbojo24, if you're feeling stressed and want to relax, I would totally encourage trying it! @saysjess have you been cupped yet? :) Mine seems to do it every time, although not for as long as my first appt when she left them on for a while. Today was the most needles of all on my frontside and she put those electrode things on my belly, I think I was just vibrated to sleep!

• saysjesssaysjess member
    edited December 2014
    Hey @vballbaby‌ :) I've been a bit MIA with Christmas... But so has my acupuncturist! I haven't been able to get in to see her since my first appointment! I'm calling today to make another one -- and my schedule all my my next appointments so I don't miss any more... And I'm going to mention that I want cupping next time :wink:

• I have my first accupuncutre appointment next Monday, a bit nervous about it. I think at this point I am willing to try anything though. I will let you all know how it goes :)

Me-26 (hypothyroid, diabetes) DH-28 (MFI-low count, poor motility)

TTC since 2010

RE- 2012

IUI #1 2013: BFN

IUI #2 2014 BFN

new RE 2014

IVF #1 08/17/2014: 8 ER, 4 5 d blastos, 2 transferred, beta #1 68 beta #2 34 CP

FET #1 09/2014 (2 embryos transferred) BFN

IVF #2:

• @apitts2‌ -- don't be nervous! Just go in there and take those needles like a champ! If your experience is anything like mine and @vballbaby‌ then you're probably going to love it! Keep us posted I want to hear all about how it was for you!
    Go eat some beets and keep that baby oven warm in the meantime ;)

• I'm actually really bummed that my acupuncturist is closed for vaca this week. Can't wait to go back. I have the best naps ever when I go :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"