Breastfeeding
Options

Extended BFing Weekly Check-in- 12/23

For the purposes of this check-in, we will define extended breastfeeding as breastfeeding beyond 1 year. Please feel free to suggest questions for future check-ins! :)

1. How old is your LO?
2. How many times per day does your LO nurse?
3. Do you still nurse overnight? Did you deliberately night-wean or did your LO drop night feeds on his/her own?
What do you feel is the most important benefit of extended BFing?

Pregnant & BFing Moms: How are you doing this week? Any issues with supply, pain, aversion? Questions for other moms?

Non-breastfeeding question of the week:

What is your favorite holiday dish to make? Share recipes if you'd like. :)

Re: Extended BFing Weekly Check-in- 12/23

• Options
    1. How old is your LO? 17 months
    2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? Usually twice, more if she's sick
    3. Do you still nurse overnight? Did you deliberately night-wean or did your LO drop night feeds on his/her own? Nope. I was blessed with a VERY good sleeper who was down for 12 hrs from a really early age. I'm sure the same won't happen with #2!
    What do you feel is the most important benefit of extended BFing? It seems to bring a great sense of security and comfort to LO, which is why I'm hesitant to stop, despite wanting my body back for a little while before we TTC #2. It's so cute - she unlatches lately to have a "conversation" with me. Loves to reply with "Ok!" and repeat things back. 

Pregnant & BFing Moms: How are you doing this week? Any issues with supply, pain, aversion? Questions for other moms?

What is your favorite holiday dish to make? Share recipes if you'd like. :)Wish I had something to contribute  I generally do more eating than food-preparing this season. Happy holidays to all!

• Options
    1. How old is your LO? 16 months
    2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? 2x (wake-up & bedtime)
    3. Do you still nurse overnight? Did you deliberately night-wean or did your LO drop night feeds on his/her own? No - LO started STTN consistently at 6 months old and hasn't woken to nurse since then.
    4. What do you feel is the most important benefit of extended BFing?  Mostly the one-on-one bonding time with LO, especially now that she's running around so much during the day, and the ability to comfort her when nothing else is working.  I also like to think there are some health/immune systems benefits, but I'm not sure if that's actually supported by research!

What is your favorite holiday dish to make? Tater tot casserole and oatmeal cranberry pecan cookies

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. How old is your LO? 28 months
    2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? 2- morning wake-up and before bed
    3. Do you still nurse overnight? Did you deliberately night-wean or did your LO drop night feeds on his/her own? No. DS mostly stopped by himself at around 18 months (except when he was sick). I did do a bit of encouraging, telling him that he could nurse in a little while when the sun came up, or getting DH to comfort him.
    What do you feel is the most important benefit of extended BFing? Hard to pick just one! Maybe a tie between comfort/bonding, immune benefits for DS, and health benefits for me (decreased risk of breast cancer, heart disease, etc.)

Pregnant & BFing Moms: How are you doing this week? Any issues with supply, pain, aversion? Questions for other moms? Hanging in there at 2x a day and keeping the sessions pretty short. Still not enjoying nursing. AM is more bearable than PM for some reason. I seem to have a decent amount of milk. DS has been kind of mommy-fixated lately, so I hope I can get some good quality time with him when I'm off for a couple of days for the holidays.

What is your favorite holiday dish to make? Share recipes if you'd like. :)I've been thinking about what I'm going to make for Christmas morning- I always make some kind of sweet bread. My favorites are Rosca de Reyes (sweet bread with almond filling) and Jim's Cinnamon Rolls (I leave out the raisins and I also don't use a bread machine). I also like these Triple Cinnamon Scones.

• Options
    vvvvvfee said:
    @Caz1221 Yes, the health and immune benefits of extended BFing are absolutely supported by research! :) See here for more info: https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/
    Thanks so much - this is great!

• Options
    1. How old is your LO?  19 months
    2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? 2 (morning/wake-up and bedtime)
    3. Do you still nurse overnight? Did you deliberately night-wean or did your LO drop night feeds on his/her own?  No. She started to STTN on her own pretty early and basically continued with only a few minor hiccups, usually when sick.
    What do you feel is the most important benefit of extended BFing?  For me it's the snuggles/bonding and the immune benefits for LO.

What is your favorite holiday dish to make? Share recipes if you'd like. :)  I'm so not a cook so I'm no help here. I'll eat almost anything though!
  • Options
    vvvvvfee said:

For the purposes of this check-in, we will define extended breastfeeding as breastfeeding beyond 1 year. Please feel free to suggest questions for future check-ins! :)

1. How old is your LO? 17+ months

2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? 2-3 times unless she's sick then more

3. Do you still nurse overnight? Did you deliberately night-wean or did your LO drop night feeds on his/her own? Cutting back on MOTN feeds since DS is due in early February. I don't really like that we're forcing the issue, but I don't want to have 2 LOs to feed MOTN if it can be avoided. We do give a bottle of WCM if she really won't calm down. Anyone have advice on dropping the bottles for MOTN? ?

What do you feel is the most important benefit of extended BFing?
    The bonding and ability to still be her favorite thing in the world.

We are still going are 33+ weeks. I never thought I would make it that far. My nipples are sore when her latch is bad so we are shortening sessions if needed. Keep it up mommas!!

What is your favorite holiday dish to make? Share recipes if you'd like. :)
    I love to make cookies which isn't a dish but at the holidays sometimes who needs real food? :) Happy holidays!

• Options
    @crash916
    have you read through the jay gordon night weaning method? i would try to night-wean that way, rather than giving a bottle of WCM as a substitute for nursing. put your SO in charge of comforting your DD when she wakes at night.

also, i think things will start to get easier for you soon as your LO approches 18 months. it was at around that age that DS really had a jump in language/concept comprehension, and could grasp the concept of, "not now, but later" (i.e., "boobies when the sun comes out"), so he flipped out less about not nursing.

hang in there!
  • Options
    Can I crash the party?

1.How old is your LO? ----15.5 months

2. How many times per day does your LO nurse? ----4-6 full sessions and she snacks all day long

3. Do you still nurse overnight? Did you deliberately night-wean or did your LO drop night feeds on his/her own? -----
    One early morning feeding between 4-6am

What do you feel is the most important benefit of extended BFing? -----She has rarely been sick and I love that my antibodies are a huge part of that.

Pregnant and BFing Moms: How are you doing this week? Any issues with supply, pain, aversion? Questions for other moms? ----- I just got my BFP so nothing yet. Hoping to eventually tandem nurse. If anyone has advice for me I would love to read it :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimagePregnancy Ticker
    August '15 January Siggy Challenge "Favorite Mean Girl" 
    Marianne Bryant - Easy A
  • Options
    casey78 said:

Welcome and congratulations, @blinnea23.

Thanks! :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimagePregnancy Ticker
    August '15 January Siggy Challenge "Favorite Mean Girl" 
    Marianne Bryant - Easy A
  • Options
    1. DD is 21 months

2. We nurse on demand. I know it's around 7-8 times usually.

3. We are still nursing o/n. I haven't even attempted night weaning. She barely wakes if I'm lying next to her, just fusses til I give her what she wants. If I'm not there or not fast enough she gets up and cries until she gets her "beebee". I am really undecided if I want to night wean or just go with the flow and let her handle it.

I'm nearly 8 weeks along and we are still nursing the same here. She is eating and sleeping more lately so her extra nursing sessions. Might be related to a growth spurt and not my pregnancy? I still have some nipple pain but it's not any worse. I just cover up to prevent twiddling and encourage her to nurse on one side if the other side is particularly sore from our last nursing session. I don't seem to have any noticeable supply issues except her extra nursing sessions? In short we're still doing alright.

4. I like to make cookies, egg nog and glogg (not this year). I tried my hand at making minced meat pies but I have yet to actually bake them so the jury is still out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"