TTC after 35

Interesting article on BBT as well as Melatonin

I've been continuing to chart, observing CM, OPKs when it looked promising and also to "test out" the LH, and watching what happens to BBT until my RE appointment on the 15th.  I was pleasantly surprised to have EWCM, a positive OPK followed by 2 NEGATIVE OPKs (take that you incompetant OBGYN), and enough of a temperature shift to get a vertical line on FF.  My temps have been hanging in there for 2 whole days (yeah, I know... but you have to celebrate the little victories LOL).  So I was secretly hoping that I FINALLY ovulated on my own... would love to actually be able to tell the RE I got AF. 

Anyway, last night I had a paper to work on and I was on my laptop late and worried I wouldn't sleep and BBT would be messed up so I took 2 melatonin pills.  I've taken them before and I should have only taken 1 but for some reason I had it in my head that the dosage was 2.  This morning my temperature PLUMMETED.  Like almost a whole degree plummeted. Since the only difference was the melatonin, which I haven't taken in a while I asked Dr. Google and low and behold, yep... melatonin makes your temp drop.  Even better I found this great study on lots of things that affect BBT and I thought I'd share.

As a side note... also found on the Mayo clinic website that Melatonin can decrease ovarian function (won't be taking it again)

Just thought I'd pass those along in case they help anyone else.  The drop in BBT would have been good to know.  I've taken melatonin before because it's non habit forming and I thought it was safe (again... idiot OBGYN).  I would like to be able to go back and see if the drops in my chart match when I took melatonin but of course, I didn't record that.  

me:41   dh:43 
Off Mirena Nov 2013, On Nuvaring end of Jan, Back off Sept 2014.  Never ending cycle starting end of Sept... 
11/14 Provera failed... cycle continues 
12/14 High FSH (57 "midcycle")  OBGYN had no clue... about anything 
01/15 More lab results coming back from RE. U/S showed small (1")cyst on left ovary, thin lining, and couldn't locate right ovary so  possibly straight to DE and IVF 

Occassionally mess with the chart below to see "what if" and learn (not to make it pretty but because FF stays drunk with me).  

My Ovulation Chart

Re: Interesting article on BBT as well as Melatonin

• Thanks for this info! I had recently read not to take melatonin so last night I tried some Nighty Night tea and it really helped.
    Me: 37
    DH: 35
    Married: 9/26/2011
    Hormones: All normal except AMH: Sept 2014 .022, Jan 2015 .05

My Ovulation Chart

My Babies 
  • Bummer about the melatonin..  That was an interesting study and totally confirms for me that my BBT chart is pretty much out this month as I am travelling to Thailand and that will totally screw with my BBT. 

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • @susykat77  I'd still do it.  I continued temping when I flew to Vegas AND when I was on Provera.  I just discarded the temps later (the 2 sets of dashes on my chart with the dots all over the place are those 2 times) but it let me see all kinds of interesting things (and I took notes... even if I didn't think to take notes on the Melatonin). 

Sleep deprivation and drinking (Vegas) definitely took mine all over the place.  And once I found out that Provera can stay in your system for a full 2 weeks after the last pill my chart made much more sense... of course there are a ton of other things going on with me, but the chart is really helping.  I never would have looked up Melatonin if I wasn't still charting. 

Plus... even if you don't learn from it, it will keep the habit up and you'll be more likely to keep doing it when you get back. :)
    Off Mirena Nov 2013, On Nuvaring end of Jan, Back off Sept 2014.  Never ending cycle starting end of Sept... 
    01/15 More lab results coming back from RE. U/S showed small (1")cyst on left ovary, thin lining, and couldn't locate right ovary so  possibly straight to DE and IVF 

Occassionally mess with the chart below to see "what if" and learn (not to make it pretty but because FF stays drunk with me).  

My Ovulation Chart
  • What??? I take Melatonin and my OB never told me that I shouldn't be taking it. I take it every night, it's the only way I can sleep through the night without waking up :( 

I was taking 5mg, what dose are you taking?

I guess I will look into stopping it! I am at the IL's for 2 weeks and I forgot it so I guess I can get used to it. I also didn't bring my BBT with me and MH was ecstatic that the alarm would not be going off at 5:35am every morning of our vacation lol 
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Nikolie93 maybe if you did it every night it wouldn't change your BBT, that's the only reason I looked it up.  It's supposed to be a naturally occuring thing but well.. I'm ditching it.  I already have enough questionable issues going on without adding another question mark. 

I don't take it regularly anyway, just when I do too much screen time and want to make sure I sleep.  I read somewhere about yellow lenses... it's the blue light that tells your brain to stay awake (which means laptops and tvs are bad... both of which I'm guilty of right before bed).

My Ovulation Chart
  • I usually take it every night because I have always had issues with waking up between 2 and 4 am. As soon as I wake up my mind turns on and I can't get back to sleep. I find the Melatonin helps keep me asleep. 

I just read the article and also noticed it can effect blood pressure. There is just too many things I read that have me side eyeing it so I am going to stop. 

Also, I forgot to say thanks for posting this @vh2014
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• @vh2014  I think I will keep temping like you suggested but it is going to be weird for sure! I travel for 24 hrs leaving in the morning but when I get there it is midnight... I should probably do OPK's as well this month (I am just an idiot when it comes to reading them!!)

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @susykat77 that's why i do the ClearBlue OPK (not advanced) because I can only handle the smiley/no smiley for reading right now.  I over analyze everything. Feel like for now might as well use up what I have since I see the RE on the 15th. My original plan was to use those first and then "graduate" to the Wondfos so I could understand what lighter/darker meant... but now I'm headed to RE so probably will just do whatever he says and temp because that seems to ease my stress and give me something to analyze. :)

My Ovulation Chart
  • That is crazy about that study. One of the "natural" treatments to help egg quality is taking 3mg of melotonin every night in conjunction with other supplements! Why oh why can't anybody make up their mind on this stuff!?
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • That is crazy about that study. One of the "natural" treatments to help egg quality is taking 3mg of melotonin every night in conjunction with other supplements! Why oh why can't anybody make up their mind on this stuff!?
    No kidding.  The 2nd article is from Mayo clinic, they are considered pretty reliable.. but then again I've seen the cholesterol and egg debate go back and forth between "reliable" sources. 

We'll see what my temp does tomorrow morning.  If it goes back up I'm chalking up the super low temp to Melatonin.  I've got other things going on anyway and won't know the full extent of them until I see the RE on the 15th so that could cause it too... I just thought the articles were interesting.  

My Ovulation Chart
  • vh2014

I don't know why the "@s to me aren't coming up! Anyway, as for your egg thing, I'll just answer that (and this is coming from a steadfast whole foods person). In the early 80s, they were trying to figure out why heart disease was increasing in the US, so they put out all of these dietary standards. One was the whole egg cholesterol thing, another was shaming fat from dairy and meat products (thus creating the whole skim/reduced fat stuff--more money!!). Meanwhile, processed food sales (with all sorts of non-healthy oils) was sky rocketing. So were American waistlines and heart disease increased over this time period. The tide is now turning that whole milk and whole eggs and whole everything is the right way to go, with people who eat whole food diets being leaner and healthier. Good fats fill you up!

One thing I learned from a Johns Hopkins doctor, where, again, no docs can agree on anything, but that eating organic is the way to go. They had just done a study showing that people with illness who ate organic healed faster than nonorganic people. The body doesn't have to fight/process so many chemicals. Just a side note ;)

Other than that, nobody can seem to agree on natural fertility supps: royal jelly, DHEA (ok while being monitored--not ok to go solo), melotonin, myo-isotol, chinese herbs, etc. The only thing docs do agree on is CoQ10!

*****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"