January 2015 Moms

Madelyn's Birth Story

thompniathompnia member
edited December 2014 in January 2015 Moms
Thursday at work I was a walking machine. Usually I walk 10,000 steps by lunch, and about 3,000 after. That day I walked 22,000. I did stairs and laps all around the hospital. I would feel contractions and pressure during each bout of walking, but they would fade pretty quickly after. My mother in law made tacos for dinner, to which I added extra hot sauce. My son had a talk with my belly about how baby sister needed to come out. My husband and I dtd, and I inserted two evening primrose oil capsules before bed.

When I woke up on Friday, I really debated going to work. My back was sore, people at work had been driving me crazy, and I wasn't looking forward to my assignment at all. In the end, I decided that I should go, and away I went.

I stopped at the gas station for a fountain pop and popcorn like usual. As I went to fill my cup, I felt a gush in my pants (6:30 AM) I rushed to the bathroom. There was about a three inch wet spot in the front of my pants (the pantiliner acted like a ramp,) but I wasn't sure if it was my water, pee, or other juicy loveliness from the night before. Either way, I needed to go home to at least change.

My work gives a half point whether you are one minute or two hours late, so I called and said I would either be in at nine or not at all. I texted my husband about my dilemma. Then I got my pop and popcorn and headed home. I called him on the way home, and as more gushes occurred, I asked him to come home.

I was 95% sure that my water was indeed broken at this point, but I wasn't feeling contractions yet. So I took a shower and told my husband to pack up his stuff and clean a little for whoever would be watching the dogs. (He had just dropped our son at daycare when I texted.) As I got out of the shower, I had about a two minute worth stream of water come out - I had no doubts what it was now!

My husband called the chiropractor to see if he would be in the office soon (it was a half hour before they open) and he said he would come right in. I texted my sister and my OB, and we got ready to go!

While waiting for the chiropractor, I started feeling intermittent pressure in my pelvis. I wasn't 100% they were contractions, but they weren't timeable. We both got adjusted, and off to the hospital we went.

We arrived at about 8:00, and they put me in triage. While I was hooked up to the monitors and waiting to be checked to confirm my water was broken, baby had a big decel. After changing positions a few times, she perked up and they started an iv. Still feeling pressure off and on, but monitor wasn't really picking up contractions.

At about 8:45, my OB came in, confirmed j was ruptured and a loose 4cm, baby high. We discussed starting pit if the contractions didn't pick up, and I got transferred to a labor room. My favorite resident was working, and I loved my nurse. She started pitocin at a little after 9:00 (set at 2) and one of my favorite anesthesiologists came in. I wasn't 100% sure I wanted an epidural. He let me know they had a c section scheduled for 1030, so if I wanted one before one I needed to decide by ten.

By 9:45 I decided I wanted the epidural. I was in a decent amount of pain, but could have waited longer. But I knew I didn't want to wait three hours. I was still 4 cm, so I was confident in my decision. By 10:40, my epidural was in and I was "comfortable." There was of putting in an IUPC because contractions still weren't being picked up, but we waited.

At 11:00, they came in to put the IUPC in, and the resident was shocked that I was 9 cm and fading fast. He just got the IUPC in before I was complete. They wanted me to labor down, and I had just pushed my epidural button, so I tried to relax.

I kept saying I didn't think.it would be long, and the resident came back so I could push. He told my OB to get her running g shoes on and come over. After 10 minutes.of rather unproductive pushing, I was given oxygen because her heartrate was so low. I asked for the epidural to be turned off. Pushing got better, but they staryed to threaten with the vacuum. It was assumed that baby was OP.

At 12:04, after 30 minutes exactly of pushing, Madelyn Grace entered the world - staring at the sky. She was just perfect. No tear for me. Both my OB and the resident said most patients can't push their babies out like that and end up in c section. Placenta was intact, but showed signs of wear and it was decided it was good that she came when she did.

Sorry for the length, but I couldn't help but share it all!

Edited to add story and pip.

Re: Madelyn's Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"