May 2014 Moms

Red and puffy under eyes

We've all been sick with what the doctors keep saying is just a cold, and we keep passing it around.  This is DS's second round of it.  He had two days of a fever and extreme snot everywhere!  Now the fever's gone, the snot in his nose is lessening, but he has these red puffy circles under his eyes and lots of discharge from his eyes.  When we went to the doctor he had the eye discharge and the doctor said everything with the eyes was consistent with drainage from the cold and not an eye infection.  But now we've added these puffy red circles under the eyes.  The kid looks so sad.  I'm guessing it's just from the cold, but I'm a little concerned.  Anyone else's kid have these red puffy circles with a cold?  When do they go away?  Anything I can do to ease the redness and puffiness?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Red and puffy under eyes

• Thanks for the ideas and advice.  I wondered about an allergic reaction too.  I'll probably follow up with the doctor.  
  • I always vote for following up with the doctor, but it could just be a viral conjunctivitis. Very common after a cold and will resolve on it's own. If his eyes are very swollen (almost swollen shut) and bright future red with a fever, call your pedi right away. If there's thick whitish drainage, it could be bacterial pink eye and he may need antibiotics.
  • Loading the player...
  • No fever right now, and no whitish drainage!  
  • becole42 said:
    @ns1‌ did it go away?
    I did get better on its own actually.  I was going to get in touch with the doctor again today, but yesterday it was a lot better, and today his eyes are back to normal minus a little drainage that we typically get with sniffles.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"