Stay at Home Moms

Stromboli Recipes. Troubleshoot my results/give me tips.

On Christmas Eve, my brother's family is arriving in the evening, time depends on weather. We are making stromboli (the frozen bread dough rolled up with meat and cheese thing) to have something "easy" and kid-friendly but warm and tasty. It's supposed to be super easy. However, I did a test run. I'm not a horrible cook, but 
1. my bread dough wouldn't "roll." It was so elastic it just kept snapping back into a ball. Did the best I could by kind of tacking down the edges and pulling it out. 
2. REcipe I used said to bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. It was still doughy in the middle. Guessing try one of the ones that says 350 for longer? Anyone do this a lot and how do you cook yours? I sliced mine and put the slices back in the oven. Tasted great but it wasn't pretty.
3. If you make this, any favorite fillings? I was thinking just a ham/cheese one and then also a pizza-y one with sausage or pepperoni, cheese, dipping sauce. 
Thanks!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Stromboli Recipes. Troubleshoot my results/give me tips.

• My husband's family does stromboli on Christmas Eve every year! 
    Usually, his mom makes her own bread dough, but when I make it here at the house I use Pillsbury pizza dough (refrigerated tube). After stretching it across a sheet pan, I layer ham, pepperoni, and then cheese. Then, I roll it long-ways, tucking in the ends.  I preheat the oven to 375 degrees and it's usually done in about 25 minutes. Good Luck!

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• I make it from time to time and get the dough from the local pizzeria. Stretch it layer it with ingredients of choice usually do spinach and cheese and/or pepperoni and cheese. Roll it long ways and lightly bursh with olive oil. Preheat oven 375 and bake till golden brown. Slice and serve.
  • Loading the player...
  • I dont make it but my SIL  does and I know she uses pizza dough either that she made or the fresh kind that you can buy at the grocery store

• 1. my bread dough wouldn't "roll." It was so elastic it just kept snapping back into a ball. Did the best I could by kind of tacking down the edges and pulling it out. Like with pizza dough, it's important to let it be at room temperature for a LONG time. Roll it out, leave it 20mins, roll it somemore, leave it another 20mins, etc. Some times, I brush extra virgin olive oil on a flat sheet pan and roll the dough out on it as the oil helps it stick and stretch and NOT snap back. Give it a try! Bonus: the oil helps it brown and crisp when baking :)

2. REcipe I used said to bake at 400 for about 20 minutes. It was still doughy in the middle. Guessing try one of the ones that says 350 for longer? Anyone do this a lot and how do you cook yours? I sliced mine and put the slices back in the oven. Tasted great but it wasn't pretty. For all calzones and stromboli, I use 350 for at least 30minutes. Some times 40minutes. It's so dense and thick all rolled up like that, I'm guessing you need a lower temp for a longer period of time. Do you par-cut it, too? After rolling, make shallow slits across the top to sort of set where you plan to cut it once it bakes. Looks really pretty!

3. If you make this, any favorite fillings? I was thinking just a ham/cheese one and then also a pizza-y one with sausage or pepperoni, cheese, dipping sauce. Browned Italian sausage with spinach and provolone is my fav! I've also done turkey, pesto, mozzarella which was delicious.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"