Natural Birth
Options

Evening Primrose Oil

Hi Ladies, sorry if this has been discussed to death, but after a quick search I didn't see many recent posts about the topic :)

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with using EPO?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Evening Primrose Oil

• Options
    I used it with my DD. I went into labour the first night I used it (39 weeks), and my entire labour was 6 hours from first contractions to baby in my arms. Not sure if that's actually what did it, or if it was just time. Lol my DH and I also had sex the same night, so hard to say what actually did it. But definitely not a negative experience.
  • Options
    I used it with DD, not sure if it really made a difference for me.  I think I started using it at 36w?  Maybe 37.  My labor was typical for a FTM (17.5 hours) pushed for an hour.  I did not take it with DS.  His EDD was 12/26 and I was hoping he would wait until after Christmas, so I didn't do anything to encourage him to come.  He did wait until after and I was in labor for a little over 2 hours with him.  I think Red Raspberry Leaf Tea helped, I know I will be doing that again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started with EPO at 37 weeks orally. Then tried internally once at 38.5 weeks and went into labor that night. After a five hour labor my son was born. But I also accidentally listened to the hypnosis session that is supposed to start labor that same night. No clue if anything actually started labor or if it was just my time. I just know I won't take EPO internally or listen to that session again until I'm really full term this time!!!  I was so not prepared to go into labor that night!

Oh, I also drank RRL from week 16 on.  I actuLly really love the stuff so I drink it now even when not pregnant.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    My midwife recommended I start take evening primrose oil starting at 37 weeks. I take one capsule orally in the morning and then 2 vaginally at night. She said I can actually do 2-3 at night, so now that I'm 39 weeks, I'm going to bump it up to 3. She said that it won't do anything to induce labor, but just kind of "primes" the cervix and reduces the risk of me going way past my due date. I figure it can't hurt.
  • Options
    I used it with both of my girls. With my first I still had a long labor (27 hours plus and additional 3 hours of pushing). With my second I had a quick labor (2 hours and only 3 pushes) I definitely think it helped both times. By the time I checked into the hospital with both I was already dilated to a 6. My first labor would have been shorter if my daughter was in the correct position. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    mc0113mc0113 member
    edited December 2014
    FTM and have been drinking RRL tea since 30 weeks and taking EPO since 36 weeks. As of my 40week appt yesterday I was already 3.5/almost 4 cm dilated, 70% effaced, baby at +2 station and the midwife commented on how soft my cervix is - all without any real contractions just Braxton hicks. Today's my due date and still no baby but hopefully it'll help with labor and delivery.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ftm. Starting drinking RRL tea at 37, took EPO starting 38 and my water broke at 39+0. My entire labor was less than 5 hours and I almost had her in the car! I accidentally went natural. Got to the hospital and had her in my arms 36 minutes later. I believe it helped a lot!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"