Breastfeeding

Night time feedings and sleep

I have a 6 week old, and he still wakes up around every 2 hours to eat.  However, he doesn't feed for long.  He either gets very sleepy or uninterested.  And so I've done all the tricks like raspberries, tickling feet, baby wipe, and he might wake up for a few minutes, but won't really feed.  I'd like to keep him full overnight so he gets a longer stretch.  Any advice? 

Re: Night time feedings and sleep

• If he is ebf, and that is what you are trying to do then no advice. My DD will b 6 months on Christmas day and just started sleeping through the night literally in the past 3 weeks. Even if baby is tired, he wants to eat so often for a lot of reasons, you just kinda have to go with the flow...
  • I agree that the 6 week growth spurt is one of the worse...but after this you'll get a bit of a break until the 3 month one. It's common for newborns to fall asleep when nursing, but like PP said, changing the diaper between sides can help. Also feeding with LO only in a diaper and tickling toes or a wet washcloth can also make feedings last longer by keeping them awake GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Loading the player...
  • I don't expect him to sleep through the night, just longer stretches than 2 hours.  He'll actually be 7 weeks tomorrow.  And we've tried all the tricks, they only work for a few minutes of additional awake time.  Hoping this will get easier and baby and I get more sleep.
  • EBF babies tend to not sleep for as long as formula fed ones. So don't compare to that. The first few months are exhausting. You are right in the middle of a big growth spurt so all the feedings are increasing your supply.
    Don't get discouraged right now. Just follow baby's lead and things will get better!
  • I will tell you that shortly after 6 weeks, all 3 of my LOs who were EBF started doing a good 5 hour sleep stretch.  However, this may go from 8pm to 1am (for example) so I would go straight to bed as soon as I finished nursing regardless of the time, once the longer stretches began.  It will get better! 

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"