Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

STM: Transition to bed?

CageyMackCageyMack member
edited December 2014 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
DS is almost 21 months old and is very busy, a light sleeper and wakes early.  He has yet to try to get out of his crib, which is good.  He also has a toddler bed in his room, and has started recognizing that it is for sleeping (sometimes curls up on it, says, "nigh-nigh").  

How did you successfully transition your wiggly kiddo to a bed?  And when did you do this, age wise?

And, yes, I have a bigger kid (so I should know how to do this!), but they are completely different sleepers; she was in a toddler bed pretty early and slept soundly, not a busy-body, etc.  I recall just putting her in it and after a few nights of returning her when she woke up, that was it.  

TIA!

CageyMack
37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

Re: STM: Transition to bed?

• Options
    I would wait. 21 mos is still young if he's not climbing out. There's no rush.

I transitioned DD at 3 and we are transitioning DS this weekend at 27 months but that's because he was trying to get out.
  • Options
    DS1 was a few months over 3 and we only transitioned him from a crib to a twin because he was potty trained.  He never tried to climb out and seemed to be a wild (but great) sleeper.  He did fine transitioning straight to a twin bed even though he was all over the place.  We didn't use bed rails and he never fell out.  

DS2 is still in a crib and we'll keep him in the crib until 3 or he potty trains.  He is a wild sleeper so I may do bedrails this time (DS1 had a trundle so we just pulled it out for the first few weeks) but I'm in no hurry to switch him.  I like him being contained.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Only 21 months and a new babe arriving soon? I agree with holding off- unless you were hoping to use the crib for the baby...
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Transitioned DD at 26 months when we potty trained. Will do the same for DS except a little earlier so maybe 24 months.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    My daughter is about 2 years and 7 months old and I still have her in a crib. I'm in no rush at all. She climbed out of it a few times and then stopped. She's a hyper little thing and I know that when we try to get her in a toddler bed all hell will break lose. For now I'm just enjoying her being contained. ;)

When we finally do transition her I'm just going to put her in her toddler bed and tell her not to get up. She will most likely disobey 8,000 times and we will have to battle it out all night for a few nights. I plan on getting a baby gate for her room at that time so she doesn't terrorize the entire house if she gets up. lol

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I transitioned my son at 23 months, so about a month ago because he outgrew his mini crib (we weren't expecting him to be so big for his age). He's thankfully a heavy sleeper, so once he falls asleep he's down until morning but he is very busy. It used to take him nearly an hour of quietly playing in his crib to fall asleep. We have to sit in his room in order for him to stay in the bed and every once in awhile remind him it's na night time. It takes him anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and a half to fall asleep.  If you can keep him in there longer I would! Some nights I wish I just bought a bigger crib rather than transitioning him before he was ready.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"