December 2014 Moms

Placenta encapsulation

Hi everyone. I decided to do this after hearing that it's helped people with PPD, energy post partum and a faster recovery from birth. So far i feel a real difference in all these things compared to my experience with DS1 two years ago. Wondering if any of you have had a similar experience? I'm still a little grossed out by the idea, but feel so good that it doesn't matter.

Re: Placenta encapsulation

• Another FTM, one week PP. I've been taking mine for a few days. Nothing to compare it to, but I feel great. Emotionally and physically. I've even been alone with LO 16 hours a day for the last 3 days and I'm able I keep up with everything.

Out of curiousity: how many capsules did y'all get from yours and what was LO's birth weight?

I got 225 capsules and he weighed 8 lbs 15 oz
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah... that was the plan. I was planning to tincture and encapsulate had I realized it was in the darn fridge all this time (sort of hidden away -- totally missed it). There was so much going on after her birth between getting me taken care of and cleaning up that I totally forgot to ask about it. I just assumed they took it with them. Nope. Three weeks later my eldest is asking me what I plan to do with the placenta. *kicks rocks*

It would have *really* helped with my postpartum anemia. *sigh* I tinctured some of it last time (and tried small bits in a fruit/protein smoothie -- yes, for real). I did feel awesome physically. I generally feel fine after birth, physically speaking, but I still had PPD or an overlap of grief/mourning, so a mix of both. That and all of the breastfeeding/pumping struggles for many months.

This time, I feel like I've been hit by a mack truck from the blood loss. I still feel achy/sluggish and extremely tired if I don't get a couple naps in. It would have been interesting to see how the encapsulated placenta would have affected the postpartum recovery period. Rest, skin-to-skin cuddles and Floradix are my go-to now.

I'm glad it's working great for you mamas! :)
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Loading the player...
  • @MissChristineMarie‌ we really lucked out that our midwife does the encapsulation so it wasn't very expensive.

@Momtobe85‌ ours did the heart with the cord too. I have no idea what to do with it, but it was cute.
  • Heart shaped keepsake with the umbilical cord?

I could post a picture, it's not really gross. It looks like folk art. You'd never know what it was if someone didn't tell you. Is that straying in to mucous plug territory though to post a picture?
  • Interesting- definitely something I may try if we have more kids. Glad it's working out well for all of you!
  • I plan to do it! Just waiting on LO to make his appearance first.
  • I was quoted $75, so maybe ask around. I didn't do it, but can't imagine that it hurts. O
    EDD 12/3/14 First time Mom!

D14 Free for All

These two are just so funny...

Also, due date has come, gone and I am just so anxious to meet baby!  Please be healthy and strong baby, mama can't wait to meet you :)
  • Wow! So good to hear it's been so helpful for so many of you! I wish I could have done this for my first, but in reality couldn't have as I had an infection during labour and the placentas no good for ingestion with that condition. You've all done really well with the amount of capsules! My LO was 9lbs and I got 115 capsules. I paid $250 for the service. That's the average price around here, so I couldn't have gotten it for less. I'm glad I could afford to do it. Our person picked up the placenta and delivered too, but $75 would have been super cheap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"