September 2012 Moms
Options

Dinner problems

We are struggling so much with Maya's eating. I don't know what to do at this point. We were just offering food and she could eat it or not. She rejected nearly everything every night. So we started making her eat 2 bites before she could get down. That worked for the first week, but the last couple of weeks it has turned into a terrible thing where she sits there for an hour, refusing to eat and ends up having to go straight to bed because, by the time she finally eats the two bites, it's bedtime. The last two nights she has peed in her chair too. On purpose. Yep, it's bad.

I told DH we need to start using the chart I made again and letting her earn a token each night for trying everything on her plate to get a special something on the weekend. I don't know why, but he hates using the chart and never really follows through. His inconsistency is why we stopped using it in the first place. He says he will do it, but I have so little faith. I am really at the end of my rope.

I don't want to restart the food debate, so let me just include that we are not willing to make her a preferred item to eat each night. Ethan eats what we eat, we feel like she can too.

P&R-  I have a meeting, be back in a bit.

Re: Dinner problems

• Options
    Ugh, I feel like I don't have good suggestions. I'm another "we all eat the same meal" kind of mom. Is she saying she hates the food or isn't hungry? Is there any way to get her involved in meal planning for the week? Maybe if she had a hand in picking some of the food, she'd be more inclined to eat it? Also, can you cut back just slightly on what she eats earlier in the day? Maybe if she has a smaller lunch/afternoon snack, she'll be more hungry and ready to at least take a few bites.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    melody921 said:
    Ugh, I feel like I don't have good suggestions. I'm another "we all eat the same meal" kind of mom. Is she saying she hates the food or isn't hungry? Is there any way to get her involved in meal planning for the week? Maybe if she had a hand in picking some of the food, she'd be more inclined to eat it? Also, can you cut back just slightly on what she eats earlier in the day? Maybe if she has a smaller lunch/afternoon snack, she'll be more hungry and ready to at least take a few bites.

She's saying she hates the food, but she won't try it.  The pedi told us to keep offering and she will eventually start adding to her menu, but we have been doing this with her for 2 years and aren't making any progress at all.  She is never breaking down and trying anything. I've tried letting her pick things but last night we had a pasta that she picked out at the store and she refused to eat it at all.  I've also tried letting her help make it, but that doesn't seem to work either.  I make her lunch for school at least 3 days a week, so I know she is eating a regular portion (1/2 sandwich, go-gurt or cheese stick, veggie straws or goldfish).  The school gives them snacks and they don't really tell us how much she eats.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ((hugs)) I don't know that I have any good suggestions, but I'm sorry you guys are dealing with this.  Kids are hard.

I'd try the chart again.  But consistency is important.  The other thing we've learned with rewards is that the earlier the gratification the better.  Can you make it so that she can earn something special every night or so?  Do you try: if you eat this, we'll give you xyz (something she loves).  We don't have quite the battle in our house, but we do that if he's being picky about a certain item.  We'll give him more of something he likes if he eats more of the thing he doesn't.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    Is she just more of a lunch person? DD and DH both seem to prefer to eat their larger meals at breakfast and lunch and have a much smaller dinner. I'm able to make normal dinners and pack/serve the leftovers for lunch for them. They both tend to pick a bit at the meal and really only eat the salad/veg or fruit. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My only tricks are probably not sustainable :(  I've had some nights where I give stickers for bites or offer her a bite of "x" if she takes a bit of "y."  X = fruit, Y = nutritious dinner.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    I hope someone has some good advice for you.  Reading this makes me realize how much worse it can get, and it's already a freaking battle sometimes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options

I'm sorry. I feel like I have no advice. B eats good some days and others not so much. He'll refuse to eat dinner and sometimes he does go to bed without eating anything. I know if he's hungry he'll eat. DH started to tell him not to eat things to play a game and that actually really works. He tried eggs about 8 months ago and wouldn't touch them since then. He actually ate a few bites the other night.

Also does she get a snack later at school that might be affecting her appetite at home? I know if B eats too much of a snack or too late he doesn't want dinner.

Sorry you're having to go through this. Just know if she's really truly hungry she'll eat.

• Options
    I don't have any suggestions, although I like what others are saying.  The one thing I did want to comment on is that you said she should be able to eat what everyone eats because Ethan does, but (and I'm sure you know this) kids are different and have different needs. 

Maybe it's like @akb090609 said and she just doesn't want to eat much for dinner.  Maybe it's a sensory thing?  It might be worth getting feedback from school about how snacks go. 
  • Options
    MRoxy0628 said:
    I don't have any suggestions, although I like what others are saying.  The one thing I did want to comment on is that you said she should be able to eat what everyone eats because Ethan does, but (and I'm sure you know this) kids are different and have different needs. 

Maybe it's like @akb090609 said and she just doesn't want to eat much for dinner.  Maybe it's a sensory thing?  It might be worth getting feedback from school about how snacks go. 

What I meant by saying that Ethan eats what we eat is that it isn't un-kid-friendly (spicy, strange) food.  I definitely know all kids have different needs.  If it was up to her she would eat the same 5 items for every meal:  bread/pasta, cheese, PB&J, fruit, plain tomato sauce.

She will eat any kind of carby snack item.  She will eat Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets from Costco, but not any other kind.  She will eat spaghetti with tomato sauce, but not rotini with tomato sauce.  It's things like that that make me so frustrated.  I know she has some hesitation about textures, like lots of kids do, and I'm ok with that.  It's the extreme pickiness that becomes really frustrating.

I'm going to try to incorporate some rewards and maybe some of the game stuff you guys have suggested.  She will eat all or most of her dinner if I serve a preferred food, so I don't think it's lack of hunger.  We have only been asking her to take 2 bites of things, not clean her plate.  I am going to try to incorporate more raw veggies because she may eat those more.  She has eaten them some in the past but, for some reason, I never think to incorporate them with dinner unless it's a salad.

• Options
    MRoxy0628 said:

What I meant by saying that Ethan eats what we eat is that it isn't un-kid-friendly (spicy, strange) food.  I definitely know all kids have different needs.  If it was up to her she would eat the same 5 items for every meal:  bread/pasta, cheese, PB&J, fruit, plain tomato sauce.

She will eat any kind of carby snack item.  She will eat Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets from Costco, but not any other kind.  She will eat spaghetti with tomato sauce, but not rotini with tomato sauce.  It's things like that that make me so frustrated.  I know she has some hesitation about textures, like lots of kids do, and I'm ok with that.  It's the extreme pickiness that becomes really frustrating.

I'm going to try to incorporate some rewards and maybe some of the game stuff you guys have suggested.  She will eat all or most of her dinner if I serve a preferred food, so I don't think it's lack of hunger.  We have only been asking her to take 2 bites of things, not clean her plate.  I am going to try to incorporate more raw veggies because she may eat those more.  She has eaten them some in the past but, for some reason, I never think to incorporate them with dinner unless it's a salad.

Is she still getting any type of therapy? Can they add in the sensory issue, food issues? There is a therapists that comes to our daycare every Thursday that works with a few kids on their food issues. She sits with them (one session at a time) at a table in the cafe (I sit with my kids at drop off for them to eat the buffet breakfast so I see her) and works through a plate of food with them. I'm not sure who is paying for it and if it was set up through the county/state/or school. But maybe worth looking into bringing in some outside help.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    MRoxy0628 said:

Is she still getting any type of therapy? Can they add in the sensory issue, food issues? There is a therapists that comes to our daycare every Thursday that works with a few kids on their food issues. She sits with them (one session at a time) at a table in the cafe (I sit with my kids at drop off for them to eat the buffet breakfast so I see her) and works through a plate of food with them. I'm not sure who is paying for it and if it was set up through the county/state/or school. But maybe worth looking into bringing in some outside help.
    No, she doesn't get any therapy, I just know she has issues because transitioning her from baby food to real food was hard.  Usually she pokes things or feels them and if they seem weird, she won't even attempt to eat them.
  • Options

First of all big hugs, this sounds like a frustrating situation to be in!

Kate was struggling to eat lately, and we also tried implementing the two bite rule. She likes a lot of different types of food, but just doesn't want to eat at night, even her favorite things.

One thing we've been trying with her babysitter is no snacking at all between meals. I know it seems a little cruel not to give a kid a snack during the day (she obviously can have water and milk if she wants it) but her appetitie is so little that if she even eats a handful of goldfish or one pouch of applesauce then it crushes her appetite for several hours.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited December 2014
    I haven't read all the previous responses, so ignore if it's already been said, but can you include her in food prep more?  Take her shopping and have her pick out new foods to try?  Even let her help you come up with a little meal plan and decide on a reward ahead of time if she eats the food she picked out?  Sometimes even getting kids involved in the cooking makes them more excited about it.  Maybe buy her an apron and chef hat and let her do some easy mixing etc.   I think Sophia ate more pizza yesterday because I let her pound on the dough... granted it's pizza, but I think it could work on healthy foods too!
  • Options
    bosha711bosha711 member
    edited December 2014
    Hugs!

Things we've done for ds in the past is: having the kids see who is going to beat who to finish all their food. Winner gets dessert. And MH will pretend like he's going to eat DS's food...pull his plate toward him, or sneak his fork onto his plate to poke at his food.

I will turn it into a math lesson. I'll ask him to tAke bites counting down from 10. Or eat 3 bites plus 2 bites. Also, he's big on patterns thanks to Umi Zoomie so I'll line pieces of food up in a pattern (meat, veggie, grain, meat, veggie, grain) & ask him to eat it.

• Options
    We've also been talking about why each food is good for her.  You get protein in your chicken, you get vitamins and minerals in your carrots, you get carbs in your rice.  Then after she got used to us doing that, we'd ask her where she thought the protein was.  Not sure if that helps her eat more or not, but it keeps her interested in her food, and maybe makes her understand why she can't just eat carrots, because there's no protein and she'd get hungry again.
  • Options
    Have you ever looked into the concept of "food chaining"? Once a guest lecturer in grad school was a feeding therapist and it was one of the interesting ideas. I actually really liked  the other approaches she shared as well- sequential oral approach I believe it was called- essentially baby steps towards eating and trying new things. 

• Options
    I have zero advice my tactics are THT style eat this and get this. Obviously not good long term solons.  But a M14 mamma said she had success with this plate and her big kid.

• Options
    danabsd said:

I have zcero advice my tactics are THT style eat this and get this. Obviously not good long term solons.  But a M14 mamma said she had success with this plate and her big kid.

Ooh, I like this. We got her Candyland for Christmas, so she may like the game idea. We agreed to start with the chart for both kids, to promote a little extra incentive since Ethan usually will earn. I may order this plate too, if that doesn't work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"