Working Moms

Nanny Q re: hourly pay

One of our two nannys will be working for us full time come January. She was initially working about 18 hours a week with us. She started working with us in mid October. We have one daughter (19 months). We currently pay her $13/hour which seems to be at the high end of nanny care for one child in our city (large midwestern city). She mentioned that when she comes to work for us full time she will need a pay raise because she'll be unable to continue working her second job. We aren't sure what to do, according to several sources we are already at the top of our pay range and we really can't afford to go much higher. She would be working between 43 and 45 hours a week. She does light house keeping (e.g. loading dishwasher and laundry some food prep but nothing major).

I'm just hoping for some feedback from you all on if we should try and figure out how to pay her more or if we should stay with our current offer. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nanny Q re: hourly pay

• Well, it sounds like you've made her an offer, it's what you can afford and also sounds like its generously within community norms.  

If she needs more to go f/t then you just kind of have to see if that fits in your budget and if you think she's worth it...

For us, we are near the top of the pay scale in our area and so I wouldn't increase pay to go f/t after 2.5 months working with you half time.

At the top of the scale, you can find lots of good candidates here.
  • Thanks. Both good points. I really just needed to confirm that I wasn't being ridiculous. We are meeting on Monday so we'll see what she decides.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We pay our nanny by the week.  She may work more or fewer hours on a given week (but not more than the maximum we had hired her for).  We negotiated the weekly rate in advance loosely based on an hourly rate we were all comfortable with.  If you think you are already at the upper limit of the usual pay range in your area and you are not extremely attached to your nanny, I would consider interviewing some other candidates rather than going over your budget for childcare.  Also, you could tell her you feel that you are offering her a reasonable / generous salary and ask for her counter offer to consider.   
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"