New York Babies

Birth Center at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn?

Hi all -

My midwives deliver at Methodist Hospital, and I've heard good things about their birth center, but mediocre things about their traditional L&D (plus a 40% C-section rate for the hospital, which is insane, from a clinical perspective). Anyone have experience delivering there? I'm not far enough along to take a tour (and I will ask my M/W some questions next week), but I was wondering how people's experiences were?

I'd like to have minimal interventions if possible, just for context.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birth Center at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn?

• I'm also considering Methodist and would love to know what people's experiences were. Thanks!
  • I delivered at Methodist in January of 2011.  I walked in to triage at approx 3am well advanced in my labor so there was no problem with me being seen and taken in right away.  I requested an attending for my epidural and did not have to wait at all. By the time they moved me to the birthing room he was practically waiting for me.  I loved the birthing room, very elegant/cozy yet functional.  My husband got a sleeper chair right by my bed. Due to some fetal decelerations they started mentioning a possible c-section but i held them off and was able to deliver vaginally with no complications.  Loved the nurses!  Residents were iffy as my husband had to leave the room and remind them twice I was ready to push.

Then we moved to the Mother/Baby unit which I didn't like at all.  It was outdated and they were having problems with the heating so my baby and I were constantly sweating.  There was no lip to the floor level shower so every time I bathed the entire bathroom would flood.  Who the hell designed that!  Every morning and change of shift they would insist that all the babies be returned to the nursery, and then it was a constant battle with them to get my baby back, with reasons like "we have to take blood." Then every half hour I would go back and it still wouldn't have been done, more waiting.  And he was a breast milk only baby so of course I was worried he was starving.  Eventually me crying at the nursery desk made the kind receptionist take action and get the ball rolling.

All in all, half my experience was great, the other bad.  I think I will be delivering somewhere else if God blesses me with a second child. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, that's really helpful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Can anyone suggest a doctor who delviers at Methodist?
  • imageIcecream4me:
    Can anyone suggest a doctor who delviers at Methodist?

Dr. Yael Fuchs 263 7th Ave 718-768-4338

I love her and she delivered all three of my children at Methodist.  All three were vaginal deliveries.  I had both positive and negative experiences at the hospital itself too long to go into right now. Too be fair, most of the problems were not exactly the hospital's fault.  I highly recommend getting a private room after you deliver!  It is so worth the privacy, cleanliness, and sleep factor!

• That is the hospital my OB is affiliated with (Dr. Thomas Paone), so that's where I'll be delivering in July (if all goes well). 

Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• I delivered here, but in 2007.  To my knowledge, they've updated a lot since then, and even then it was a beautiful facility.  What stands out in my mind is the huge difference between labour and delivery and then recovery re: nursing staff.  My l&d experience was "great" well, besides the labour :-)  The nurses were wonderful and patient but stern enough to get me through.  My midwife was the same.  I played music, they let my mom in and out (she couldn't handle seeing me the entire time), I mean wonderful.  Then there was recovery....

The nurses were either great or oh my God find a new job horrible.  The great ones taught me to swaddle my baby, encourage me in my nursing even though I was discouraged.  The not so great ones wanted me to let them give him enfamil, didn't answer my calls when I was in extreme pain, yeah...not great.     I also didn't like sharing my room.  I think now there are more single rooms available.

Breast feeding - loved the breast feeding consultant on site then.   She was great.

This time, I'm high risk, so my new ob is w/ lich which isn't as pretty as methodist but has nurses and doctors with GREAT reputations in both experience and bedside manner from the ER to the OR.  Good luck!

Pregnancy Tickerimage image image image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does anyone here know if NYM has tubs for water births and/or labor?
  • Hi, curious if anyone wants to share more recent births here? Thanks!
    TTC#1 since Aug 2013, I'm 37, DH 41.  
    Maya Arvigo Abdominal massage (daily self care), plus TTC meditations.
    I'm very sensitive to diet (gluten, avoid processed foods) and environment. Have a history of inflammation and tendinitis before going off gluten in 2009.  
    July 2014 - RE Visit #1: Eggs look good, Endometrioma on R ovary, HSG showed blocked R tube close to ovary. DH SA normal 
    DX: Endometriosis probably the IF cause and gunking up tubes.  Since egg reserve is high, RE says I can wait a couple months and then get laproscopic surgery to remove endo & clear tube.  If that doesn't help then move to IVF. 
    Dec 2014 - Saw new RE - does not recommend surgery on tube as it isn't likely to help.  Doubts I have endometriosis.  My endometrioma shrunk to neglible size (yay!) 
    Seriously considering IVF in March/April
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"