Minnesota Babies
Options

Choices, Choices, Choices...

Hello MN mommies! I am starting to do my research prior to TTC. My former doctor retired so I'm looking for a new one but have decided to try and figure out where I'd prefer to deliver first. Any suggestions between the Mother Baby Center, United and Woodwinds? I've heard good things about all of them and am looking for opinions, good, bad, all are welcome

Re: Choices, Choices, Choices...

• Options
    No recs since I am a first time mom but Methodist Hospital/ Park Nicollet midwives is having an "open house" on the 28th.  The Mother-Baby program at HCMC is also having an orientation on the 28th.  You should check those out.

I am currently set to deliver at Fairview Southdale but have not heard positive things about them…that's why I'm also searching.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP. I found a family practice doctor I liked that does OB care. I delivered where she had privileges, at a Fairview hospital. Great experience. I also went on a tour and took a birth class where I would be delivering. That helped prepare me. GL! It wasn't a fancy birth center but the nurses took great care of me and babe!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm delivering at Woodwinds, but I live in Woodbury and the OB I was already going to is in Woodbury and has privileges at Woodwinds, so it was an easy choice for me.  

Since I'm due in January, it's going to be comforting that the hospital is only 5 miles from my house - I want to be able to get there even if it is snowing! 
  • Options
    Start with your ins. You'll want to find an OB that is in-network. The ins website might list hospital affiliations or check the OB practice website for that info.

No experience with those hospitals.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    I also agree with what the PP have also mentioned - find your doctor first and the hospital second.  When it comes to the hospital - consider things like post partum care as well and how they manage pain PP, also are they equipped with a NICU "just in case" or in the event of an emergency would the baby be transferred someplace else and where.  Not that it's likely to happen, but you want to be relaxed and prepared for the "what if's" so they aren't as frightening  (friends of mine just had their little guy at 33 weeks - her water broke at 24 so she was in-hospital bed rest to monitor for infection, now their little one's in the NICU with normal preemie stuff but she's able to be with baby during her recovery)...  I had complication trips while I was PG and another thing to remember is that your OB won't likely be with you 100% of the time at the hospital and it will be a care team hooked in together.  And, as others mentioned, insurance dictates a lot whether we want to acknowledge that or not. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@TwinsCitiesMomma

I have delivered at Southdale 2x now and while it isn't a fancy mother-baby center, the staff and nurses are great.  You get a private room - with room for Dad to stay too.  They encourage rooming-in for baby, but you can use the nursery if you want.  They are pro-breast feeding as well. 

I successfully vaginally delivered an 11 pounder there (in the OR to be safe) and it was a great experience.  The nurses were fantastic - not pushy about my wishes - gave me time to labor down before pushing - and took great care of us after baby arrived too.

If you like the doc you have that delivers at Southdale - you'll probably be just fine sticking with them.  Sure it isn't a new fancy birth center - but it is nice and a safe place to deliver.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Options

I'm a doula and have been to all the places you listed. I personally like Woodwinds the best because they seem to be more open to different things in my opinion, and the rooms are nice too :) It all depends on what you are looking for. All 3 are good hospitals.  If you are looking for an OB I'd love to throw mine in the mix. He is pretty awesome, and has 2 midwives at his practice now if you are wanting that. Dr. Ashford at Minnesota Womens care. www.mnwcare.com

• Options

@TwinsCitiesMomma

I have delivered at Southdale 2x now and while it isn't a fancy mother-baby center, the staff and nurses are great.  You get a private room - with room for Dad to stay too.  They encourage rooming-in for baby, but you can use the nursery if you want.  They are pro-breast feeding as well. 

I successfully vaginally delivered an 11 pounder there (in the OR to be safe) and it was a great experience.  The nurses were fantastic - not pushy about my wishes - gave me time to labor down before pushing - and took great care of us after baby arrived too.

If you like the doc you have that delivers at Southdale - you'll probably be just fine sticking with them.  Sure it isn't a new fancy birth center - but it is nice and a safe place to deliver.

Thanks for the input!  I actually have decided to switch to Park Nicollet in SLP.  It wasn't just the hospital but the OB office I was going to has been disappointing.  Anyhow, I feel very comfortable with the midwives and am excited to hear more about water births.

Also- Have you seen the Dec brunch thread?  You should join us.  I'm due in March so just a month ahead of you.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd chime in- I had my DD 3 weeks ago at Methodist in SLP and had an awesome experience- the nurses were phenomenal and we were so impressed with the staff and facilities.  I hope that you have a great experience with Park Nicollet/Methodist too!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a wonderful experience with the WHOLE STAFF on the maternity ward of Saint Joseph's in Saint Paul through my birthing process of being in the hospital nine days and an emergency c-section. It was a lot to go through and they helped the whoooole way. Patty and Julie are angels. 
    I hate hospitals and I ended up leaving on a great note.

My doctor, Dan Larkin of Grand Avenue Clinic (HealthEAST) is a GP but he's incredible. Funny, relatable, and knowledgable without scare-tactics or vague responses. He has been our Pediatrician since Rory was born and we still love him..

He remembers everything too.. (or takes incredible notes.)  it's nice to feel like a person with a doctor. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"