High-Risk Pregnancy

Induce or not???

I'm 37 weeks pregnant & am having twice weekly non-stress tests for baby & ultrasounds due to having some issues that needed surgery at 28 weeks & my age (38).  The last two weeks my ultrasound has consistently shown that high levels of amniotic fluid & my midwife has told me that we'll need to discuss inducing if I continue this way.  I really want as natural a labor & birth as possible.  My babies heartbeat is perfect & he's still moving so other than the fluid level I'm not having any issues besides insomnia. 

I'm conflicted whether to let them induce me. 

Re: Induce or not???

• KutiePebblesKutiePebbles member
    edited December 2014
    hi- glad to hear baby boy is doing well.  just wondering what is more concerning- having a baby at 37 wks or being induced because it goes against the natural plan? both have pros and cons.  best pro being that you made it to FT. cons being that induction goes against your plans and could be more intense.  I was already in PTL but still needed pitocin to get my little guy out so i only understand things slightly from personal experience.  either way, i am sure your doctors are great and deciding on a plan with them sooner rather than later is prob best.  i know delivering prior to 40 wks and getting induced is not what you thought would be in the cards, but at the end of the day its all about the health and safety of you and the baby.  stay calm and just go with the flow.  (i have a 29 wker so needless to say, nothing about my pregnancy went as planned when it came to delivery/arrival so the last line is not to be snarky or dismissive).
  • This is where I tend to err on the side of caution and trusting that my doctor knows what is best for both me and the baby.  Whereas I can understand the desire to not be induced, things can wrong and go wrong very quickly.  I'd rather have the induction (I've had one scheduled induction and one labor where my water broke but then no progression so I was given pitocin) than have something go wrong.

If you're concerned about 37 weeks being too early you can request an amnio to test for lung maturity.

I'll add that I've had the two induction labors and two med-free, "natural" births and personally, I'll take the induction anyday so I might be a little biased.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Loading the player...
  • Having had a baby with fluid issues and having an emergency occur I would get induced ASAP. There is no reason to screw around when you've made it this far. Your being selfish, it doesn't matter how this baby comes into the world as long as it's safe/healthy.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Can they try inducing by just breaking your water? That's how I was induced with my son, as I didnt want meds.
  • I took care of a lady with high levels of amniotic fluid. If it was me, depending on if its mild or high levels, I would ask her to admit you and drain some of the fluid. That's what we did with my patient.
    The new guidelines state 39 weeks is when babies are ready to come out, not 37 weeks. I also think its better for baby to bake a little longer because some babies born at 37 weeks have sucking issues. Its up to you, but induction should be the last option when other options haven't been exhausted.

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"